self cancelling blinkers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
....Trust me, every question you are asking has been asked and answered many times...to the point of frustration...when the answer is available by the method above.....
I wonder how long the forum will stay up if there are no more threads, just searches :rolleyes:
Well then....it'd be nice if YOU would have answered with a lengthy posting describing why not and discussing the alternate methods (with the attendaent links to different manufacturer's website). But you didn't.

I find it better to give an answer that:

1) Sends them to past discussions that will let them find an answer.

2) Within my response, give them (and anyone else who reads the thread) a tool to search for answers to their next question.

YMMV, and obviously does.

This particular member asks MANY questions that may have ben answered as Ignacio's post states.

Last edited by a moderator:
What???? No responses from the originator of the thread.... :unsure: :unsure:
The beeping on my Troll-O-Meter™ is getting louder.
If this is the biggest problem the guy's given, I'd sure have patience, no matter how hard my teens tried to destroy it. His dropping off for a while may simply mean he had to suddenly travel the way that I do.

Bob

What???? No responses from the originator of the thread.... :unsure: :unsure:
The beeping on my Troll-O-Meter™ is getting louder.
If this is the biggest problem the guy's given, I'd sure have patience, no matter how hard my teens tried to destroy it. His dropping off for a while may simply mean he had to suddenly travel the way that I do.

Bob
Bob, I certainly agree this could have happened. It seems a little strange that this poster is stuck at home with "Snow" and can't tinker with his bike enough to figure out if he has self-canceling turn signals. Also, I hope he received an owners Manuel with his bike. Sitting around, inside because of snow, is a great time to read......an owners Manuel.

It's almost like asking if the bike runs on gas or water....... <_< Personally mine runs on jet fuel and is the fastest bike in the entire world........ :yahoo: :yahoo: Believe that and I have some nice land I need you to look at for a vacation home.

I hope he returns and the Troll-O-Meter is put to rest....and it isn't Friday yet..... :blink:

Forgot I even asked about this. Thanks Raclow for being a good forum policeman :)

Steve

Youse guys knows what he means! The turn signals on my 1979 Yamaha XS1100SF would "self-cancel" (though sometimes before I wanted them to). It certainly isn't cutting-edge technology for Yamaha to have put them on this bike. That being said, it isn't that difficult to add a unit that will perform the function......if one NEEDS to. :eek: Personally, I find it part of the fun, on a group ride, to tell others (or have them tell me) a bike is "leaking blinker juice"! :lol:

I said exactly the same thing when I bought this thing. I also had a 79 XS1100 that self canceled, My Honda VTX 1800 did not have them, but when I came back to Yamaha, I thought " at least I will not ride around with my turn signal on anymore"

Its 2008 for crying out loud, this bike does everything else, but too cheap for a self cancel turn signal?

Its 2008 for crying out loud, this bike does everything else, but too cheap for a self cancel turn signal?
Don't presume it's a cheapness thing.

I'm, for one, glad they don't exist. They breed complacency. Those that forget to turn off their turn signals are harbingers of larger attention problems in the motorcyclist gene pool. Or at the very least I know when I ride with groups who to avoid and not ride around in the future.

Don't presume it's a cheapness thing.

I'm, for one, glad they don't exist. They breed complacency. Those that forget to turn off their turn signals are harbingers of larger attention problems in the motorcyclist gene pool. Or at the very least I know when I ride with groups who to avoid and not ride around in the future.

Pull the self canceling feature off of your car, and lets see who's

driving down the road looking like they have "large attention problems".

Pull the self canceling feature off of your car, and lets see who's driving down the road looking like they have "large attention problems".
Nope....no problem there either. Wouldn't miss it.
Amen, Brother Ignacio.

My work truck doesn't have self canceling signals...perhaps the issue is we should be paying attention to everything while riding or driving. Or develop good driving habits regardless of the vehicle we are controlling.

Would that mean that if my "self dimming" headlight feature on my car doesn't work properly and the oncoming officer writes me a ticket....its not my fault? Sue the manufacturer?

Don't want this thread to die of natural causes, so I'll bump it with a legit question or two.

I've never had a bike with self cancellers, so I don't know the answer....on those bikes that DO have them, such as the aforementioned XS1100, how did the cancellers work?

Were they triggered by time? Distance? Lateral movement of front forks? Some bizarre combination of the three?

What caused them to shut off, or is it pretty much bike/brand specific for cancellation methods?

I for one would welcome self cancelling blinkers, I would hate to tell the times I have forgotten them. Those of you who ride Gen 1 bikes have it made as the blinkers are right in your face but the Gen 2 are about the size of an erasar on a pencil.

So if anyone comes up with a self cancelling unit he will get my business.

Mac

Don't want this thread to die of natural causes, so I'll bump it with a legit question or two.
I've never had a bike with self cancellers, so I don't know the answer....on those bikes that DO have them, such as the aforementioned XS1100, how did the cancellers work?

Were they triggered by time? Distance? Lateral movement of front forks? Some bizarre combination of the three?

What caused them to shut off, or is it pretty much bike/brand specific for cancellation methods?
Most of the bikes that I know of that have self cancelling is based on time, some of them are even adjustable . Hard to beat that.

Mac

I have them on my RoadStar, but never relied on them anyway. The last thing you need is for your turn signal to stay on long enough after a turn to fool a cager into thinking that you are going to turn when you're NOT :dribble: Sometimes they just stay on too long or too far.

If you start forgetting to turn them off, maybe its a sign that you are getting tired and should think about getting off the road!

I don't miss them on the FJR.

Most of the bikes that I know of that have self cancelling is based on time, some of them are even adjustable . Hard to beat that.
'cept when you're sitting at a LONG-ASSED red light!

I'm thinking some sort of boolean "if/when" logic circuit based on time and distance or wheel revolutions would be ideal. Say, once you hit the switch, the light keeps blinking UNTIL you've travelled a minimum of X feet in Y seconds.

That way, the blinker wouldn't "time out" at a traffic light, but wouldn't continue to blink for an overly long predetermined length of time after changing lanes. A "best of both worlds" kinda-sorta thing.

C'mon, geniuses...who's gonna build one for us?

I'd pay in a New York minute.

This has GOT to be a first.....
.....you and me replyin' to the same thread and NOT bein' smartasses!

"Hello? Apocalypse?"
Something is wrong on the forum all. This post just doesn't make sense. Who are you that took over RadioHowie's body and are all moderate and shit? Are you a hacker....a demon from the 7th level of Hell? What do you want? :blink:

I'm running a Level 1 diagnostic and getting some holy water....STAT! ;)