Seriously Injured fellow FJR'er

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They brought his helmet to the hospital with him, I saw they had it in his room yesterday. His family was looking closely at it and saw it cracked in a couple of places along with a number of scratches. I hadn't noticed the cracks when at the accident scene on Saturday. His son pointed out the inside padding looked to be damaged as well. I didn't notice the brand...

Shooting the bestest karma available in the universe to Dennis!

Wow!

I am, as many of you, curious to know what happened. Not as morbid curiosity of the second by second events, but to add to the list of things to look out for as a rider. There are a number of things that we can eliminate... alcohol, excess speed, aliens.........

[SIZE=8pt]I'm trying to think what I would do if I came upon some "unforeseen" road hazard. Let me think out loud for a minute.[/SIZE]

An animal of some sort? Unlikely. Animals leave tracks. Bird? Insect? Hmmmmm... something inside helmet? Possible.

A car over the line? Possible. Lots of hotrod rice-burners around here.

Lack of attention? Not likely. I put extra concentration power in the twisties.

Medical condition? Possible. Cold medicine does me in.

I keep coming back to the helmet. Not the coming off part. The "open" part. Note: I have a Nolan 102.

[SIZE=18pt]Get well, Dennis. That IS the most important thing.[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been in your shoes fjroamer. I complety understand what you are going through. Please let me know if I can help in any way.

My thoughts and prayers are with Dennis, his family and friends.

Agreed, too much of this crashing business again....praying for Dennis, family and his friends. Get well my friend. PM. <>< :unsure:

I can assure readers that there was no alcohol involved.. PERIOD!!!

We ate bkfst and lunch together and didn't even think to have a beer. We had eaten, and were properly hydrated an hour or so prior. It was not a 'heavy' lunch and his riding exhibited no fatigue or wandering in his lane, nor speeding up or lagging behind. There was no debris in the corner whatsoever only three oncoming cars and we don't know if they were still in the turn when Dennis was in it.

All the bases were covered at the sight with medical/emergency personel, NFS Rangers, State Patrol. We were able to contact his wife during prep for airlift and secure all medical history and nothing came up that would have been an issue.

Please speculate to yourselves until we have more to share. Then hopefully we can all learn from this extremely unfortunate situation. Dan and I pondered whether to share this or not, knowing we could not give adequate answers and knowing that some will try to sort it out. We have given you all we have and will continue to do so at the discretion of his family. Maybe a discussion on another thread about flip face helmets and accident reports could be benificial to all of our learning but, please, not in this one..., please!

just trying to curb the speculation..., thanks gang

roamer

I am at Harborview at this very moment and am handing keyboard over to Dennis' wife:

Thanks everyone for your kinds words and well wishes. I haven't read all the posts yet but I hope to get on tonight and read everything. Dennis is making small improvements everyday and we know that he will continue to do so. I know he will want to read everything that has been sent when he is able to. He probably won't be ready for visitors until at least next week.

A great group of folks (his family) to be around..., Roamer

Wow, if all he ends up with is a broken wrist, bruises, and a damaged bike, he is one lucky guy. Let's hope that is the case.

Was a towing company able to retrieve the motorcycle?

My thoughts are with Dennis and his family.

Also to his riding buddies Dan and Roamer. You guys will also need a breather in the next day or so. Take care.

Rob

Damn people! Quit with this fallin' off shit!

THoughts and prayers sent to Dennis and his family. Get better buddy

I can assure readers that there was no alcohol involved.. PERIOD!!!
We ate bkfst and lunch together and didn't even think to have a beer. We had eaten, and were properly hydrated an hour or so prior. It was not a 'heavy' lunch and his riding exhibited no fatigue or wandering in his lane, nor speeding up or lagging behind. There was no debris in the corner whatsoever only three oncoming cars and we don't know if they were still in the turn when Dennis was in it.

All the bases were covered at the sight with medical/emergency personel, NFS Rangers, State Patrol. We were able to contact his wife during prep for airlift and secure all medical history and nothing came up that would have been an issue.

Please speculate to yourselves until we have more to share. Then hopefully we can all learn from this extremely unfortunate situation. Dan and I pondered whether to share this or not, knowing we could not give adequate answers and knowing that some will try to sort it out. We have given you all we have and will continue to do so at the discretion of his family. Maybe a discussion on another thread about flip face helmets and accident reports could be benificial to all of our learning but, please, not in this one..., please!

just trying to curb the speculation..., thanks gang

roamer
Don't let the speculation get to you roamer, as some of you know last Wednesday I was a witness and first responder, and there was still speculation. Right now Dennis is what or who is important. Keep the faith and don't worry, it's out nature to speculate. Thanks for keeping us posted!

I have some pics of Dennis snapped earlier in the day to help everyone who is pulling for his rapid recovery. Get well my friend.

Dennis1.jpg

Dennis on the right

Dennis2.jpg

Dennis on the right

Dennis3.jpg

I have a Symax I. It will definitely roll off your head when the chinbar is up.
I've been told it will do it when the chinbar is down also but never experienced it myself. I have used Nolan N102s for a few years now. As to cause of crash, that is all speculation and could have been as little as a small rock on the road, slight gravel, something mechanical on the bike or anything else so just not helpful to speculate even though most of us do that since we all know it could happen to any of us. Main thing is for Dennis to get well.

doctorj

I have a Symax I. It will definitely roll off your head when the chinbar is up.
I've been told it will do it when the chinbar is down also but never experienced it myself. I have used Nolan N102s for a few years now. As to cause of crash, that is all speculation and could have been as little as a small rock on the road, slight gravel, something mechanical on the bike or anything else so just not helpful to speculate even though most of us do that since we all know it could happen to any of us. Main thing is for Dennis to get well.

doctorj
Yep...a fly in your eye, blink at the wrong moment, a sneeze, a gaze off the site line from being distracted by a bird....too many possibilities and variables.

Best advice? Leave it alone until Dennis can analyze it, if and/or when he can. HE was there, we weren't.

Until then, heal, Dennis, heal. :clapping: Get well and re-join the FJR collective. :yahoo: And may peace surround the entire group of family and friends.

Get well Dennis! You are and family are in my prayers.

--Edited--