Shoei QWEST

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norcal1

Reaction score
It's time for me to get a new helmet. I've always liked Shoei and want to stick with them.

I'm considering a QWEST. Anyone have one? What do you like/dislike about it?

I've had a Shoei modular for several years now and I like it except it's really noisy.

:)

+1 to this request. My Fulmer Modular is very noisy and I'm shopping the Quest as a possible replacment. I wear glasses, so the modular is convenient. But I'm tired of this wind noise. The kid at Cycle Gear gave me a pretty believable sales pitch about the Quest, stating that the shape of this helmet is more conducive to Sport Touring riders, offering the best visibility. Also, he stated that the ventilation on the quest is very good.

I tried it on, and it fit well, but the only colors they have in my size are the one with the graphics. I want Hi-vis yellow or white.

I just bought a Shoei Neotec. From what I've read, Shoei spent a lot of time and money to make it quieter than the Mulittec. Seems pretty quiet to me. Maybe you can have your cake and eat it too?/

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about this aspect of the Quest, but I forgot to mention that the Neotec also has great ventilation. Amazing helmet.

Not sure about this aspect of the Quest, but I forgot to mention that the Neotec also has great ventilation. Amazing helmet.
+10 on the Neotech! I've had two Multitechs and loved them a lot. Just got the Neotech and its almost silent compared to the Multitec. The ventilation will blow you away in comparison. Worth every penny. Just me $.02. :)

+1 to this request. My Fulmer Modular is very noisy and I'm shopping the Quest as a possible replacment. I wear glasses, so the modular is convenient. But I'm tired of this wind noise. The kid at Cycle Gear gave me a pretty believable sales pitch about the Quest, stating that the shape of this helmet is more conducive to Sport Touring riders, offering the best visibility. Also, he stated that the ventilation on the quest is very good.

I tried it on, and it fit well, but the only colors they have in my size are the one with the graphics. I want Hi-vis yellow or white.
I too want the yellow. I figure that if they don't have it in stock they can order it for me.

I replaced an RF800 with the Quest a couple of summers ago. It's no panacea; don't expect it to solve the noise from buffeting on the FJR but for running in clean air on a pure sports bike, yes, it is quieter.

Arrr, the search for the elusive effective windscreen, smaller than a sheet of plywood, continues :unsure:

I bought the Shoei Neotec in silver for 571.69 online. Not sure if the discount will be available forever, and not sure if I'm allowed to tell you where and how... email me if interested in further details.

Gary

darksider #44

[email protected]

Here's a good place to get one. The solid yellow is actually more expensive than the original graphics right now... amazing really.

270 something for the graphics and 349 for the yellow.

I have one and really like it... it's all about the fit, and it fits my head shape perfectly.

by the way... it's qWest... not qUest... that really doesn't matter I guess... but hell...

I have the QWEST, it is a quiet helmet coming from a Scorpion EXO-900. Love the Shoei shield system, replacement/smoke shields, etc are available cheap.. I have a pinlock visor for cold so it doesn't fog up when riding in the cold.

Biggest complaints are, not enough venting, the liner is not removable, so you're stuck with it being dirty. I live in South Alabama, it is hot and humid most of the year, so sweating is just a fact of life, the non-removable liner sucks eggs. The shield doesn't have a tab on the right to raise it.

My next helmet will probably be the RF-1100.

I have the QWEST, it is a quiet helmet coming from a Scorpion EXO-900. Love the Shoei shield system, replacement/smoke shields, etc are available cheap.. I have a pinlock visor for cold so it doesn't fog up when riding in the cold.

Biggest complaints are, not enough venting, the liner is not removable, so you're stuck with it being dirty. I live in South Alabama, it is hot and humid most of the year, so sweating is just a fact of life, the non-removable liner sucks eggs. The shield doesn't have a tab on the right to raise it.

My next helmet will probably be the RF-1100.
Something I've used for a long time now, avoid the sweaty helmet thing, is a schampa stretch skull cap. You can also wash the inside of a helmet without removing the liners. I've heard of some that just take a garden hose and some dish soap... rinse well, let it dry.

I'm in Arizona, and with the Schampa things... no sweaty (and smelly) helmet.

I just bought a Shoei Neotec. From what I've read, Shoei spent a lot of time and money to make it quieter than the Mulittec. Seems pretty quiet to me. Maybe you can have your cake and eat it too?/

Gary

darksider #44
I bought the Neotec when it first became available.

It is the best helmet investment I have ever made.

It's quiet, it has outstanding ventilation,the drop down sun shade works flawless and it is a very well balanced helmet.

It is the most comfortable helmet I have ever owned. I can ride all day and do not experience any sore neck or sore traps.

It's not cheap but it's worth the price.

I have the Shoei RF-1100 and love it. The wife has a Shoei Qwest and is very satisfied with it. The one thing I have found is that folks tend to get the wrong size helmet. People go with too big a fit. I have made this mistake in the past and when I went to get the RF-1100, the employee at the store was very knowledgeable and what a difference it made. I always went with a large when in fact I needed a medium (it felt too snug at first but once broken-in, so much better to wear at highway speeds).

As for the Qwest, the significant other says it is light, fairly quiet and very comfortable.

I did wear an Arai (a loner from a buddy) for a ride once and I have to say if money isn't an issue, have a look and feel. They are very light and very comfortable.

I have a Quest large. Very quiet [along with a Momaha touring screen]..Pinlock shield allows the shield to stay closed even when stopped. Bummer that it barely fits in a bag if you fiddlephart around with it. Also very warm-a plus in these parts..

Here is my review of the Qwest (published in RoadBike last year--can't remember what month?)

Shoei Qwest Helmet

RoadBike Magazine

by: Tracy Martin

[bODY TEXT]

The Qwest by Shoei is a new helmet (replacing the TZ-R series) that has a lot to offer for a mid-priced model. I’ve owned most of the Shoei helmets made for the last 10 years, and other brands, and the Qwest is one of the best I have ever ridden with. The old adage that “You get what you pay for.” generally holds true—especially when it comes to motorcycle helmets, but in the case of the Qwest it can be said that “You get more than you pay for.” Well designed, extremely comfortable and with lots of features, the Qwest is as good, or better than higher-priced models

The outer shell uses Shoei’s AIM+ fiberglass composite and five shell sizes cover the helmet size range from XXS to XXL making the fit more tailored to different head sizes. The general overall shape spans neutral to slightly round head shapes which will fit the majority of riders. The EPS liner features a dual layer design that places more protection where needed and internal air channels provide efficient cooling. In addition, the EPS liner extends throughout the chin bar. The helmet liner is soft, and plush making the Qwest feel like a helmet that costs twice as much. Cheek pads are removable and are available in 6 sizes for a custom fit. Dual-layer, 3D (3-dimensional) shapes make up the liner and it conforms comfortably to one’s head. Open ear pockets allow the installation of helmet speakers without cutting foam from the liner. Shoei even thought to design a recesses in the liner, accommodating the wearing of eye glasses—no more sore ears when riding with glasses for an extended time.

The view port is wider and taller than most helmets and offers really great peripheral vision when riding in traffic while making head-checks less stressful on ones neck. The Qwest uses Shoei’s new CW-1 shield that blocks 99% of UVA light. The latching mechanism is Shoei’s Q.R.S.A (Quick Release Self-Adjusting) base plate that is unique in that it uses 4 springs (two per side) to seal the shield against the view port gasket. A three-position lever has lock, defog and normal positions. Venting includes top, chin and two rear exhaust vents. The Qwest is Snell M2010 approved, comes with a removable chin curtain, breath guard, and has a five year warranty. This is a lot of helmet for the money and one of the best I’ve ever owned.

[END BODY TEXT]

Info:

Shoei Helmets

$366.99 solid colors, $492.99 graphics

714-730-0941

www.shoei-helmets.com

I've been shopping around for a helmet to replace the ist generation Bell Revolver I have currently. Build quality and poor view of the instruments while riding are my main complaints with the Bell. I have to tip my head forward to see the instruments. Does the Qwest have a good view of the instruments without tipping your head down and taking your eyes off the road? The Nolan N-104 and N-90 provide a really clear view of the instruments but I like the fit of the Shoei a little more. I was driving my car yesterday when I stopped by the local HD shop to see what helmets they had available so couldn't sit on the FJR to check.