Silly question on side bags

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mortenk posted, in part: If the hole covers aren't provided, can these be purchased somewhere (e.g. E-bay etc.)? If I am lucky they are somewhere like under the seat or in a glove department, but I doubt...
Don't worry about it now. Ride the bike, see how you like it with the bags on, see how you like it with the bags off. Then worry about it.

I've got 59,000 on my 2015, and have only ridden bagless 3 times. It's a lot of fun to catch up to and pass another biker when I'm the Big Fat Touring Bike with bags and a topbox. It's especially gratifying when it's a couple of sportbikers.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, new U.S. FJRs don't come with 3 KEYS. They come with 3 LOCKS and two keys. If I ever trade in or sell my FJR, it will go with 5 or 6 keys.

Everyone makes a big deal about the hole covers and almost no one uses them. I have the original set around here somewhere, but can't find them. I got a second set really cheap and had Garauld paint them. They're still in the envelope he returned them in, and still taped to the card. In 10.5 years, I have used those hole covers exactly ZERO times. Point is, you won't miss them.

I have a set of covers that I forgot to include when I sent all the other plastic to be painted. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats! I am apparently in the minority here. I rarely ride with the side bags on (only longer trips) and usually have the body plugs in. I do have a Givi Maxia 3 55L trunk on all of the time, however.

I don't have the bags on unless I'm on a big trip and I've never put the plugs in. I like a happy ending.
Aren't you worried the wind will get trapped in there and affect the weight distribution of the bike (front to rear)?
Good point. I've noticed a little rear end shimmy around 160 mph. It's probably the missing plugs.

Latest posts