Should I stay or should I go?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well its been 6 years with my 06 FJR, O the times we've had. But I have to decide should I keep her or trade her in for a new Victory? I'm getting older and the FJR just isn't as comfortable as I would like. I know I would be stepping down in technology but gaining more comfort in the ride. I have added as much farkle as I could to the FJR, but she just does not have the comfort of a recliner on wheels.

What do you guys think?

To head you off at the pass, Wife says NO to 2 bikes in the garage.
I too, thought it a good idea to look at cruisers this spring. For me, I thought, at 51yrs old, a cruiser may be a good choice for no other reason than to be forced to slow down. So during that momentary episode of psychosis & unable to resist, there she was waiting for a test ride on a beautiful sunny day: A 2012 Harley Street Glide looking 'pretty' in Vivid Black. I sat on the bike. Hmm, not too bad. Well balanced, easy to flat foot, guages right out in front. Then it happened: With the obligatory er-er-cough-crackle-backfire, I started the twin thumper rattle trap. It vibrated so much my vision blurred. Against my better judgement, I decided to continue the test ride. The 1st 1/4 mile was spent awkwardly putting my legs out front which was against all my instincts. Hanging from, not easily resting on the handlebars was equally awkward. I somehow managed to keep this way back machine upright & moving forward. Every inch of that test ride was tortuous. Frost heaves & bumps you don't even feel on an FJR shot jolts up my spine. Despite the write-ups, the 2 1/2" suspension travel aint enough! I soiled my boxers on the 1st sweeper. 'How can anyone keep these things on the road?' I asked as I continued this self inflicted torture. Then it happened: I had to finally stop the agony. Grabbing, grabbing & grabbing even more spongy front brake lever & stomping my foot on the rear, the chromed hulk of uncomfortable, rattling century old technology surprisingly came to a stop, & with only minimal amount of squeal. A cruiser is not more comfy than an FJR. This rant is a long way of saying you'll probably be very disappointed in a technology, comfort, ergo step backwards. Ride before you buy. You'll appreciate your FJR that much more.

I've been the cruiser route. The only time it was more comfortable for me than the FJR (or a Wing, or a...) was at sub 60 mph and local trips. I don't ride like that any more, so a cruiser would drive me nuts. @57 and 2 months from retirement I can't imagine ever wanting one again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do like the look and sound of the big V-twins, (not those with straight pipes, tho' :blink: )

However, the only cruiser I owned for a while was a HD Road King. Once i got used to the footboards, if felt reasonably comfortable, around town and on short blasts on the highway, but it handled like a zombie pig on the twisties, and the one time I tried riding on a dirt road I very nearly had a laundry crisis :dribble:

Even my '78 XS11 handled way better than the HD, and had gobs more torque and top end.

I bought my feej after seeing a photo of one, and I never bothered with a road test. When I collected it from the dealership last spring, I just got on and rode it. The bike simply fit me, and suits my style far more than a cruiser ever could.

Admittedly, the stock seat becomes uncomfortable after 4 - 5 hours, but I'm awaiting delivery of an after market seat, which I believe will alleviate the discomfort.

But, as we all know: Different strokes...

Wow man, you're talking about two completely different styles of riding here. Have you ridden a cruiser before? Are you a "spirited" rider or do you prefer staying closer to the speed limit and meander through the turns? It's hard for us to give much of an opinion without knowing your experience and riding preferences.

I used to ride cruisers and managed to make my last one the most comfortable bike that I can imagine riding, ever. That said, I can't imagine going back to that style of riding any time soon. That style of riding didn't speak to me. It wasn't exciting and I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I do riding the FJR. No, the FJR isn't nearly as comfortable (and I've done tons of farkling), but it is much more enjoyable. That's me.

The question is, what style speaks to you? If you don't have much experience with that sort of riding, you should definitely go for a nice long test ride on the bike first. I'm not going to try to talk you into keeping your FJR because frankly, it isn't right for everyone. If you prefer slow, relaxed, ultra-comfortable riding, then a cruiser is probably what you should have.

Boy, there sure a lot of different perspectives on this forum - guess that's what makes life interesting. Some of you guys in your 40s & 50s talk like you're getting old. I'm 68 and feel like I'm just hitting my stride. Bought my Feej new in May 2011, after trying lots of similar bikes from the major brands. I initally started riding in the early 60s, but gave it up in the mid 80s due to kids & career.I'd never considered Harleys, having been on Japanese & British bikes exclusively. Last month an old riding buddy of mine, who now rides an 08 Electra Glide, went riding together, and traded bikes for the day. Holy crap, what a revelation...I felt like I was sitting on a loosy goosey vibrating contraption with almost no sense of control. The riding 'geometry' was totally alien. I have to admit it was comfortable in a very different different way than the Feej, but I always had a feeling of just being along for the ride rather than being in control of the ride. Braking &acceleration, obviously, are totally different. I've regularly done 400 mile days on the Feej, and don't feel like I'm anything special in my riding skill or physical condition. Gotta admit, those Victorys are great looking bikes, so I hope they handle better than Harleys.

