Should I stay or should I go?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That horribly ugly monster Victory Vision is very appealing to me, it is really a fine machine under all that ugly.

Or, you could just get both bikes and see if your wife is really serious. If I could make mine leave by just buying another bike, I would be waiting at the dealership before it opened tomorrow!
Redfish! You Crack me the F@#K up every time you mention your SO! :lol: Moto, Pick whatever bike suits your Fancy. But, for the Love of God!..... Please don't let it be that Big Pile of UGLY that is the Vision!! That bike getting Mass Produced is a Clear Sign the Civilaztion as we know it is about to End!! :D
After so much time with BigUn (my wife) things that are big and ugly must be starting to appeal to me. Perhaps that is why I like the look of the big ugly Vision. Plus, there is plenty of room on that thing for a "Plus Size Passenger".

I would post a pic of the wife here, but I would need a special wide angle lens for the camera. The resize function for this website would choke down. Photobucket can't handle the # of pixels required for photo like that. I used to have a "wallet size photo" of her. But the picture by itself weighed over 100 pounds. I had to carry it in the back of a dump truck if I brought it anywhere.

When they first came out I used to have a Yamaha Road Star Silverado all blinged out for about 2 years. Beautiful bike visually in my opinion. However it didn't take me long to realized that style of riding was just not for me. It's a little more cramped for my size so not perfectly comfortable but every time I lay into a corner or hammer down on the brakes I completely forget about that.

You ride an HD every day so you're probably more qualified to answer whether you'd be comfortable with the jump or not. I have to say though that if I was going to go to an American V-twin I'd definitely go the Victory vs the Harley route. With the exception of the hidious Vision, and a couple of other experiments, they have some very nice style.

Also, I know you'll think this is crazy, but my father in law had a newish Goldwing. We traded of for a ride and I was stunned at how well it handled for such a big bike. Not as well as my FJR but it was far more comfortable. Just a thought.

A good long term relationship with a bike can be hard to come by, have you tried everything out there to make it as comfortable as possible? You could buy a whole lot of accessories for 1/2 the price of that new bikes that you may not even like as much
This was my first thought as well. Depending on what part isn't comfortable for you, it may be something very easily fixed with some extra cash.

joint pain in the hips and knees, and knumb wrists. Ive added highway pegs and bar ends, and risers. the bike seems to ... small? Im 602 210. what else could i do?

After so much time with BigUn (my wife) things that are big and ugly must be starting to appeal to me. Perhaps that is why I like the look of the big ugly Vision. Plus, there is plenty of room on that thing for a "Plus Size Passenger".

I would post a pic of the wife here, but I would need a special wide angle lens for the camera. The resize function for this website would choke down. Photobucket can't handle the # of pixels required for photo like that. I used to have a "wallet size photo" of her. But the picture by itself weighed over 100 pounds. I had to carry it in the back of a dump truck if I brought it anywhere.
I just woke up, made a pot of coffee and read this. I Pee'd my Pants Laughing! :lol: :lol: Thanks Man! The was Hilarious!! Squirting coffee through the nose laughing is the Best Way Ever to wake up! :yahoo:

A good long term relationship with a bike can be hard to come by, have you tried everything out there to make it as comfortable as possible? You could buy a whole lot of accessories for 1/2 the price of that new bikes that you may not even like as much
This was my first thought as well. Depending on what part isn't comfortable for you, it may be something very easily fixed with some extra cash.

Just might try a new seat. This is the only thing that I have not added .

If only I could stretch my leg out. Ths highway pegs do help. but I still feel like I am wrapped up. Its really not bad on short trips but, those long day rides really starts to cramp me up.

I just woke up, made a pot of coffee and read this. I Pee'd my Pants Laughing! :lol: :lol: Thanks Man! The was Hilarious!! Squirting coffee through the nose laughing is the Best Way Ever to wake up! :yahoo:

I'm 6'2" 230 so I understand how you feel. I have bar riser but no highway pegs and a stock seat. I'm going to get crucified for this but when I'm out on the open road with no traffic I will take one leg at a time and rest it on top of the fairing panel where the glovebox is. It very comfortable and it stretches your thigh and calf muscles. A mile or two for each leg and I'm good to go.

Well its been 6 years with my 06 FJR, O the times we've had. But I have to decide should I keep her or trade her in for a new Victory? I'm getting older and the FJR just isn't as comfortable as I would like. I know I would be stepping down in technology but gaining more comfort in the ride. I have added as much farkle as I could to the FJR, but she just does not have the comfort of a recliner on wheels.

What do you guys think?

To head you off at the pass, Wife says NO to 2 bikes in the garage.
Questions only you can answer....I've been through a lot of bikes including wings and cruisers and the cruisers aren't necessarily more comfy. I just got back from 1,700 miles around California, and the Wing is looking a little more enticing again......but that cruise missile feel of the Feej is addicting......there is no wrong answer....ideally you need about 3 bikes for lifes various missions........you can always buy another FJ if you need to......it's only money........

I think bar risers might help me some but I also think the fixed position of my legs ends up causing problems too. Even on the trike (GW), I found that I needed to move my feet around. With my legs tucked behind me more on the FJR, it's more of a problem.

I know, I could start replacing things, but at what point does it stop? I am one who tends more to try to buy the right thing in the first place and NOT modify it.

Motorcop 2396,

I have been on two FJRs - an '03 and an '05 for nine seasons. It works for me in just about every respect. You might look into peg lowering kits for the driver, or have a clever friend fab some up for you. Cornering clearance would be affected,of course.

