Slider Sizes - OES vs. Motovation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, no, the mirror will fold up and it just scratches the paint all to hell...Of course that was what I saw happen to someone else, I have not personally dropped the bike ever. Well, maybe one time. I think I will order the OES, they are cheaper, everybody says good things about them and they don't seem to stick out so far that they look bad. I ordered the MC Enterprises guards for the front of the saddlebags earlier this morning, I may as well keep spending. Next will be some Colorite to touch up (hopefully) the saddlebag and mirror. It's only money right? Why not spend it?

Just to re-kick the anthill OES offers two versions for the FJR, there is an EXTENDED version which they show on the website as "about 3/4 of an inch longer than the standard version". Longer is better, right? If you are going to spend money you should spend as much as possible, right? Ordered long version, hope they don't look stupid. Of course those scratches on the saddlebag and mirror look pretty damn stupid already.

jmdaniel

FJR Squadron Leader

Group:

Members++ Posts:

794 Joined:

20-November 06 Gender:Male Location:Austin, TX Bike: 2007 ABS (N. America)

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

I had to change a slider out, (don't ask why), and ordered a new right side from OES. They put labels on them now, so I mentioned I needed a new label for the left side, to match the new slider on the right. Everything came as expected, but I noticed they are now machining an inset on the sliders, in order to place this label. I thought crap, even though the label on the left will look close to that on the right, it won't be the same. Oh well, I put the label on, only to find out the second change that had been made; they have now reduced the diameter of the hole the bolt goes into. As I was using my old bolt with my new slider, this caused an issue, as the socket no longer fit into the slider. I contacted OES, who told me they are no longer using hex head bolts, but now use socket head bolts, and this was the reason for the reduced diameter. They apologized, and immediately sent two new bolts.

They came in today, and along with them, a new left side slider, with the machined inset, matching the right side! I wrote to them, thanking them for the free slider, asked them if it was for the left, and got this in response:

"Yes, just to make the kit match up, look better on the bike, and better represent our product. We didn’t charge for the extra slider. Thanks again."

Hat's off to OES, for a quality job in customer service!

2007 Yamaha FJR 1300A

2003 Honda VTX 1300S

1986 Honda Shadow 700

I have Motovation sliders because if I spend more they must be better and I believe only the best is half good enough :crazy: but look at this customer service post from last week. OES sounds awesome!
Yep, I agree! Also, I read that OES will make the sliders longer, if you request it. If true, that would be nice. <oooops, didn't read the post above mine, before posting...>

Last edited by a moderator:
No, no, the mirror will fold up and it just scratches the paint all to hell...Of course that was what I saw happen to someone else, I have not personally dropped the bike ever. Well, maybe one time. I think I will order the OES, they are cheaper, everybody says good things about them and they don't seem to stick out so far that they look bad. I ordered the MC Enterprises guards for the front of the saddlebags earlier this morning, I may as well keep spending. Next will be some Colorite to touch up (hopefully) the saddlebag and mirror. It's only money right? Why not spend it?
Voice of experience here, get the longer ones, and they will not protect the mirror, IN MOST CASES. You may run into a situation where you have elevation changes that favor you; i.e. what the slider lands on is higher than where the mirror would have hit, and you'll be saved. But in most cases, this isn't going to be true.

My reason for needing a new right side slider was a low speed drop at a PGR event, where the knuckleheads that did the pre ride and route thought it would be fine to run us into a < 90 degree corner, on loose gravel, staggered but close enough to almost be running side by side on a 10 foot wide drive, and oh yeah, having us bounce over a bump created by a drainage culvert, right at the corner. Easier to do on a torquey, low seat height Harley, which most PGR riders ride, not so much on a Feejer, on the inside of the turn. Thank goodness I left my bags off that day, only had to buy a new mirror and a used exhaust can. And oh yeah, a replacement OES slider.

Just to update, the OES extended sliders for the FJR are:

Left side: 3 and 15/16ths inches end to end

Right side: 3 and 1/2 inches end to end

Installed the OES extended sliders and the MC Enterprises rear tipover bars this morning. OES looks very good against the Black Cherry paint. A good and easy install. BTW the reat tipover bars will not allow the passenger footpegs to fold up ever again.