Shaky Windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumpkin

Reaction score
so when I went to upgrade my windshield I noticed quite a bit of play when the windshield is in the down position. So naturally I took the entire headlight assembly off the bike to see if a screw was loose (turns out my screw is loose). Everything looks as it should but there is definitely some more play on the right side of the windshield mounts and a bit of play overall?

They shake. It's all part of the "live and let die" theory that allow bikes with windshields to ride smoothly. Once there is pressure one way on the shield......the shield moves that way....allowing the bike to continue in it's original direction. When that pressure is gone the windshield moves back to it's "home" position and the bike just keep moving along.

It's not science rocket.

Yup. Same with my Gen1. So, while it was all apart, I decided to tighten it up - couldn't find anything loose or worn.

I hate to say it, but I think Odie may be on (to) something.
smile.png

Al
cold.gif

Mine does the same. Except I'm too busy ridin' to take the time to take it all apart to inspect things. Now I know it's normal.

Gary

darksider #44

My FeeJay does that too, yet I don't pay much attention to it. Reason? I can rest my case, because the windshield has to "wiggle/move" since the front (obviously) gets hit the most from the wind, needs to let go. If the windshield would stay unmovable in place, would/could introduce torsion breaks, because the material would take the load of the wind put against it, which over time will lead to those material weaknesses and subsequent failure.

V

RPK

PS: Might not be the science of rocket, but still laws of physics
tonguesmiley.gif

Now would be a good time to inspect the 'Ground Spiders' in the nose cone area. Remove the covers, pull the spider and check for signs of corrosion/overheating. Spray with ACF50 (or whatever you prefer) reassemble and forget about them.

Hey Donal,

I've got a off topic question. How do you get your fancy renaming of a URL link. The old forum software gave you right at the insert menu the option to give a link a particular name...I don't seem to find that in the new software!

THX a lot

V
RPK

Donal, what's a ground spider? and RedPorscheKilla, you mentioned "url" and "software" which is more complicated than my ability to log on and off the website without me forgetting my password...so I'm not sure I have the answer to your question! lol

Donal, what's a ground spider? and RedPorscheKilla, you mentioned "url" and "software" which is more complicated than my ability to log on and off the website without me forgetting my password...so I'm not sure I have the answer to your question! lol
If you are serious, do a Google search for Ground Spider on the FJR forum. Your '07 should have had the recall done already, but the more information you have on this, the better off you are.

The FJR windshield does move around a good bit more than the electric windshield on the Honda ST or the the BMW RT, but I have never heard of one coming off. Considering that the FJR is faster than either of those bikes, maybe it did need to be more flexible. I also found it a bit unnerving at first.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not Donal, but can provide a "nice" picture of one of the ground spiders you should look for. Check this post:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/124616-weird-electrical-problem/?p=686152

where I posted a picture of my failed spider that resides above the left headlight. There's another one above the right headlight. Even if you already have the recall done, failure of one of these will cause all kinds of wacky electrical indications and loss of headlights.

You'll want to pull the black cap off and then pull out the spider looking shorting plug out. Look for any signs of corrosion or overheating. Clean the electrical connections with contact cleaner and then coat with an appropriate corrosion preventative compound. I use dielectric grease to stop water and crud from attacking the contacts.

Latest posts