I test rode three Victorys in late June, then reviewed them in Northern Rockies Rider. The review is quite long so I will post it directly to you as a PM. If I were to go for a cruiser (which I will not) I would opt for a Victory over HD, except their dealer network remains thin in these parts. The engineers at Victory must have emulated HD: they vibrate, have clunky shifting and transmissions and the fuel injection calibration makes for abruptness between off- and on-throttle. I hated the seat! They are radically stepped and there is no movement fore and aft. Your butt is where it is, period. Suspension leaves much to be desired on their cruisers (short rear travel) but is better on the baggers and touring platforms. Brakes are okay. The Vision is very heavy and its dimensions are huge! Do you have a surplus stall in your garage? In my opinion, though they have gorgeous paint and chrome (if that turns your crank), they are simply not worth the money.

Sno Cat: I've never owned a Harley, but I've rented a couple, and the vibration is crazy. But the Victory bikes I've ridden had very low levels of vibration and high levels of comfort. In fact, the Victory Cross Country is one of the better big-rig touring bikes I've ridden. I've owned 5 big-rigs over the years: 3 Gold Wings, a Yamaha Venture(Gen II), and a Kawasaki Nomad. Cross Country Tour beats the pants off everything except the GL1800, and even then I'd be hard pressed to choose between the two.

MotorCop2396: If you are looking to make your SO comfortable, then no doubt the big rigs are the way to go. Be warned: two-up and loaded for traveling they are heavy bikes. You aren't going to want to do a lot of slow-n-go or knee-down twisties.

One option I've been looking at is getting a BMW K1600GTL, R1200RT or a Triumph Trophy SE. They offer somewhat the best of both worlds: more comfortable than the FJR1300 (theoretically, anyway), yet lots of curve capabilities.

Motorcop 2396,

I have been on two FJRs - an '03 and an '05 for nine seasons. It works for me in just about every respect. You might look into peg lowering kits for the driver, or have a clever friend fab some up for you. Cornering clearance would be affected,of course.

I test rode three Victorys in late June, then reviewed them in Northern Rockies Rider. The review is quite long so I will post it directly to you as a PM. If I were to go for a cruiser (which I will not) I would opt for a Victory over HD, except their dealer network remains thin in these parts. The engineers at Victory must have emulated HD: they vibrate, have clunky shifting and transmissions and the fuel injection calibration makes for abruptness between off- and on-throttle. I hated the seat! They are radically stepped and there is no movement fore and aft. Your butt is where it is, period. Suspension leaves much to be desired on their cruisers (short rear travel) but is better on the baggers and touring platforms. Brakes are okay. The Vision is very heavy and its dimensions are huge! Do you have a surplus stall in your garage? In my opinion, though they have gorgeous paint and chrome (if that turns your crank), they are simply not worth the money.

Motorcop 2396,

Got the link, Thanks man it sure does help making my decision.

I'm 6'2" 230 so I understand how you feel. I have bar riser but no highway pegs and a stock seat. I'm going to get crucified for this but when I'm out on the open road with no traffic I will take one leg at a time and rest it on top of the fairing panel where the glovebox is. It very comfortable and it stretches your thigh and calf muscles. A mile or two for each leg and I'm good to go.

I took a cross country trip from Athens Ga. to Colorado Springs, Funny, I did the samething on I 70. I even sat back on the passenger seat some.

I'm going to get crucified for this but when I'm out on the open road with no traffic I will take one leg at a time and rest it on top of the fairing panel where the glovebox is. It very comfortable and it stretches your thigh and calf muscles. A mile or two for each leg and I'm good to go.
I won't crucify you, but I think it is kinda funny. When we get uncomfortable on our bikes we do some of the strangest damn things. I ask myself sometimes just how much fun I am having when I am putting my feet on the passenger pegs, standing up at 75mph, sitting back on the passenger seat, etc. I see other riders do this with other bikes and other types of bikes. I keep wondering if a Russell Day Long might not solve all my issues (comfort issues!). There is no problem so large that it can't be fixed by throwing money at it.

motorcop,

I am almost the same as you (dimensionally, and I think chronologically) and I have a first gen FJR. It is the most comfortable bike that I have ever ridden for me, and I've ridden (and owned) a good number. The next most comfortable was a '94 BMW R1100RS (no, not RT) with barbacks and no other mods.

Why, you ask? Because way early on I learned the secret of long(ish) distance riding comfort, and it isn't what you think. I've never owned, nor would I use, highway pegs. To me the idea of stretching your legs out on front of you and putting all of your body weight onto your tail in the seat, is just WRONG. Instead, what you really want to try to do is support more of your weight with the major muscles in your legs and back. The secret is called the Master Yoda's Riding Position (MYRP). Google that

For FJR nirvana modification, the first thing I did (that really helped) was a Russell day-long seat. This is the biggest factor because it spreads the weight of your body over so much more of your posterior. The other (un-claimed) benefit is that the Russell will raise your butt about 1 inch or more. This lessens your knee angle to the pegs. But, because I am tall like you, I then added a set of Heli Bar risers on my 1st gen. Shorter peeps shouldn't need them, but big guys like us need some help to reach the bars, especially after raising the seat height.

As I've adjusted my body and become accustomed to the seat, pegs, bars relationship, and also worked my abdomen into better riding shape, I've considered ditching the bar risers, but for now at least I'll leave them alone. So one idea (if you are up to it) is to consider doing a little more at the gym to make you more comfy on the Feej.

I've gotta tell you now that if I was faced with riding a pirate replica bike like a Victory, I'd rather give up motorcycles altogether. I know that won't be a popular stance... people don't want to hear that kind of talk. And certainly beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder. But you won't catch my ass on one of those poor excuses for a motorcycle. I'd rather drive a convertible around than one of those pigs.

Last edited by a moderator: