Sena SMH10 and Aria RX-Q

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steel_Gin

Reaction score
Thinking about getting a Sena SMH10 and I have an Aria RX-Q helmet. Wondering if anyone has this setup and if you recommend going with the SMH 10 with the mic wired in or with the universal mic kit? I like the idea of the universal kit to have the mic installed tight to the front of the helmet. But that brings in to play the connection in to the unit possibly being a weak point. Has anyone had any issues with that?

From the reading I have done there is no difference in sound quality between the two mics.

Since I'm using a MultiTech, I went with the boom mic version here from Real Time Industries. For a full face helmet, I would mount a wired permanent mic and forget about it. The units are fairly new, so no issues yet.

Even with the noisy MultiTech, the speaker sound quality is excellent and the mic is crystal clear at speed. You'll be pleased with a Sena!

--G

I have used both setups with my helmets. For a conventional helmet I liked having the mic on a wire and permanently mounted to the helmet. Worked well where your mouth to helmet distance was close. For my modular helmet I use the boom mic with the velcro mounting pad located behind the cheek pad. Makes for a real clean mounting option.

I have an RX-Q and I don't think it has enough room around the ears for the speakers. Or were you going to use earphones? I was thinking of getting a Shoei Qwest just for the extra room around the ears.

I have the Sena SMH10 and Aria RX-Q with the microphone mounted on the chin bar. The distance from the mike to my lips is a little too much and people have problems hearing me. I may space the mike to reduce the distance or install the boom mike since I have the universal kit. I installed the speakers in the cheek pads and they work great.

I have an RX-Q and I don't think it has enough room around the ears for the speakers. Or were you going to use earphones? I was thinking of getting a Shoei Qwest just for the extra room around the ears.
Thanks Fitty. Not not thinking about earphones right now, the ones I'd like to get are a bit pricey. (Maybe next year for those) Going to have to mount the speakers. Spent quite a bit of money on frackles the past couple months and the Sena would/will be my last big purchase this year.

I have the Sena SMH10 and Aria RX-Q with the microphone mounted on the chin bar. The distance from the mike to my lips is a little too much and people have problems hearing me. I may space the mike to reduce the distance or install the boom mike since I have the universal kit. I installed the speakers in the cheek pads and they work great.
Thanks Millsaps2. How did you modify the cheek pads to get that to work? Sounds interesting. I thought the pockets for your ears would be big enough to fit them in. Also I checked the specs on their web site and didn't see how big the speakers are. Can you, or anyone else for that matter, tell me how wide and thick they are? I'd like to make something up to see how well they'll fit before getting it.

I have an Arai Signet Q and installed the SMH10 about a month ago. The speakers fit in the ear pockets good. Use of the included pads sets them far enough out from the pad so that the speakers touch my ears. Without the pads, I still get good and loud enough sound without the speakers touching my ears.

I have the universal kit and use the wired mic mounted on the chinpad of the helmet. It works great. The sound quality from the mic is good enough that if I call someone an the cell phone, they do not know I am using the Sena with my helmet on.

I have an Arai Corsair V and the Sena with boom mike installed. Install was super easy. Pads where the speakers go pop right out and on this helmet are removable and washable so the material used on the padding simply has elastic installed and slips on and off of the padding very easily. I was able to put the speakers almost right against my ears. Microphone on a boom can be a bit troublesome but not so much as to be objectionable. I like it this way so that in cold weather I can move it up higher in the chin bar for when I'm wearing a scarf or something around my neck and up into the helmet. Sound quality both on my cell phone and Ipod touch have been great. Wife calls me sometimes on my way to or from work and can't tell I'm riding.

Sena has a new version of the SMH10 (SMH10R) with a much sleeker design (thinner transmitter profile). Battery goes in/back of helmet which saves the bulkiness of the unit. It's getting very good reviews for sound quality, ease of pairing, distance for intercom.You can pair up to 3 BT devices at once and have up to 4 riders in B/B intercom mode. Street price is ~$160 or $320 for a pair (which if purchased as such comes pre-paired to each other).

m29ZdlSQlqixNCsq4Xrl-Yg.jpg