So I Think I'm About To Know A Dead Guy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ari Rankum

NAFO Karting Champion, 2012
Reaction score
I've become friends with a local family that owns a restaurant near my home. One of the kids, we'll call him Jonathan, cuz that's his name, has recently wadded up two really nice Infinitis. The last one, a 2008 G37, by turtling it and sliding it down a divided highway on its roof for a couple hundred yards, EJECTING himself, and, ultimately, smashing the car to smithereens on a utility pole.

Because he's got no more money for cars, he bought a brand new Gixxer. Huh? What's that? No, of course not, he does not have a motorcycle license.

I've spent too much time, I'm sure, from his perspective, telling him he's not suited for a bike and that he's very likely to get badly hurt, or worse. Before he got the bike, I always kept him in front of me when at the restaurant, because he's got this persistent air of one who could not be trusted with a book of matches.

I decided I somewhat have a responsibility here, because I really do think he's going to kill himself. So I started talking to him about the most likely situations a crazy kid on a motorcycle with absolutely no technical knowledge will face and prolly do the wrong thing. I began with motorcycle dynamics in a decreasing radius curve. When I got to the countersteering part, both our expressions raised the intensity of the conversation to the next level. He started it. He began this wry smile as he believed he had caught my bullshitting a novice rider, trying to make him turn his bars the wrong way in a turn. My expression, in turn, become one of angst, as in, oh hell, this kid really is going to kill himself.I don't think most humans with penises should have motorcycles under the age of 25. Humans who have wadded up cars and left them for dead on their roofs in the street should not have motorcycles. 20 year olds without licenses or any practical knowledge of how to operate a motorcycle, who have binned two cars in the last six months should not have Gixxers.

So, what to do? I feel like I've said all this kid will ever hear - which is nothing. But I also strongly feel this is going to end very badly and, knowing this, I'm morally/ethically/whatever required to do something more. Opinions?

I've become friends with a local family that owns a restaurant near my home. One of the kids, we'll call him Jonathan, cuz that's his name, has recently wadded up two really nice Infinitis. The last one, a 2008 G37, by turtling it and sliding it down a divided highway on its roof for a couple hundred yards, EJECTING himself, and, ultimately, smashing the car to smithereens on a utility pole.
Because he's got no more money for cars, he bought a brand new Gixxer. Huh? What's that? No, of course not, he does not have a motorcycle license.

I've spent too much time, I'm sure, from his perspective, telling him he's not suited for a bike and that he's very likely to get badly hurt, or worse. Before he got the bike, I always kept him in front of me when at the restaurant, because he's got this persistent air of one who could not be trusted with a book of matches.

I decided I somewhat have a responsibility here, because I really do think he's going to kill himself. So I started talking to him about the most likely situations a crazy kid on a motorcycle with absolutely no technical knowledge will face and prolly do the wrong thing. I began with motorcycle dynamics in a decreasing radius curve. When I got to the countersteering part, both our expressions raised the intensity of the conversation to the next level. He started it. He began this wry smile as he believed he had caught my bullshitting a novice rider, trying to make him turn his bars the wrong way in a turn. My expression, in turn, become one of angst, as in, oh hell, this kid really is going to kill himself.I don't think most humans with penises should have motorcycles under the age of 25. Humans who have wadded up cars and left them for dead on their roofs in the street should not have motorcycles. 20 year olds without licenses or any practical knowledge of how to operate a motorcycle, who have binned two cars in the last six months should not have Gixxers.

So, what to do? I feel like I've said all this kid will ever hear - which is nothing. But I also strongly feel this is going to end very badly and, knowing this, I'm morally/ethically/whatever required to do something more. Opinions?
Where are the creators of the monster?

Do they care at all? and if so have ya had a chat with them, seems to me you have done all you can and it is time to leave it to fate...

my 0.02

Alfredo

Guys like this, unfortunately, seem to have self fulfilling destinys. Social Darwinism.

How old is he? Sounds like 20 or so? He obviously has no parental supervision or any responsibility training in years past.

How about calling the cops every time he rides out, he'll surely do something stupid shortly after he leaves the driveway. After enough arrests, maybe he'll get a clue?

