Smuggler Project

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just make sure the first ones made are in Raven Black
rolleyes.gif

Hi Riona,

Further to the police pod, here are some close-ups of mine. Let me know if you need different angles or some info on mounting points.

20130415140.jpg

20130415141.jpg

20130415142.jpg

20130415143.jpg

20130415144.jpg

The lid is aluminium, the external lower is ABS plastic and the inner base is steel.

Good luck with your project.

It was my understanding that Yamaha actually makes something similar for the FJR1300's used in Europe as Police Bikes....
Nick - you are right - here is the picture on Wikipedia

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:TSC_Yamaha_FJR_1300_-_Flickr_-_Highway_Patrol_Images_(2).jpg
I bought one of these "Police Boxes" from a member on the Australian FJR forum. Shipping was pretty high, but he only wanted about $75 for the box. Came to about $120 total, shipped.

It's turning out to be quite a project. The sidewalls are quite thin and flexible, so I've reinforced with a layer of fiberglass. There's also no bottom to it, so I'm trying to figure out how to attached a rear seat pan to it and make an interior from fiberglass. If all goes well, the rear seat lock mechanism will hold it in place.

The lid is pretty sturdy - fairly thick aluminum.

Hi Riona,
Further to the police pod, here are some close-ups of mine. Let me know if you need different angles or some info on mounting points.

20130415140.jpg

20130415141.jpg

20130415142.jpg

20130415143.jpg

20130415144.jpg

The lid is aluminium, the external lower is ABS plastic and the inner base is steel.

Good luck with your project.
I bough one of these from a fellow Aussie about a year ago. Didn't come with anything on the interior, however. I'm planing on mounting it to a rear seat pan, then glassing the interior.

I also didn't get the little pad on the front of it. Did you add this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been thinking of doing a "one off" of a modified Smuggler for some time. I got real excited a few years ago when I came across a local guy that made a product for a snow machine that I thought I could use a similar process and make a very nice "trunk" (water proof) for easily less than half of what they are charging for the Smuggler. After talking design and business with him he told me that a major snow machine manufacturer filed a suit against his company (him) for patent infringement. The truth was that his product was nothing like theirs but they had the money and attorneys to spend some time on it and I think their goal was to just put the competition out of business. Anyway ....... After looking into the patent on the Smuggler I thought it was generic enough that most forms of an "interchangeable seat trunk" would probably result in similar action. Win or lose? Link to the patent https://www.freepatentsonline.com/7556114.pdf
I also didn't want to throw out a couple grand to pay a patent attorney to give me an opinion on something that could be challenged in the end anyway after I put a bunch of money into getting a saleable product. I'm for sure not educated on the whole process but after speaking with him it made me nervous enough to shelve the idea. Good luck with your process, I'm very interested in seeing what you come up with.
Just remember, you can build anything for yourself, with no worries of patent issues.
+1

You can even turn your AMC Gremlin into a Porsche

l.jpg

Competition is good - there isn't any competition for this particular item and Corbin's pricing reflects that. I considered it a must-have, so I paid my money, regardless of the reported leaking issues. 10 week lead time for delivery so I'm still waiting patiently......
Build a better mouse-trap and the world will beat a path to your door!

Looking forward to see what you come up with.
Agreed on the "must have", at least now that I have one. I cannot imagine not having it now, it is just so freaking useful. I paid $500 for it used but still think that is a good price for a new one if you can do it.