So, I finally joined the ranks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question: Will the Canyon Cages from the 2014 fit on the 2016? Anyone know?
Sorry to hear about your accident!

I just installed the rear canyon cages on my 2016 this evening. I'll do the front guards on Saturday. Reading through the front installation instructions there are extra spacers included in the kit for 2015 FJRs. I'm assuming I'll need them for my 2016 model. If your 2014 kit didn't include these you <might> need to get these additional spacers??

Bad news about the crash. Good thing it wasn't worse though.

Good news about the insurance.

On the stems, I had some on the last FJR, but I prefer having the 90o on the gauge, not the stems. So I have one of these--the brand on mine is Accu-Gauge, but you can find them all over. I think it's the simplest solution. No batteries required, either. By the way, it's awful tight getting in there whatever stems or gauge you have, especially on the front wheel, but you kind of figure out how to do it the easiest way for you after a little while.

41TMLmAK4GL._SY300_.jpg

Welcome to the asylum Mr. Brown.
I expect we'll see that '16 at Moonshine next year.
I feel pretty good about the 2016 this morning so I guess I'll go get it. It was my intention to be at Moonshine with the 2014 but that plan was abruptly changed. I was there on my Wing which I intend to keep. I plan to be at Moonshine in 2017 with the FJR and I hope those plans don't get changed.

Let the re-farkeling begin. Canyon Cages, MC Larry triple tree plate and peg lowers, touring windshield, heated gear lead, NLine dash shelf, two Garmin GPS', one with XM weather, music and traffic, J&M CB and Spot tracker. That should be a good start.

I'm going to hold off talking to Mike Langford about an aux tank until I see how the fuel range and my range compare with each other. I plan to have Mean City Cycles rebuild the driver seat.

Good plan except for the peg lowers. I like the corners and the peg lowers didn't so if that your stile too, you might rethink that.

And of course we will expect pictures along the way.

And yes I'm jealous.

Congrats!

db

Good plan except for the peg lowers. I like the corners and the peg lowers didn't so if that your stile too, you might rethink that.
And of course we will expect pictures along the way.

And yes I'm jealous.

Congrats!

db
For what it's worth department.

You're having the seat rebuilt, have them raise the seat. Don't lower the pegs.

Well, long story short, you can't make this stuff up, on the second day of my 10 day temporary tag I was stopped at a red light and a girl crashed into me and totaled the 2014 FJR.
The good news is that her insurance company treated me very well and it looks like I'm picking up a new 2016 FJR-A tomorrow. It's not a done deal but it looks better than 90%. I plan to think about it overnight but it's a real good deal and I just want to make sure I feel as good about it tomorrow as I do today.

Question: Will the Canyon Cages from the 2014 fit on the 2016? Anyone know?
Now that is a crappy way to break in a new-to-you bike but glad to hear its made it easy for you to trade up. You didn't mention it so am assuming you came out of the incident relatively unscathed.

Being hit while stopped at a red light is now officially my number one concern while riding. I was already pretty good about stopping between cars at lights (lucky to be in Cali) but now it will be religious!

Definitely not a great way to get a '16...glad you're around to tell us about it.

Congrats on [another] new scoot and for sure post up pics!

--G

I saw the (sideways) picture of your new 2016 A over at the MTF site.

Congratulations!

IMG_0268.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, upgrading the hard way. And are the Canyon Cages crash bars any good if you got crashed into anyway? kidding...

Congrats on the new bike though. Make sure pictures make it onto here. I too am a fan of standard valve stems and an angled gauge. Cheap to change to new stems at every tire change. However, to be fair, I would have angled stems if I wasn't so cheap.

Watch for those damn cars! I always say my greatest fear on the road is young women on cell phones. I have been low speed rear ended twice in my van recently, both times while sitting at a light waiting. Also locally, a woman just got busted for texting and driving after the cop followed her for 2 minutes with lights flashing and she didn't notice. It's scary out there!

Last edited by a moderator:
You only have to install the stems once. You don't have to change every tire change.

And as George said, "Congrats on [another] new scoot and for sure post up pics!'

I too am a fan of standard valve stems and an angled gauge. Cheap to change to new stems at every tire change. However, to be fair, I would have angled stems if I wasn't so cheap.

Latest posts