shifting the AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRMarine

Reaction score
Just got my 07 AE. Do you hav to roll off the throttle when upshifting? I have tried both ways and shifting under throttle is way smooth. I don't want to fry the clutcth etc. Advice for a noobie is much appreciated.

Since you're a n00b, I won't beat you up about the "search" function. But a good place to start is Here

Don't worry about the clutch, it's almost indestructable. A "slight" back off during full throttle upshifts will help a lot

Thanks for not taking it easy on the new guy

Since you're a n00b, I won't beat you up about the "search" function. But a good place to start is Here
Don't worry about the clutch, it's almost indestructable. A "slight" back off during full throttle upshifts will help a lot

Seems on mine that a slight roll off, more of a twitch really, works at low accelration. While at full accelration just letting the computer do it works best.

Seems on mine that a slight roll off, more of a twitch really, works at low accelration. While at full accelration just letting the computer do it works best.
Same here, except the exact opposite:

At very light acceleration, I don't do anything with the throttle.

At medium acceleration, I twitch the throttle.

At heavy acceleration, I do a slightly more deliberate twitch.

In each of those scenarios, shifting is so smooth the only way you can tell I shifted is because the RPM drops. The few times I tried shifting under heavy acceleration without twitching the throttle the clutch slipped way more than I liked, so I don't do that anymore.

For around town and relaxed riding I commonly shift at 2,500 -- 2,800 with no rollback, even at stronger throttle settings. Using 3,100 - 3,400 gets me out in front of even aggressive drivers and still requires no rollback.

well... first it's an AE.... nuff said.... :p

Loser.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here, except the exact opposite:

At very light acceleration, I don't do anything with the throttle.

At medium acceleration, I twitch the throttle.

At heavy acceleration, I do a slightly more deliberate twitch.

In each of those scenarios, shifting is so smooth the only way you can tell I shifted is because the RPM drops. The few times I tried shifting under heavy acceleration without twitching the throttle the clutch slipped way more than I liked, so I don't do that anymore.

as dbx said, it's simply nothing more than a twitch