Tough spot friend. Don't beat yourself up if he does auger in though.

Ask to take it for a ride and fling it down the street for him before he does. Maybe he'll be down to bicycle money after that ?

or get him interested in stunting. That way at least, the first dozen crashes would be low speed ones.

Some people, especially the young, refuse to be saved from themselves. If you have any pull with the parents maybe squealing on him will help..but I fear like many of us he's determined to find out for himself.

At that age kids are indestructible, or so they think. I was the same way 'till I was bout 22, and was in a bad car accident. The crash woke me up to mortality, and I began taking things a little easier. This kid, and his history of crashes, needs some serious intervention, or It will take losing a limb, paralysis, or death to make him come to his senses.

I decided I somewhat have a responsibility here, because I really do think he's going to kill himself.
You do have a responsibility, and you've fullfilled it. Some refuse to learn. Your job is done.

That being said, I've know a couple of these guys, who, because I ride came to me for advice. The conversations usually go like this.

"Dude! Gixxer or R1?"

"First a question: Do you find people cut you off a lot in traffic?"

"Ya, that's why I want lots of power, to get out of the way"

"How many accidents have you had in the last couple of years"

"3, but none of them were my fault, people cant f'n drive!"

"How many tickets have you got in the last couple of years?"

"A couple, but.... Gixxer or R1?!"

"Have you ever ridden a bike before?"

"Dude! I had a Honda dirt bike, it gave me mad skillz!"

"How long did you ride it?"

"One summer until the stupid thang busted its frame off a jump.. oh you shoulda seen that ....!!!"

"Neither, your gonna die, it doesn't matter if you ride a skateboard or Gixxer, your gonna die."

"Pffft.. were all gonna die!"

"True, but do you wanna die in pieces before the end of the month?"

and then they go out and buy their bike and wad it, and themselves, up. If their really lucky, they just go on the ashphalt diet plan, usually, they don't though.

It won't be your fault. Short kicking him out the door at 60mph to 'teach' him what road rash feels like.... theirs nothing you can do. Young. Immortal, Stupid. It won't be your fault.

Wrong approach. Assist him in a quick demise, so that you lessen the possibility he will kill others yet survive to kill again. You have a golden opportunity here, don't squander it.

...This kid, and his history of crashes, needs some serious intervention...
What sucks is that he may not just take out himself, he may have other involuntary victims. Just as bad is when The Kid comes sliding across the road sans GIXXER and some wholly innocent driver can't avoid hitting him. Then the driver has to live with having killing someone.

I believe that riding without a license is illegal and young Johnny has proven to be a 100% certainty for pain and agony. Is diming him out to the cops an option? There aren't many times I would suggest this as an option, but it may be the only way to overcome parenting failure and puerile ignorance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that riding without a license is illegal and young Johnny has proven to be a 100% certainty for pain and agony. Is diming him out to the cops an option?
Around here, getting caught riding without an endorsement means you walk home and the bike gets towed.

At least talk to his parents about buying him really nice and expensive Cycleport gear, and hoping he wears it, so they might be able to host a viewing after his inevitable demise. Explaining it like that, along with some graphic photos of motorcycle crashes from the internet might prompt them to do something responsible. Other than that, I'd say detach. A man's got to know his limitations. If his own parents don't care, why should you?

I've got a little problem myself that I could use some sage advice with. I'll probably post it up tonight....

may be the best approach would be to get him to a race track with instruction. he will find out in short order just how slow and awarkward he is / as others blow him away .this may encourage, challenge him to learn proper operation and techniqe

if he learns to go fast there any crazy stuff on the street will be OVER . good luck and hoping for the best !

Wrong approach. Assist him in a quick demise, so that you lessen the possibility he will kill others yet survive to kill again. You have a golden opportunity here, don't squander it.
+1...

At least talk to his parents about buying him really nice and expensive Cycleport gear
If he's under 25 and hasn't wrecked before there's no way he'll wear it, it's not cool or in style.

may be the best approach would be to get him to a race track with instruction
Yes, a track day would be best for him IMHO. Let him wad it up there where it's much more safe.

