Seriously Injured fellow FJR'er

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fjroamer

Reaction score
...wasn't able to post this 'till just now.

A serious accident occurred yesterday on our return home fro the Mt. St. Helens gathering. Dan (Scout) Dennis (DABayliner) and myself, met in Black Diamond for bkfst. and rode down as a threesome. I'll cross post this on gen. discussion board to the FJR family at large - "Rider Down, Prayers Requested". We chose to wait until Dennis' wife was notified and granted permission. She said Dennis would do the same for another and would like it. None of us are significant posters but have years of riding experience, on and off road. We rode in a 'civil" manner and kept things reasonable: no peg scraping, no elimination of chicken strips, no hard charging, brake mashing throttle yanking thru the corners....

On our return, we chose to run up to Chinook Pass and take some pictures. Dennis was riding 3rd (last bike) and we were a little ahead of him. Very shortly, Dan noticed Dennis wasn't in his mirrors and we slowed for a brief moment, turned around and couldn't find Dennis. ????? I went to the bottom of climb to see if Dennis had turned around for whatever reason. On a turn around and slow sweep back up through the last 180* l.h. corner, Dan noticed Dennis' bike, barely visible down at the bottom., over the edge. I came back up from below to see Dan waving his arms. It wasn't good!! in a nutshell; bike off over edge (no guard rail), 2 foot sand shoulder. Went airborne 15' +/_ and struck a stout sub alpine fir maybe 8 feet up or so. Bike was at base of tree to one side, Dennis on his back at other side and the bizzarre and disturbing; helmet another 20' beyond, buckle still attached (he was wearing at the time), flip front helmet. What could have ripped, yanked, forced it off his head??? We only knew that he was still alive.

Over an hour later, he was extracted up out of the ravine, and shuttled down to Cayuse Pass where he was helicoptered to Harborview. 24 hours later, he is still not lucid but is alive, breathing and can wiggle toes. Dan would be better qualified to give a med. report as he was able to get into Harborview this afternoon and see the family. Harborview (Seattle) is, by the way, a world reknowned critical care ctr. He can be in no better place!!!!!

Dan and I have replayed this over and over and over and spent time at the site trying to figure things out and give reports to responding NPS Officers. Nobody witnessed it.., nobody, period! No skid marks (ABS model '05) just a slight arcing curve off the edge of roadway. We don't know if some downhill traffic was over the ctr. line or if he was hugging it and veered right, or just a momentary lapse of attn.. We just don't know so please dignify Dennis and his family by not trying to offer your analysis or make unknowing or assumptive comments. One thing we did conclude, the pace was not 'hot shoeing' it.

All prayers, thoughts and expressions of consideration will go to Dennis' wife, kids and extended family and we're hoping Dennis himself will soon be able to chime back in and share with us.

I'm still a bit dazed, upset, concerned and trying to sort things out. This should not have happened!!!

If anything sounds out of line or whatever.., it's still too fresh in my mind. Please understand it as such,

thanks, Fjroamer

Last edited by a moderator:
Get well soon. That helmet thing has my head spinning, "still buckled?" I dont get it...

Prayers and wellwishes for him..

Thanks FJRoamer, the only thing I can add is that Dennis' problem is head trauma. The helmet showed significant damage and as Bob said, it was thrown a considerable distance beyond him during the crash. The good news is we got him to Harborview within about 2 hours of the crash and he's getting the best care possible. On-scene we were fortunate enough to have both a Dr. and a nurse stop and assist throughout the rescue effort. The Park Rangers did a fantastic job managing the scene as well. Now it's just wait and see how he does. Please pray.

Prayers and speedy recovery.

That riding scenarioa sounds very familiar with a rider who posted yesterday; when he was following 'extrememarine', although he managed to utilize his abs for a safe stop.

This is a bizarre one, only the rider will be able to fill the void of unknown happenings. You are right, no speculation needed; but..... Worry not about how it happened and keep thoughts focused on him and his family.

All my best wishes for Dennis, sorry to hear about this unexplained crash, I hope he recovers soon, and thank you for telling us about it.

best wishes for a complete recovery

when is this crashing gonna stop? :blink:

just too many sad stories lately

Alfred

Thanks for the post roamer. Terrible upsetting news to hear w/o much of a reason...The helmet thing is definitely a bit of a head scratcher. Thoughts and prayers sent out to Dennis and his family.

--G

My heart breaks for this rider and family and for you going through the traumic experience of being there.

Daily prayers lifted up for our downed rider brother and another added to the terrible membership of the Serious Crash Club.

At this rate, I'm not sure I'm anxious to get my bike back on the road soon.

Dang,

Mike in Nawlins'

My Prayers for Dennis, Family and friends. PNW riders stick together well and when one is hurt we all feel it. Anything needed just post or call.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't like reading these sorts of posts. I agree with bikesniffer, "when is this crashing going to stop?"

When I read of a crash I always think that maybe today should be my last day on a motorcycle. I've been lucky so far. I'm fairly conservative, and probably ride a lot like Fjroamer described their ride. But sand in the roadway, Bambi, or a myriad of other things can cause a rider to go down.

I'm glad I live in a small town with great, and deserted roads.

My prayers are with him and his family.

so very sorry to hear this...

My thoughts and very best wishes go out to Dennis and his family for a rapid and complete recovery.