Short inseam concerns

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indeed, and it's a matter of identifying whether your need for a shorter bike is actually physical or mental. Lots of times it's mental, but there are those who meet the physical brick wall and need to do something. That's been one of the good things I've seen about the AE model. It's kept folks riding who have physical problems that won't let them ride a normal clutch bike. It's good that there's alternatives out there.
biggrin.png

Why does everyone want to be "flat footed?" What's the magic with that. Every bike I've ever ridden, except cruisers puts me on the balls of my feet; IF I have to put both feet down. Don't most of you hold the bike up with one leg at a time most of the time?? The bike's not that tall. It just takes some getting used to.
I'm with HRZ. any bike larger than a 125 or maybe 250 is about finesse anyway. when you get into the 600# or heavier bikes, you can't brute force any more. But, if you insist, then perhaps it's time to adapt to the world (1 time) instead of adapting the world to you (for every new purchase)...

https://shortsupport.org/

(for you old timers... you knew it had to show up in the thread eventually. right?)

5'4" and 29" here too.I have the Soupy's links for the rear and Highly recommend them! Much better since they are infinitely adjustable and can be used to raise or lower the rear.

They are turnbuckle style and you can adjust them with a 3/4 wrench with the bike on the center stand.
I too recently installed the Soupy's links and lowered the rear 20mm with them and lowered the front by 10mm via sliding the forks up the tree. The overall effect at the seat is perhaps 22mm. I cut this amount off the side stand at the foot side. I made a fixture and mounted the cut side stand and foot and took it to a local welding shop where they MIG welded it. Without making a fixture, it's next to impossible to get the foot alignment correct.

For those in suburban Chicago, Bear Metal Welding & Fabrication in Lombard does a great job at a reasonable price.

I now have the same lean angle as before the lowering.

Why does everyone want to be "flat footed?" What's the magic with that. Every bike I've ever ridden, except cruisers puts me on the balls of my feet; IF I have to put both feet down. Don't most of you hold the bike up with one leg at a time most of the time?? The bike's not that tall. It just takes some getting used to.
I'm with HRZ. any bike larger than a 125 or maybe 250 is about finesse anyway. when you get into the 600# or heavier bikes, you can't brute force any more. But, if you insist, then perhaps it's time to adapt to the world (1 time) instead of adapting the world to you (for every new purchase)...

https://shortsupport.org/

(for you old timers... you knew it had to show up in the thread eventually. right?)
Not sure why some folks don't understand the short inseam issue and the quest to mitigate it. Many of us have no problems on normal trips, stops, parking etc. But the short inseam comes into play when camping (top heavy), traveling on marginal/dirt roads, turn arounds on narrow gravel roads, parking on slopes in the mountains etc. I frequently travel alone when camping and I have to be super careful to not drop the FJR in these demanding situations. I love the bike and will keep it. But why not explore options to make it a better fit for the owner and more manageable in difficult situtions.? Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
5'9" is NOT short, unless you have the upper torso of Shaq. I am 5'8 1/2" (although I used-to-was 5'10") and have no problems and can flatfoot my 03.

I'd better be quiet..... I lowered the rear of my Super Tenere TWO inches (and 1/2" in the front). Then I got out the hacksaw and sawed off the side stand and welded the foot back on....

It's weird how this mod makes it more stable at interstate speeds.

whistling.gif

Now, where was I?

Oh yeah. FJR stuff.

The FJR got a Soupy's adjustable side stand.

OK, so, about 2,000 miles with 1" lowered, front -n- rear and some extra suspension dialed in and I believe I'll keep it this way.

We end up in some weird places and gravel, etc - and this did make a difference for the bettter.

It's weird how this mod makes it more stable at interstate speeds.
not really. by lowering the back more than the front, you've changed the rake. like extended forks on a chopper, it becomes more stable in a straight line while trading off quicker transitions.

I've yet to see a modern bike that is not "stable at highway speeds." Some people should ride Harleys and call it a day.

Took the FJR 2013 for a test ride last week. I was quite nervous of dropping the bike as it had no fairing protection. Anyway all went well. I put left foot down and right foot on the brake. I felt very comfortable on the bike and was quite happy not being able to flat foot both feet.

I have now ordered a new bike from the dealer and organised to have the seat lowered 25 ml (1 inch). I think I can manage without the seat lowering but the upholsterer assures me at my weight (65 kg) it will not reduce the comfort level at all. However, if I was in the order of 100 kg then he would not recommend taking out so much foam.

So, the dealer has the bike in the shop and I am now waiting for the Canyon Cages to come from the US. They are out of stock until mid December.

I have been without a bike now for about a month (since I sold my Goldwing), so I am looking forward to getting back on the new bike.

Congrats on your purchase!

I am 5'9" with an inseam a little on the shy side of 30. With the Spencer Mod I am still on the short side, really don't have any issues. After a month of riding, I was perfectly comfortable with just putting the left foot down.

Or just heat up the sidestand to a nice orange color with a MAPP gas torch, bend the sidestand, heat the heel of the sidestand and bend so the foot stays parallel to the ground on lean. Let cool, paint with black paint. And done. About 30 minutes total and you don't even have to take the sidestand off the bike. Just be careful aiming the torch.

Being lazy and cheap, I took this route.

Huh. I never thought about heating and bending the FJR side stand. The Tenere sidestand is just tubular steel with a flat welded in the bottom, so it was easy to cut -n- weld.

Got a photo ?

Thanks.

My inseam is right at 30 inches, so I cannot put both feet flat.

When the bike is moving (even a paltry 5mph), I can handle the bike well. I do not have an issue getting my left foot flat at stops.

However, since the FJR is by far the heaviest bike I have owned, I am struggling at 0 mph. Embarrassingly, I have laid the bike down twice (once on each side). In each case it was due to a non-level parking situation. In both cases the spots were not steeply angled, but just oddly angled which took me off guard.

I am learning from my mistakes, but the process is painfull. I hate seeing the scratches on my new baby. I will probably wait a month or two to make sure I am past these teething issues before buying touch up paint.

32inch inseam and whatever else makes for comfortable ground clearance on my '13. Saved a SAD the other day in a driveway/traffic conflict.

My inseam is right at 30 inches, so I cannot put both feet flat. When the bike is moving (even a paltry 5mph), I can handle the bike well. I do not have an issue getting my left foot flat at stops. However, since the FJR is by far the heaviest bike I have owned, I am struggling at 0 mph. Embarrassingly, I have laid the bike down twice (once on each side). In each case it was due to a non-level parking situation. In both cases the spots were not steeply angled, but just oddly angled which took me off guard. I am learning from my mistakes, but the process is painfull. I hate seeing the scratches on my new baby. I will probably wait a month or two to make sure I am past these teething issues before buying touch up paint.
That sucks. I have had a couple close calls with uneven pavement and gravel. I have been lucky enough where I have caught myself and have muscled the bike up right.

Well, when I first got mine (my second one)..... It was 30 degrees outside at 4:30 in the morning and I was bundled up like the Michelin Man.

Threw a leg over and didn't get quite high enough.....

Now, I normally hold the front brake lever when doing this. Ugh. Not this time. My leg got caught and it shoved the bike ever so slightly forward and then the side stand folded.

It's dark. It's cold. It's 4:30 in the morning, and I'm laying there, on the ground, with a bike on top of me.

The Wife walks out and says "how's it going" ?

Ohhhh, not bad, I says.

I picked the bike up and rode it to work.

Amazingly, the rest of that Monday went very well. Very minor scratch to the lower case and nothing on the plastics. That's it.

Oh, and one broken ego.

I got home that evening, and commenced to lower the bike.