I decided I somewhat have a responsibility here, because I really do think he's going to kill himself.
You do have a responsibility, and you've fullfilled it. Some refuse to learn. Your job is done.

That being said, I've know a couple of these guys, who, because I ride came to me for advice. The conversations usually go like this.

"Dude! Gixxer or R1?"

"First a question: Do you find people cut you off a lot in traffic?"

"Ya, that's why I want lots of power, to get out of the way"

"How many accidents have you had in the last couple of years"

"3, but none of them were my fault, people cant f'n drive!"

"How many tickets have you got in the last couple of years?"

"A couple, but.... Gixxer or R1?!"

"Have you ever ridden a bike before?"

"Dude! I had a Honda dirt bike, it gave me mad skillz!"

"How long did you ride it?"

"One summer until the stupid thang busted its frame off a jump.. oh you shoulda seen that ....!!!"

"Neither, your gonna die, it doesn't matter if you ride a skateboard or Gixxer, your gonna die."

"Pffft.. were all gonna die!"

"True, but do you wanna die in pieces before the end of the month?"

and then they go out and buy their bike and wad it, and themselves, up. If their really lucky, they just go on the ashphalt diet plan, usually, they don't though.

It won't be your fault. Short kicking him out the door at 60mph to 'teach' him what road rash feels like.... theirs nothing you can do. Young. Immortal, Stupid. It won't be your fault.

=========

What he said !!!!!! you tried and that is more then his immediate family is doing............

Now..... get a funnel and pour two cups of sand in his crank case........ then.......

well ..... you get the idea......... you can't steal it ... insurance money will get him a new one.

B.

Ever try to sober up a drunk? It may be best to distance yourself from the kid. Who knows, he may just get curious as to why. One can only hope.

And the alleged parents will moan and wail, and blame "Those horrible motorcycles!"

Don't let these fools and their offspring tear you up. Raise your own kids better, really, that's all we can do.

Is this kid Korean?

On the other hand, you never know about some of these people who can't drive. Can this kid ride a bicycle? Several times I've seen kids who can't learn to run an auto, take to a bike like a duck to water. It's because the motorcycle is more personal - they're connected to it through instant and constant feedback. A car is just too big, too mechanical, and they never learn to control one. I grew up next to a kid like that. His folks wouldn't let him near their pick-up or car, because he wrecked the them both, but he could run his Honda like nobody's buisness.

I had a nephew that my brother and I couldn't teach, to drive to save his life (we were practically ready to strangle the boy). Every time he'd approach a stop sign, we'd tell him to slow, and begin braking. He had it in his mind to brake when he got to the stop sign - every damn time. Naturally, he'd have the car out in the intersection - every damn time. After weeks, we gave up. He was an intelligent boy, but he couldn't do what he was told, behind the wheel. Since he rode a bicycle all the time, I came up with the idea of trying him on a bike. We did, and he learned like he'd been born on one. However, my brother got him a car, not a bike, not long after. He beat that car to hell and gone, and the next one that he bought himself, but he did learn to drive, after a fashion. He's 24, today, and I'd call him an average driver. On a motorcycle, he's pretty talented (except he doesn't own one.)

All is not lost, with your friend's son. Ride with him a little, keep trying to advise him, and you never know - he may turn out to be a natural.

Of course, there are those who can't do anything right, on two or four wheels.

See? This is the problem with society today. Everybody trying to get in the way of Natural Selection. And as a result, our species as a whole is becoming diluted with all kinds of crap.

Let nature take it's course.

I would have to agree with two reoccurring themes in this thread. First is that you have done more than your part in trying to help this kid understand the risks he is taking on. Second is the thought of getting him to the track. It has been my experience that guys with little to no fear take the chances necessary to make them a cut above in sports like motorcycle racing. Encouraging him to use his "skills" on the track, where the proper protective gear is cool, may keep him and others safe.

Of course if he is hell bent for election, you will not be able to help him. In which case I would defer to Skooterg's comment and allow natural selection to do its necessary work.

IMHO

Last edited by a moderator: