Smell / Hot Engine or Rubber type smell

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may have found the issue of this "burnt rubber" type of smell from some FJR owners...like me. I do not know all the engine designs but mine has a plate (that is all Yamaha calls it) with rubber slots that sits on top of the engine just below the air box and adjacent to the top of the clutch plate housing. I do not know exactly why Yamaha added this plate except to think that part of the engine must get a bit hotter than the rest and this plate with the rubber channels helps to move the heat in different directions than just upwards. I would show some pics, but for some reason I can't get them in this message from my computer. On Yamaha Parts Nation it is part # 31 item 5JW-15113-00-00 at https://www.yamahapartsnation.com/oemparts/a/yam/5286992af8700230dc2a74cb/crankcase The rubber must get so hot that it makes this smell. If you take a flash light and look just behind the top bolt on the clutch cover to the third bolt going counter clockwise you will see these "vents" running on top of the motor just behind the clutch housing.

Since I couldn't find a way to add pics to this topic, I made a short Youtube video on this plate with the rubber ribbed backing so you all could see exactly where it is on your bike...providing the engine is the same gen as I am not sure when this plate was added. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJs6pKnfAZ4

I think the plate is more for acoustics. It presses against a thin wall casing which house a cluster of straight cut gears. But youre probably right about it being the source for the smell.

Put the bike back together and go for a ride!

Support your favourite tire manufacturer.

Brodie

😊

I think the plate is more for acoustics. It presses against a thin wall casing which house a cluster of straight cut gears. But youre probably right about it being the source for the smell.
Put the bike back together and go for a ride!

Support your favourite tire manufacturer.

Brodie

😊
Y'all need to dine at Taco Bell more often, then you'll smell other things besides burning rubber!
lol.gif

On my 2007, I get the “hot electrical smell” on the left side of the bike where the tank meets the frame.

It’s been doing it for 40,000 miles, so clearly it’s not an issue.....

Biknflyfisher

Latest posts