Shifting differences between '07 and '08 A's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SR-71

Reaction score
I heard that Yam made a change to the '08A to make it shift smoother (and/or quieter). Can anyone confirm this? Is the shift "clunk" really gone on the '08A's? And if this is true, does anyone know what Yam did? Finally, does anyone know whether the change be retrofitted to an '07A?

SR-71

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard that Yam made a change to the '08A to make it shift smoother (and/or quieter). Can anyone confirm this? Is the shift "clunk" really gone on the '08A's? And if this is true, does anyone know what Yam did? Finally, does anyone know whether the change be retrofitted to an '07A?
SR-71
If the clunk is gone...how did you hear it? ;)

I thought this sound was related to the type of clutch Yamaha was using...if so - then I wouldn't have thought that characteristic would leave unless a different clutch type was used...which is unlikely I think.

I had an 06. I now have a 08. I still get a “clunk” when shifting into first from neutral when the engine is cold. Haven’t made a mental note to pay any attention to whether or not I hear it when the engine is warm. IMO, I believe my 08 shifts’ a little smoother into second thru fifth than my 06 did. Sorry, no experience on or knowledge of the 07.

My '07 clunks going into 1st from neutral unless I pull in the clutch and wait about 5 seconds. If I remember to do that, it engages without any clunk or grinding.

My '07 clunks going into 1st from neutral unless I pull in the clutch and wait about 5 seconds. If I remember to do that, it engages without any clunk or grinding.
I have an 07 and have noticed the clunk as well, It was more noticable first 500 miles (and when cold). It has improved some. I was wondering if any of the sys. oils help???? Or does anyone see this as a long term problem???

I have an 07 and have noticed the clunk as well, It was more noticable first 500 miles (and when cold). It has improved some. I was wondering if any of the sys. oils help???? Or does anyone see this as a long term problem???
Golden Spectro Synthetic Blend 20W helped just slightly on an '04. Mileage may be more of a factor.

I have an '07 that is really starting to piss me off. In the morning and when leaving work (even after letting it warm up for 5 - 10 minutes and pumping the clutch lever) it lurches and quits when I put it into first. It seems to be OK after I re-start it while in gear but when I slow to a stop in traffic, the clutch does not dis-engage all the time and the bike lurches to a stop. This is a bit un-nerving as the bike wants to continue to move forward and I have to REALLY apply the brakes with the clutch pulled all the way to the grip sometimes killing the bike. This has caused the bike to stall and today, I rearended a car at a stop sign. It didn't cause any damage to the car or bike but I was looking pretty stupid...

I have had it into the dealer three times and the only thing they have changed was the oil... said my Amsoil was f**king up the bike. Well... that wasn't it...

I have 4800 miles on it and I'm getting worried about riding it.

IDEAS???

I have an '07 that is really starting to piss me off. In the morning and when leaving work (even after letting it warm up for 5 - 10 minutes and pumping the clutch lever) it lurches and quits when I put it into first. It seems to be OK after I re-start it while in gear but when I slow to a stop in traffic, the clutch does not dis-engage all the time and the bike lurches to a stop. This is a bit un-nerving as the bike wants to continue to move forward and I have to REALLY apply the brakes with the clutch pulled all the way to the grip sometimes killing the bike. This has caused the bike to stall and today, I rearended a car at a stop sign. It didn't cause any damage to the car or bike but I was looking pretty stupid...
I have had it into the dealer three times and the only thing they have changed was the oil... said my Amsoil was f**king up the bike. Well... that wasn't it...

I have 4800 miles on it and I'm getting worried about riding it.

IDEAS???
From what you describe it sounds like your clutch isn't disengaging all the way. This is the first hydraulic clutch bike I have had but it seems like bleeding the clutch's hydraulic system or checking out the clutch slave cylinder (depending on how the problem first manifested itself) would be a good place to start.

BUT, in 06 FZ6 I owned I stopped using synthetic in it after about 10k miles due to what I considered hard shifting. I thought shifting was better on dino, but then I thought synth was better when I first changed to it, but then... See man, I can have a dino vs synth war all by myself. Unless something changes my mind though, I'm sticking to the dino in this bike.

