Shift code 48 after cruise control install. Now won't go out of neutral.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canadianfjrowner

Reaction score
Just installed my second cruise control on an AE. (Audiovox cc110 vacuum controlled)First time it went perfect. This time after the first test on the centre stand, all was good. Then I put the bike together and wanted to go for a road test. When I hopped on the bike Shift code 48 was present. Cycled the key and after start-up code came back. Now no more code, but I can't shift out of neutral. Just before the Shift code showed up, in first gear, the clutch engaged very rough. Was perfect before the work started.

Help, my friend wants his bike back for the long weekend.

Just installed my second cruise control on an AE. (Audiovox cc110 vacuum controlled)First time it went perfect. This time after the first test on the centre stand, all was good. Then I put the bike together and wanted to go for a road test. When I hopped on the bike Shift code 48 was present. Cycled the key and after start-up code came back. Now no more code, but I can't shift out of neutral. Just before the Shift code showed up, in first gear, the clutch engaged very rough. Was perfect before the work started.
Help, my friend wants his bike back for the long weekend.
SH_ _48 says "Idle speed too high". Suggest throttle is being held open by CC installation. Could occur if idle speed adjusted too high, but I presume thois hasn't been touched.

[edit]

1_sh__48.jpg

[/edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
That is just the problem. My own bike has a higher idle speed by at least 200 rpm without ever having had any problems. On this bike, I backed off the idle a ton and still it won't behave. I'm taking the tank off right now and see if there is anything I missed when I put it back together. ( there is always a chance I was wr__ wr__wro__ok I wasn't right).

Just installed my second cruise control...This time after the first test on the centre stand, all was good...
Well, actually the AVCC should not work on the center stand. The reaction time of the unloaded rear wheel is too fast to respond to the AVCC throttle command which should cause the AVCC to see an error condition and shut off. Dunno if this may be related to the high idle speed. It sure sounds like it is worthwhile to see if the throttle tab always returns all the way to the throttle stop.

Operator error of the wrench. Or should I say fingers. Cyl.#1 injector wasn't fully clipped in. This created a cylinder missfire which of course creates a unstable idle. All being said and done, all good now. On to bike #3 and install a cruise on that. I wish I didn't have any friends!!!LOL.

Looks good though, 3 identical bikes at my shop ready for the long weekend.