Sena 20S is not able to pair with a Sena SM10

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niehart

Pie Smuggler
Reaction score
My setup is Zumo 550 and Valentine One radar detector [both hard wired for power] are hooked into my Sena SM10.

My Sena 20S is/was paired to the SM10.

My Sprint Galaxy S III is also paired to the Sena 20S.

I sent the Sena SM10 to Sena for warranty repairs and now I can't get it to pair with the Sena 20S.

I'm trying to pair using 'Second Mobile Phone Pairing' with no luck.

Any help would be appreciated.

None of the diagrams show an SM10 in "Second Mobile Phone Pairing" position. All show as "Mobile Phone Pairing"...suggesting that may be the only pairing mode it can do for that particular device. Additionally, the instructions call out the SR10 and GPS as being opitons for second mobile, but are curiously mute on the SM10. It also talks about "HFP" devices...is the SR10 one of those? Or maybe this has to do with that "A2DP" thing.

Assuming you have an actual mobile phone...can you swap the two's position in pairing?

I note I have a set of 20S on my shelf that I need to bring up to speed with my other devices, but still running my SMH10. I do have an e-mail from another FJR rider that details to the nth level (i.e. 590LM, V1, SR10, etc.) his particular setup that he made work...which is what I'm aiming for since mine is very similar. PM if you want a copy of it. I just haven't gone through it yet, but trust it will be helpful to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the first thing that you need to do, is hand them to somebody at a minimum of 30 years younger than yourself to figure out... Is the 20s still flashing 12:00?
yahoo.gif
yahoo.gif

Carl

Looking at the online manual, I can only find that you can pair 2 headsets (no mention of 2 mobile phone pairings). Your GPS and radar detector are hard wired in the AUDIO IN and AUX port of the SM10 if I understand correctly. And your cell phone is paired to the SMH20S (before the warranty work)... If you remove the hardwired stuff, can you get the cell to pair to the SMH20S ?

Looking at the online manual, I can only find that you can pair 2 headsets (no mention of 2 mobile phone pairings). Your GPS and radar detector are hard wired in the AUDIO IN and AUX port of the SM10 if I understand correctly. Correct And your cell phone is paired to the SMH20S (before the warranty work)... If you remove the hardwired stuff, can you get the cell to pair to the SMH20S ? The cell pairs to the 20S with no problem. I also tried pairing the 20S and the SM10 with everything else shut off and unhooked with no luck.
I had this system up and working well before my SM10 died.

Matt, I think I tried swapping the phone and the SM10 position but will try that again.

I like this setup when it works because, with the Zumo 550 hard wired to the SM10, I get XM stereo and instant radar alerts.

I would like to pair my Samsung Galaxy S III to the Zumo 550 but there is just to much noise in the phone when I do that.

None of the diagrams show an SM10 in "Second Mobile Phone Pairing" position. All show as "Mobile Phone Pairing"...suggesting that may be the only pairing mode it can do for that particular device. Additionally, the instructions call out the SR10 and GPS as being opitons for second mobile, but are curiously mute on the SM10. It also talks about "HFP" devices...is the SR10 one of those? Or maybe this has to do with that "A2DP" thing.
The SM10 is A2DP only.

The SR10 is HFP only - that is why it works well with the SMH10 - the SMH10 only supports one A2DP profile (which I use with my Galaxy 5) and the HFP always has priority. I am looking at getting an SR10 for V1 and Zumo 660. Right now I have the Zumo on HFP and the phone on A2DP which works well but allows no place to connect the V1.

The Sena SM10 pairs with Sean 20S easily if you "Media selective pairing".

[page 19 #6] Pairing with selective profile: A2DP Stereo or Handsfree

[page 19 #6.1] A2DP Stereo Music Only (Media selective pairing)

Then I pair my phone [which I only use for phone calls] to the 20S.

[page 19 #6.2] HFP for Phone Call Only (phone selective pairing)

Tested it all this weekend.

Zumo 550 directions and XM music through the SM10 to my 20S. Zumo is hard wired to the SM10 so that I get stereo music. 550 blue tooth is only mono.

Radar detector through the SM10 to my 20S even when I'm talking with two other riders. Detector is also hard wired.

Answering phone calls through my 20S. Not sure what sound I get over the 20S when I get a text yet.

Talking to two other riders [20S and SMH10] with no problems.

I'm liking this. Only problem is my handle bar area is starting to look a little crowded.

Dave, did you hard wire the sm10, and does it need to be visible? I got to road test both of our 20s's today. Liking what I've got already. Waiting on the sm10 to arrive.

I would suggest that if the system worked before the warranty work happened, but not after, then start from scratch. Delete all the paring from every device, including your phone. Pair everything as though this is the first time.

Good luck

Brodie

smile.png

Do you mean hard wire for power?

The SM10 will run all day with no problem but you have to charge it every night. If you use it in the stock configuration, you have to have it visible [so you can turn it on and off] and so you can remove it to charge it at night.

I put a usb port on the bike just so could charge my cell phone or 20S or SM10.

I just bought a aftermarket hard wire kit for the SM10 but have not installed it yet.

Do you mean hard wire for power?
The SM10 will run all day with no problem but you have to charge it every night. If you use it in the stock configuration, you have to have it visible [so you can turn it on and off] and so you can remove it to charge it at night.

I put a usb port on the bike just so could charge my cell phone or 20S or SM10.

I just bought a aftermarket hard wire kit for the SM10 but have not installed it yet.
Thats kinda why I asked. I've got an USB charger for phone or whatever in the glovebox, thoughr of putting it there.

Not a bad idea. It is small enough that it would fit.

Mine is located on key side of the brake fluid reservoir. There was a bare spot [yes, I have to much shit stuff on my handle bars] and it was easy to run my wires from the zumo and detector there. Also easy to remove for charging.

I really like the idea of hearing radar over the other riders when on intercom. That alone is probably worth the cost of an upgrade.

On the SMH10, nothing but the phone ringing will interrupt the intercom.