WTF were we supposed to be talkng about, sorry...

typ0 :drinks:

I have an 06, but recently rebuilt the tranny and now have 08 tranny parts (yes, there is a slight difference to some of the gears). I don't know if my 06 tranny was improperly installed, or something else was wrong to make it die a quick death, but my bike shifts better now than it ever did before. It is very smooth throughout.

Mine "clunks" or grinds about 75% of the time - doesn't really matter what gear (up or down) or if the bike is hot or cold. Brought it the dealer's attention at the 600 mile service and after they test drove it, they said it was "normal".

I say bull$@@t. We shouldn't have to pay for a "clunking" or "grinding" clutch system, and we definitely shouldn't have to remove the clutch plates and soak them to fix a manufacturing flaw. (On a side note, I'm still not sure why its neccessary to soak a clutch plate that is part of a wet clutch system? :blink: )

I've logged over 6K on the bike since buying it in January and the problem has not changed. Hopefully, I can take it back to the dealer sometime soon and have them go over it again - I've read on an earlier post about mentioning the safety issue and see what happens - but, I just can't seem to pull my butt off the bike long enough and leave it at the shop!

I have an '07 that is really starting to piss me off...it lurches and quits when I put it into first....when I slow to a stop in traffic, the clutch does not dis-engage all the time and the bike lurches to a stop...the bike wants to continue to move forward and I have to REALLY apply the brakes with the clutch pulled all the way to the grip sometimes killing the bike. This has caused the bike to stall...today, I rearended a car at a stop...I have had it into the dealer three times and the only thing they have changed was the oil... said [oil] f**king up the bike...I have 4800 miles on it and I'm getting worried about riding it.
All your symptoms are in line with what seems to be an issue with a number of Gen II bikes, which is sticking clutch plates. As you have discovered it is a safety issue (glad you and your bike are ok!). You need to have your dealer contact Yamaha and discuss sticking clutch plates. This is a known issue, a knowledgeable dealer will disassemble the clutch, clean the plates and soak them in oil to cure the problem, and do it under warranty. You may need to find another dealer; you may need to call Yamaha yourself. Search this forum using +sticking +clutch as your search terms and you should get several pages of similar clutch stories, but more importantly, what the owners did and how they resolved their issue.

Get it fixed real soon, we don't want to read another crash story. :(

I have an '07 that is really starting to piss me off...it lurches and quits when I put it into first....when I slow to a stop in traffic, the clutch does not dis-engage all the time and the bike lurches to a stop...the bike wants to continue to move forward and I have to REALLY apply the brakes with the clutch pulled all the way to the grip sometimes killing the bike. This has caused the bike to stall...today, I rearended a car at a stop...I have had it into the dealer three times and the only thing they have changed was the oil... said [oil] f**king up the bike...I have 4800 miles on it and I'm getting worried about riding it.
All your symptoms are in line with what seems to be an issue with a number of Gen II bikes, which is sticking clutch plates. As you have discovered it is a safety issue (glad you and your bike are ok!). You need to have your dealer contact Yamaha and discuss sticking clutch plates. This is a known issue, a knowledgeable dealer will disassemble the clutch, clean the plates and soak them in oil to cure the problem, and do it under warranty. You may need to find another dealer; you may need to call Yamaha yourself. Search this forum using +sticking +clutch as your search terms and you should get several pages of similar clutch stories, but more importantly, what the owners did and how they resolved their issue.

Get it fixed real soon, we don't want to read another crash story. :(

+1! I'd try bleeding the slave cylinder and while your there, change your clutch fluid because it's so easy to do. If that doesn't resolve the problem, then it may well be sticking plates.

Do you "break the plates loose" before starting the bike? This is simply accomplished by holding in the clutch lever, engine off, in gear and pushing or pulling the bike. Little effort should be required to free up the normal "sticktion" in the clutch plates. If you bleed and change fluid in the master cylinder, but the clutch won't "break loose" relatively easily, then the clean and soak may cure the problem. If no success there, see the stealer.

Hope this helps...

JC