Sena Users, SMH10 vs the New 3S

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuckeyeFJR

Reaction score
Hi, looking to add a communicator for my wife and I. I do have an iPhone but currently no GPS. I've been looking at the Sena SMH10, but they have a new basic model coming out called the 3S. Any thoughts on how they might compare? The 3S is about $90 each, and looks like it does everything we need.

My only concern is my Bell Vortex is fairly loud, and I'm not sure how a communicator will work while using ear plugs. I might consider noise canceling ear buds in the future, but it's doesn't look like they will work with the 3S.

Thanks!

I was unaware of the new 3S until your post so I just went to the Sena website to check it out. What I noted after looking over the specs:

3S only has a bike to bike range of about 220 yds. compared to the SMH10 range of 960 yds.

3S only has 2 small buttons on the microphone boom to operate the available functions because it has no separate unit. SMH10 has a large round jog button on the side and a smaller phone button on the rear of the unit. I could see operating the 3S with any type of glove being awkward as the boom microphone will be inside the chin bar of any full face or modular type helmet.

3S does not include any charger for the battery. SMH10 includes charger. Not clear on whether the 3S will support charging while in use like the SMH10 does.

My wife and I have used the SMH10 units for almost 2 years now. She rides her own bike. While working part time for a HD dealership, I can no longer tell you how many of the SMH10 units I've sold. In the end, only you know what you need. If she is simply a passenger and you don't do long distances or travel for days the new 3S may meet your need. Ultimately though for me the small buttons located as they are would quickly lead me to a state of frustration.

My 2 cents.

The wife and I use the SMH10s also (they just advised of a new software update to V5.1.1 by the way) and they work great. Plenty loud volume also.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have used the SMH10 for a few years and love them. I recently upgraded to the new 20S model. Very nice! Many improvements. One being that you can connect earbuds w/o buying an extra base. It plugs in and isnt vulnerable to breaking at the earbud plug in connection like the SMH10 is. I have broken 3 of those SMH10 bases using earbuds.

I've been using an iPhone with the SMH10 for a couple years now. Great combo, plenty of volume with ear plugs and works wonderful both rider - pillion and bike to bike comms. In combo with a 20S, we've strung 4 riders together on a couple rides...very entertaining at times! Providing someone cooperates and is the pivot-man, you can spread out for quite a distance.

No feedback on the 3S ^^^^ BChuck put together a nice summary above.

--G

Been very happy with my SMH10s, the charge holds for an all day ride, and can hear just fine with ear plugs in.

As already said by several other people, the SMH10 is great. I see that the MSRP for the 3S is about half of the SMH10, so I can see why it might be interesting, but I'd pay the extra for the SMH10 to get the range and the jog dial and other features. You will not be able to work the controls on the 3S with gloves on.

For me, looking at the bluetooth headset options is a lot like picking out a GPS. There are a lot of choices and widely varying prices, and it is hard to understand why some cost a lot more than others. I have found the the experience of people on this forum has not steered me wrong, though they usually get me to spend more money than I planned to.
unknw.gif

Between my family and buddy we have 10 Sena SMH10s. Been very happy with them as they operate in all kinds of weather, with gloves on and perform just as advertised for distance. Never used anything else, so can't comment. There are some good sale prices on SMH10s given the new 20 model introduction.

To the OP:

If you do not yet have a GPS, your iPhone can serve nicely using the 'WAZE' app.

Since the SMH10 can communicate with the iPhone (including music), you're golden.

If/when you decide to get a GPS, be aware that not every Garmin can communicate with the SMH10.

Enjoy!

Thanks again, ordered the SMH10-11 for our full face helmets. Revzilla was able to price match Amazon.

BuckeyeFJR, you won't regret that decision. As stated above most of the forum regulars are great enablers. We seem to derive great pleasure from spending other people's money!

Got a pair of SMH10R's for the wife and I for Christmas. I like the low profile install. You barely notice it's there.