Small problem installing factory heated grips on a 2008

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toynut

Reaction score
I was in the process of installing a bunch of farkles on my '08 and have come up on a little problem.

The factory kit includes a new throttle cable housing that is enlarged to accommodate the electrical grip wiring internaly (unlike my "05 factory kit).

Upon installing the little hold down tab on the first grommet on the cable, the second grommet is captured at the end of the housing. I assembled the housing around the throttle tube. Twisting the throttle causes a noticeable drag on the throttle to the point that it won't return without assistance (all factory throttle springs are still attached). The molded outlet and the wiring appears be bunching up and dragging against the top of the rear cover. The factory instruction sheet is pretty poor and does not show the wire routing very clearly. However, I can't see how I could have installed it wrong. Any suggestions as to a possible cause or remedy? Anyone else run into this? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in the process of installing a bunch of farkles on my '08 and have come up on a little problem.The factory kit includes a new throttle cable housing that is enlarged to accommodate the electrical grip wiring internaly (unlike my "05 factory kit).

Upon installing the little hold down tab on the first grommet on the cable, the second grommet is captured at the end of the housing. I assembled the housing around the throttle tube. Twisting the throttle causes a noticeable drag on the throttle to the point that it won't return without assistance (all factory throttle springs are still attached). The molded outlet and the wiring appears be bunching up and dragging against the top of the rear cover. The factory instruction sheet is pretty poor and does not show the wire routing very clearly. However, I can't see how I could have installed it wrong. Any suggestions as to a possible cause or remedy? Anyone else run into this? :unsure:

make sure you put a loop in it (under the housing) so it won't drag when twisted(if that makes sense). i'll try to find a pic

Just did my '06 yesterday and had no issues. But I understand that the '08 has less spring pull.

Did you lubricate the specified parts in the housing? It does make a difference.