Slider Sizes - OES vs. Motovation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very helpful response. Thanks. I'm going to copy and past this reply for every question and issue that gets posted here. That would solve everything. Shut down the forum, we have our answer folks.

Better yet, why don't vendors post the simple specs in the first place.

Call 'em up and ask them, will you please? Should take you about 10 minutes...
Wow...And to think, I was actually trying to be helpful and kind of nice. That's what I get. This thread has been going on for 4 days and you still don't have your answer. You expect that one of us should take the time out of our day to go and measure sliders for you when you could spend less time to pick up the phone and ask the vendor yourself.

If you spent the time to ask the vendor, you could get a more complete answer. Maybe if you wanted a longer set, they could hook you up. If you have technical questions, they can answer them. Hell, maybe one of them will act like an ass and you wont want to do business with them.

Not all questions are like this, as many are bike specific and may be something the vendor doesn't have an answer to. However, in the time it took you to get on here, read my post, get your delicate feelings hurt, think up a smartassed response, and post it, you coulda made a phone call.

Here, I'll even help you: "Hi, I ride an FJR. Can you tell me how long the sliders you make for my bike are?"

Holy cow...

Last edited by a moderator:
In the interest of trying to keep the peace...the left Motovation slider is 3 15/32" from the end to the frame. I'm guessing that the OES sliders will be approximately 3/4" shorter (the right side is), or about 2 23/32". I'm not sure why you really need the length of both sides though, I was just interested in which ones were longer, the OES or Motovation.

Very helpful response. Thanks. I'm going to copy and past this reply for every question and issue that gets posted here. That would solve everything. Shut down the forum, we have our answer folks.

Better yet, why don't vendors post the simple specs in the first place.

Call 'em up and ask them, will you please? Should take you about 10 minutes...
Wow...And to think, I was actually trying to be helpful and kind of nice. That's what I get. This thread has been going on for 4 days and you still don't have your answer. You expect that one of us should take the time out of our day to go and measure sliders for you when you could spend less time to pick up the phone and ask the vendor yourself.

If you spent the time to ask the vendor, you could get a more complete answer. Maybe if you wanted a longer set, they could hook you up. If you have technical questions, they can answer them. Hell, maybe one of them will act like an ass and you wont want to do business with them.

Not all questions are like this, as many are bike specific and may be something the vendor doesn't have an answer to. However, in the time it took you to get on here, read my post, get your delicate feelings hurt, think up a smartassed response, and post it, you coulda made a phone call.

Here, I'll even help you: "Hi, I ride an FJR. Can you tell me how long the sliders you make for my bike are?"

Holy cow...
Tell you what, I'll get the answer to my own question in the next couple days then, and post it up here for anyone else that might have the same. My original question was really a very simple one and given the popularity of both it would be safe to assume that at least one member has owned both and would have an easy answer to provide. I certainly don't expect anyone to drop everything they're doing to 'take the time out of their day' go measure something to answer my question, although I know that some, myself included, would. And, the fact that this thread is 4 days old and apparently several posts too many (whatever that quota is) has more to do with the general running off in other directions as many posts do and not a product of my initial inquiry. Certainly beyond my control.
FWIW, If you were trying to be helpful and nice then I apologize. I unfortunately read it as 'smartassed' as you read my reply.

In the interest of trying to keep the peace...the left Motovation slider is 3 15/32" from the end to the frame. I'm guessing that the OES sliders will be approximately 3/4" shorter (the right side is), or about 2 23/32". I'm not sure why you really need the length of both sides though, I was just interested in which ones were longer, the OES or Motovation.
For those that remain interested or those who come later here is what I have right now:

Motovation's are longer. Here's what I could get out of their folks:

"Overall, they are right about 4 inches on both sides.

Protruding from the frame once installed, the left side is 1 1/2 inch, the right is 2 3/4 inch"

With the OES now in hand I have measured them as follows:

Long - 2 7/8" for the main slider portion and 3 1/2" overall.

Short - 2" for the main slider portion and 2 7/8" overall.

They are 2" in diameter

Now, what difference does any of this make? I don't know. But I now at least know there is a difference in both O/A and side to side lengths, which was hard to discern in pictures. It's why I asked the question in the first place. Does the extra Motovation length (or the unequal side to side length) offer any extra level of protection in a tip over (which is really all I am concerned about)? I still don't know and now guess it probably does not matter. Both are well respected in this community and because it's so 50/50 I think there is no wrong choice. And all the other reoccurring points of argument probably don't matter either. Both materials are more than suitable for the job, if you want to spend more, then spend more, you don't need anyone's permission. And, yes, I know that in the time it took me to write this reply I could have taken a ride both factories, ;) ,slapped on a set of the appropriate sliders and tossed the bike to the ground a couple times for the last word on this but then there would be no points left to argue and what fun would that be?

Protruding from the frame once installed, the left side is 1 1/2 inch, the right is 2 3/4 inch"

Strange. Portruding from the frame, my Motovation sliders mearsure roughly 3 1/2"

Strange. Portruding from the frame, my Motovation sliders measure roughly 3 1/2"
Well, there you go. That info were directly quoted from the responses I received from them. After two attempts.

I have OES and have completed my dumb ass zero speed indoctrination. The OES sliders touched, the Throttlemeister bar ends touched, and my bag touched.

