Shifting Clunks (1st and 2nd)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I go more brain dead or wear a different pair of boots, my 013 seems to shift with a klunk. Have to remind self to get back in rhythm. Preload and deliberate makes my scooter shift like a dream.

Is it really necessary to "soak" the plates in oil? I know that the originators of the idea thought that this was the ticket, but I've always been under the impression that the real benefit was from cleaning the assembly gook off of them and then dunking them in oil for re-assembly. I mean, how much oil will the friction material actually absorb if left overnight in a tub of oil? It isn't really that porous.

Sure, once you've already got them out there is no harm in soaking them for a while, or overnight, or for a week for that matter, but I really wonder how much that is accomplishing.

Is it really necessary to "soak" the plates in oil? I know that the originators of the idea thought that this was the ticket, but I've always been under the impression that the real benefit was from cleaning the assembly gook off of them and then dunking them in oil for re-assembly. I mean, how much oil will the friction material actually absorb if left overnight in a tub of oil? It isn't really that porous.
Sure, once you've already got them out there is no harm in soaking them for a while, or overnight, or for a week for that matter, but I really wonder how much that is accomplishing.
Can't give you a proper answer.

In my cases ('06 and '10), neither had any significant gook and I didn't clean the metal discs other than a simple wipe with an oily rag.

I soaked my '06 overnight, my '10 for a few hours. Was it necessary to actually "soak" them? I don't know, but I'd heard it was the thing to do, and my reasoning was that it was better to do so than to find out later that they needed a soaking so that I would have to re-do it.

My '06 responded well to the treatment, was still good after 6 months and 4600 miles when I sold it.

My '10 wasn't initially as bad as the '06, but had deteriorated from new. It's still good after a year and a half and some 11000 miles.

My 07 also clunks if I just pull the clutch in and pop it into gear. But it is greatly reduced if I add a step to the process. After pulling the cluch lever in, try giving the engine a quick rev to free the sticky oil bind between the drive and driven clutch plates before popping the bike into gear. Works wonders for me.
yahoo.gif
I'm going to second this experience, as limited as mine is, on my '14. I've dropped it into 1st with the very slightest click after doing things to ensure there is complete clutch disengagement. This might have been just rolling out of the garage in gear with the clutch pulled in. Another occasion after sitting in N all night, and just grabbing the clutch and dropping it in outright produces the kerchunk and a very slight shudder.

My '09 will clunk every time from Neutral to 1st when cold if I don't exercise the clutch 5 - 6 times before shifting into first. I've gotten into the habit of squeezing the clutch lever several times anytime I restart the bike when it has been sitting for 30 minutes or so. Most of the time it will go into first with no sound at all when I do that.

+1 on the clutch bleed. Made a big improvement to my 06 12K miles. I also pump the clutch lever a few time when engaging 1st gear when cold.
Fullchat, "pump the clutch lever a few times" on an '06AE? We don't have a clutch lever. How does that work? Just curious. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I always thought that this was just "one of those things" that all FJRs have. All the ones that I had ever ridden or ridden with would "ker-chunk" when shifting into gear from neutral. I've always attributed it to a relatively free wheeling driven side of the clutch / transmission and a touch of clutch drag.

Here's the crazy thing... my new 2014 doesn't do it. At least not to the extent that most of the others do. I'm not sure what they changed internally, but I can start the bike up cold in neutral, then just pull in the clutch and shift int first with very little if any gnashing of gear dogs. No throttle blipping or clutch hand exercises required.

Wonder if that is true of any others who have upgraded to a 3rd gen. Have you noticed a decrease in the kerchunkink-ing?

Last Tuesday nite I rode a guys Harley as we switched bikes for a short 10mi jaunt.... Holy, gear shifting was like someone striking a hammer to a railroad. I wasn't comfortable w it at all, and later I asked him if it was common? He said that he never thought that it wasn't!?

Bammm

^^^^^^^ Yeah, a buddy has been trying to get me on a Harley for 3 years, so I've been to 2 'demo days' at the local dealer. On some of those bikes, clunking into first will give you whiplash.

Looking forward to comparing that with FredW's description of smooth shifting.

Ya, about that Harley ---

This is Pillion's sister with her driver Bobbie. The gear is correct for the Road Machine. They were a tour guide for us to Alice's Restaurant, Big Basin, Golden Gate Bridge to Bodega Bay.

IMG_0183b_zps9505be99.jpg

Following the Harley --> potato potato Potato POTATO BAM potato potato Potato POTATO BAM as he shifted through the gears.

IMG_0191a_zpsb8dd1601.jpg

IMG_0443b_zps60224cd6.jpg

My ride shifted gears into first snick and upshifted through the gears snick, snick, snick

IMG_0185b_zps5b5fb411.jpg

I barely feel the shifting to any gear on my '14A. When stationary, shifting to 1st was almost imperceptible. Shifting to other gears while moving was the smoothest comparing to all other bikes I own, and I don't have HD.

Ya, about that Harley ---
Following the Harley --> potato potato Potato POTATO BAM potato potato Potato POTATO BAM as he shifted through the gears.
This was 'THE BEST' text to definition that I could of ever thought up! ...maybe add another "M" on the ending like "BAMM!" ...But Purfect Perfect!

I likey
smile.png

And Alan, that '12 model you were driving was known as a clunker of sorts. BMW has since changed out the gear box (cartridge). Had too many complaints. The late '13s and up now have the new smoother gear box cartridge & part#.

I too noticed when new my 14ES seemed to shift from N into first gear with very little lash. Now with 9000 miles on bike it's about as big a clunk as my prior 07. I'll try the throttle blip and see if that helps. I generally down shift into first prior to coming to a stop. This avoids the clunk problem and is a safety matter. Another way to avoid the clunk is to start up the bike and let it warm up. Shut down the bike, pop into first gear and start it in gear. That damn clunk may not damage the trans but it is very annoying!! I choose to avoid it when possible.

Oil bath clutches generally drag a little. Every bike I have owned will make anything from a click to a strong clunk when shifting straight from neutral to first. My 2000 Triumph clutch plates would stick so bad overnight that I had to pulse the starter in gear with the brake on to pop it loose or else have a big lurching bang when I put it in first. My Ducati (wet clutch) will clunk pretty good but responds well to the clutch pump, my '12 FJR is the same.

So, I always thought that this was just "one of those things" that all FJRs have. All the ones that I had ever ridden or ridden with would "ker-chunk" when shifting into gear from neutral. I've always attributed it to a relatively free wheeling driven side of the clutch / transmission and a touch of clutch drag.
Here's the crazy thing... my new 2014 doesn't do it. At least not to the extent that most of the others do. I'm not sure what they changed internally, but I can start the bike up cold in neutral, then just pull in the clutch and shift int first with very little if any gnashing of gear dogs. No throttle blipping or clutch hand exercises required.

Wonder if that is true of any others who have upgraded to a 3rd gen. Have you noticed a decrease in the kerchunkink-ing?
Nope, not a Gen III thing. My '07 only does the "kerchunch" about 25% of the time, and I've not figured out what causes it.

Only the "drop in" 1st gear clunk on my FJR. The rest incl 2nd were just little ticks/clicks.

There is a slight remedy for the noise, I experimented w 10-50 oil on a change and I did hear the (smoother) difference. Def a bit quieter, I know this (re)opens up the oil and NEPRT stuff, but I had to say it cuz during my FJR dabblings, this procedure held some truth. 'NS, and I'm not say'n to go and do this ...my disclaimer ;)