Of course, that's just my opinion...I could be wrong.. :glare:

This is funny. I just went from a Victory Cross Roads to the FJR due to comfort issues. My back just couldn't take the recliner style seating position of the Victory. After 3 seats, pull back bars, uncacuable changes to the control and handle-bar positions, it was just time to look for someting else. A 12 mile test ride on the FJR did the trick for my back, the foward cant seating felt awesome on my back. To be sure I wasn't having a new bike disease attack, I immediately took my Victory on the same 12 mile test ride, it took all of 2 miles to turn around, head back to dealer, and close the deal. Everyone has a different style for comfort, I would see if you can rent a Victory for a weekend to be sure the position fits you well.

YIKES!!

All this talk about Victory motorcycles and I just had to look at their website.

What a conglomeration of ugly!!!

I wouldn't care how well they're built, handle, maintain value, whatever...I could NEVER settle for such an ugly motorcycle. I'd rather ride a Vespa. :puke:

YIKES!!

All this talk about Victory motorcycles and I just had to look at their website.

I wouldn't care how well they're built, handle, maintain value, whatever...I could NEVER settle for such an ugly motorcycle. I'd rather ride a Vespa. :puke:
Holy Victory Vision Batman! :puke:

Yeah dude, since this is an FJR website and all, I'm going to have to go ahead and say that is one ugly mofo and you'd miss your FJR in no time. JHMO but I could never understand how someone could be so happy with a ST bike and then switch to something like that and be just as happy. Just keep working on getting your current bike more comfy :punk:

If possible, rent something for a week before deciding. IMHO, it's a lifestyle choice and If you're gonna go cruising, get a HD. . At least you'll have a support network. :fans: Never was the old saying, "misery loves company" , so apt.

It is all a matter of opinion. The wife of one of my co-workers thinks Harleys and their clones look "Cool". She thinks that Sport Tourers look "Gay" (I did check, she meant the bikes, not me personally). There is no way a Sport Tourer could be faster than a Harley, they're too quiet. Can't you hear how loud the Harley is? That means it's FASTER!

I am not making this up. This is the unshakeable belief of a woman over 40 years old. No amount of facts or logic could change her mind. She refused to ride on the back of my bike because it was "too ugly".

The Harleys I rode had to be over 2000 rpm or else they would shake to pieces. Above 2k and below 5k, they were actually quite smooth. The feet forward riding position means that all turning is done with the arms, you can't use the rest of your body to assist in turning the bike. It was like being paralyzed from the waist down. This is very tiring on a curvy road.

I like motorcycles in general, I don't condemn someone for not liking the type of bike I prefer. There is a reason there are so many cruiser type bikes out there. They just are not for me.

I agree with everyone who recommended a rental first. Spend at least a day with the thing before you buy it.

If you still feel you need both, do you have to listen to your wife? Just because she tells you that you can't have two bikes in the garage do you have to obey? Perhaps it is time to establish dominance in the household! Put your foot down and let her know who is the boss!

Uh, I gotta go. My wife says it is time for me to wash the dishes and clean the kitchen before I go to work... Good Luck!

Motorcycles are not like wives. Motorcycles can be divorced and there is no continuation of a bad relationship. The financial pain has a definite and comparatively low limit. There are no child support payments, no alimony. Once you divorce your motorcycle, you pay the fee and you are done. The motorcycle will not be beating at your door at 2:00 am begging you to let her back in the garage. You will be free to pursue any new, different motorcycle you wish.

The downside is that you sometimes divorce the one you should have stayed with. Sometimes your one true love is gone forever. You have to watch as another man rides her in public. This can painful
I guess I must be a polygamist, since I like to keep them all.

Bikes, that is.

I assume you're talking about a Victory tourer. I've been watching them for a while, and if/when it's time for a 2-up touring luxobarge, Victory's a prime target for me.

Around here, Victory dealers offer pretty extensive test riding options. You should go ride one, as many tmies as it takes to make a decision. Don't let others' tales make your decision for you, either way.

If you want a recliner on wheels, then you shouldn't have bought the FJR. It ain't never gonna be that. OTOH, it's that that hard to make it comfortable enough to do multi-hundred-mile days. Risers, seats, shields, an assortment of all of those are available.

I'm not a cruiser guy because I despise the control layout they always have. Maybe it looks "cool" to some to stretch for the bars and the foot controls, but comfortable? Not by any reasoning I'm aware of.

I think that if you want a cushy bike for highway miles, get a Gold Wing.

Well, I like all bikes, but prefer a FJR...that being said...

If you need to try the V-twin route, the Victory is a great choice! Well built and yes, they do contain modern technology. Go buy one, ride it everywhere. If you prefer it, great!. If not, there will still be FJR's around to come back to. You win either way! Go for it!

mr.paul

Wow, part of the reason I was glad I chose the FJR was this great forum. The response has been suprising.

To answer a few questions, This discomfort I feel is in my knees, and numbing hands after onle a few miles. I have added highway pegs, bar risers, larger windscreen. And even a cup holder. Im not sure what else I can do, other than peep in my shorts to see if I still have a pair. Sorry ladies ...

Im 6'2 210 lbs no medical issues ... maybe some mental....,maybe.

O and I ride a POS 2012 HD ELECTRA everyday for work.Guess what I do for a living So I know cruisers all to well.

You guys really get me thinking on this one........

It is all a matter of opinion. The wife of one of my co-workers thinks Harleys and their clones look "Cool". She thinks that Sport Tourers look "Gay" (I did check, she meant the bikes, not me personally). There is no way a Sport Tourer could be faster than a Harley, they're too quiet. Can't you hear how loud the Harley is? That means it's FASTER!

I am not making this up. This is the unshakeable belief of a woman over 40 years old. No amount of facts or logic could change her mind. She refused to ride on the back of my bike because it was "too ugly".

The Harleys I rode had to be over 2000 rpm or else they would shake to pieces. Above 2k and below 5k, they were actually quite smooth. The feet forward riding position means that all turning is done with the arms, you can't use the rest of your body to assist in turning the bike. It was like being paralyzed from the waist down. This is very tiring on a curvy road.

I like motorcycles in general, I don't condemn someone for not liking the type of bike I prefer. There is a reason there are so many cruiser type bikes out there. They just are not for me.

I agree with everyone who recommended a rental first. Spend at least a day with the thing before you buy it.

If you still feel you need both, do you have to listen to your wife? Just because she tells you that you can't have two bikes in the garage do you have to obey? Perhaps it is time to establish dominance in the household! Put your foot down and let her know who is the boss!

Uh, I gotta go. My wife says it is time for me to wash the dishes and clean the kitchen before I go to work... Good Luck!
I have ran into the same thing, with HarleyFans? IDIOTS

This is funny. I just went from a Victory Cross Roads to the FJR due to comfort issues. My back just couldn't take the recliner style seating position of the Victory. After 3 seats, pull back bars, uncacuable changes to the control and handle-bar positions, it was just time to look for someting else. A 12 mile test ride on the FJR did the trick for my back, the foward cant seating felt awesome on my back. To be sure I wasn't having a new bike disease attack, I immediately took my Victory on the same 12 mile test ride, it took all of 2 miles to turn around, head back to dealer, and close the deal. Everyone has a different style for comfort, I would see if you can rent a Victory for a weekend to be sure the position fits you well.
Now that is sound advice, from expierence

A year ago, I traded my Goldwing for he FJR. Oh definitely the FJR is sweet handling and runs circles (or at least curves) around the Goldwing. And so much lighter and easier to handle. The test drive was night and day on curvy roads. BUT..... the FJR has never been really comfortable for me beyond about 45 minutes, and I prefer 100-200 mile rides.

A couple of months ago, I did a 300 mile trip on the Goldwing Trike. I'd love to do that on the FJR but I know it wouldn't be bearable. That evening, my wife and I went out to dinner for another 100 miles on the trike.

I have been thinking about going back to a Goldwing.

You have to decide what style of riding you want and what tradeoffs you are willing to make.

Good luck,

Ken
Ive also considered the wing as well

You never said (or I don't remember) exactly which Victory you were considering. I won't lie, some of them have caught my attention. I am not a motorcycle snob, I will ride almost anything if given a chance. That horribly ugly monster Victory Vision is very appealing to me, it is really a fine machine under all that ugly.

Since you have experience with the big HD, you know that it is not all bad. If you like it, it's a great bike. We could all pick apart any bike on the road if we want, but somebody out there passionately loves whichever one we start picking on. You have to pick what is right for you. There is never a completely right or completely wrong answer.

Or, you could just get both bikes and see if your wife is really serious. If I could make mine leave by just buying another bike, I would be waiting at the dealership before it opened tomorrow!

You never said (or I don't remember) exactly which Victory you were considering. I won't lie, some of them have caught my attention. I am not a motorcycle snob, I will ride almost anything if given a chance. That horribly ugly monster Victory Vision is very appealing to me, it is really a fine machine under all that ugly.

Since you have experience with the big HD, you know that it is not all bad. If you like it, it's a great bike. We could all pick apart any bike on the road if we want, but somebody out there passionately loves whichever one we start picking on. You have to pick what is right for you. There is never a completely right or completely wrong answer.

Or, you could just get both bikes and see if your wife is really serious. If I could make mine leave by just buying another bike, I would be waiting at the dealership before it opened tomorrow!
Redfish! You Crack me the F@#K up every time you mention your SO! :lol: Moto, Pick whatever bike suits your Fancy. But, for the Love of God!..... Please don't let it be that Big Pile of UGLY that is the Vision!! That bike getting Mass Produced is a Clear Sign the Civilization as we know it is about to End!! :D