Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"How is this unit baffled for heat distribution. Beautiful exterior look...needs grease."

It had a solid 1/4" thick plate welded in just above the intake from the firebox that runs to the other side of the bottom of the food cooking chamber....stopping a few inches from the other side. (Reverse flow) apparently there is a formula to use to figure out how big the opening needs to be depending on the size of the intake and cooking chamber.

Here is a photo of one welded in on another unit he's making:

image_zpsbd2zoaac.jpg

He has that one for sale, but I wanted the square firebox.

Edit...figured it out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Photo of my tank and one of the two heads of the company:

image_zps0b7omdnx.jpg

It's short...but it's wide. (Deep)

Door to my fire box...(they are going to remove this and build the box from 12 gauge steel)

image_zpsykaarlje.jpg

Will have a slide out charcoal basket and a slide out ash tray.

I'll be on call and stuck at the new house all weekend. Hmmm, I think I shall fire up the smoker this weekend and tease the new neighbors.
biggrin.png

Hmmm, now what do I put on the smoker?

Pork shoulder if you have the time (12 hours or so) and like pulled pork, otherwise maybe a couple of pork tenderloins.

Beef prices are in outer space these days. Pork is a relative bargain and oh-so-good!

Yea, brisket is so easy and done many times.
biggrin.png

If I can manage to buy a pork butt and resist the urge to cook it up all Pioneer Woman Dr. Pepper Chipotle style, I might actually get around to smoking one. But that is so darn tasty.

Yea, brisket is so easy and done many times.
biggrin.png
If I can manage to buy a pork butt and resist the urge to cook it up all Pioneer Woman Dr. Pepper Chipotle style, I might actually get around to smoking one. But that is so darn tasty.
I thought they only do beef in texas...
rolleyes.gif

This is what I think makes a perfect smoker.... It is a whiskey barrel... I have built many of these over the years. The great thing about using a whiskey barrel is that the smell of the whiskey gets into the smoke and the flavor is wonderful...

Whiskey barrel?? No wonder the micks are always bugging you.

I'll be on call and stuck at the new house all weekend. Hmmm, I think I shall fire up the smoker this weekend and tease the new neighbors.
biggrin.png

Hmmm, now what do I put on the smoker?
Brisket
And now I have an official request from one of the Sunday guests that it be Brisket. Guess brisket it is.