Becasue my knee slowed the fall... (Hyperextended and I was limping for a week), the bag and bar end impact as soft and they marks buffed out.

I know the OES don't stick out far enough to use them to recline my legs while cruising...

Just don't drop the FJR while your in the process of over thinking which protection to buy
huh.gif

I have OES and have completed my dumb ass zero speed indoctrination. The OES sliders touched, the Throttlemeister bar ends touched, and my bag touched.

Becasue my knee slowed the fall... (Hyperextended and I was limping for a week), the bag and bar end impact as soft and they marks buffed out.

I know the OES don't stick out far enough to use them to recline my legs while cruising...

Just don't drop the FJR while your in the process of over thinking which protection to buy
huh.gif
Now this is useful information. Just curious how much bag damage is actually done in a simple tip over? The fact that they buffed out is encouraging and indicates not that much I guess. I can't see myself ever needing the slider as highway pegs so that's not an issue either. And no worries on deciding. I already have the OES sliders here and they will be the first thing I install when my FJR returns form its recall service.

Thanks!

huh.gif
Now this is useful information. Just curious how much bag damage is actually done in a simple tip over? The fact that they buffed out is encouraging and indicates not that much I guess. I can't see myself ever needing the slider as highway pegs so that's not an issue either. And no worries on deciding. I already have the OES sliders here and they will be the first thing I install when my FJR returns form its recall service.

Thanks!
I am curious, as I said before, the sliders I have you need to remove it, to remove the right side Tupperware. I need a extension with a swivel to loosen the pinch bolt, then remove the slider to get the panel off. It will NOT go through the plastic on my 10.

I also have the rear sliders coming and am excited to have some bag protection back there. The Bar system that is around is just not me.

huh.gif

Thanks!
I am curious, as I said before, the sliders I have you need to remove it, to remove the right side Tupperware. I need a extension with a swivel to loosen the pinch bolt, then remove the slider to get the panel off. It will NOT go through the plastic on my 10.

I also have the rear sliders coming and am excited to have some bag protection back there. The Bar system that is around is just not me.

I don't have to remove the Motovation slider to remove the right side plastic. BTW, you don't have to mess with the pinch bolt, it holds a spacer in place. You can install and remove the slider bolt all day long without touching that pinch bolt.

huh.gif
Did your mirror hit the ground? Wondering if the slider saved the front plastic and mirror while causing more pivot to the rear of the bike and sacraficing the side bags instead?

I'm Curious! What Sliders do you have on? :unsure:

I don't have to remove the Motovation slider to remove the right side plastic. BTW, you don't have to mess with the pinch bolt, it holds a spacer in place. You can install and remove the slider bolt all day long without touching that pinch bolt.
I don't have to remove My Motovation Sliders to take the Right Fairing off Either! :rolleyes:

I installed these on my FJR:

N69_6-url.jpg

They're made from UHMWPE (Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene) aircraft aluminum and high-tensile steel bolts.

Available from T-Rex Racing

Don't know how they compare to nylon or delrin, but I like the look and design
I had a set of the old T-Rex sliders, but when everyone started having issues with them cracking, I replaced mine with a set of Motovation sliders.
I noticed some ebay auction ad for the T-Rex sliders stated they were made of Delrin, so I contacted T-Rex, and their e-mail reply was:

We did use delrin once but have since changed to the new material some years back. There must be a mistake in the auction and that needs to be changed. Delrin is more brittle, this is why we changed.

I'd guess this explains the cracking experienced with earlier versions of the sliders. I also researched the UHMWPE material, and it seems to be very well suited to the application. I just wish T-Rex made rear sliders as well...

My OES sliders are installed and I am pleased. As everyone has mentioned these couldn't be easier to install and do not need to be removed to remove the side fairing lowers. Because of the discussion on length I thought I'd post a few pics here for posterity.

Left side:

When I initially installed the right side slider the shoulder of the slider was making contact with the fairing lower. Had the should been cut a little further up it would not have been an issue but I hink over time and with repeated vibration it would have caused some wear in that spot.

Right side as it was:

But, after loosening this side to remove the highway pegs and tweaking things a little forward when things were re-tightened I was able to gain about 1/8" of clearance. Still fussy but will work and I'll keep an eye on it to see if that gap closes at all.

Right side after plastic tweaking:

Glad to now have a little protection with something that blends pretty well with the rest of the bike.

After reading all of this I still have one question. Will the mirrors touch the ground with the slider installed? I don't mean a lowside sliding event, I mean like I'm a clumsy old guy and I drop it in a parking lot while climbing my fat butt off kind of fall. If the OES is the shorter one, does it protect the plastic enough? No, I do NOT want anyone to go out and kick their bike over to find out. But if one of you is feeling really helpful...

After reading all of this I still have one question. Will the mirrors touch the ground with the slider installed? I don't mean a lowside sliding event, I mean like I'm a clumsy old guy and I drop it in a parking lot while climbing my fat butt off kind of fall. If the OES is the shorter one, does it protect the plastic enough? No, I do NOT want anyone to go out and kick their bike over to find out. But if one of you is feeling really helpful...
I think it depends on how gently you lay it down.

I think it depends on how gently you lay it down.
This is True! If you are hanging on all the way down, it will sit gently on the slider. If its hard and fast, it will lay down completely and scratch and maybe bend the mirror post. :(