So pissed off, I may never purchase a Yamaha product ever again

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSLT1KID

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2004 Yamaha FJR. The motorcycle was involved in a collision shortly after being purchased in 2004 and was subsequently totaled out by the insurance company. The motorcycle was rebuilt and is now in good mechanical condition. I have noticed a distinct hesitation under acceleration. I took the motorcycle to my local Yamaha dealership to purchase some parts and to inquire if all applicable recalls had been conducted on the motorcycle. The person at the counter ran the VIN and related the motorcycle was red flagged by Yamaha. I was given a phone number to call. I called Yamaha corporate and the employee on the phone related the motorcycle needed a Throttle Position Sensor recall done, but due to the motorcycle being totaled out Yamaha would not conduct the recall under warranty. I explained to the robot on the phone that I completely understand the warranty being effected by the motorcycle being totaled, however, the TPS was faulty prior to the collision. Yamaha acknowledges that they manufactured and sold motorcycles with faulty TPSs. The collision which led to the motorcycle being totaled did not damage the TPS. I am not asking Yamaha to repair or replace anything damaged in the collision. All I ask is that they replace the faulty part that they openly admit to selling and regularly replace free of charge. The employee on the phone argued that due the motorcycle being destroyed Yamaha would not touch the motorcycle. I explained to him that the motorcycle was not destroyed , that it was repaired and is currently titled and registered. The employee insisted that as far as Yamaha is concerned the motorcycle does not exist. I informed him that it does exist and that I ride it daily. I asked to speak to someone else and the employee related that I could not speak to anyone else. I have owned 8 Yamaha products over the years. (2 R6, 2 FZ1, 2 YZ250, Blaster, FJR) Every time I look to purchase any kind of motorcycle I look at Yamahas. I have recently considered purchasing a Raider or a Stratoliner Deluxe. This makes me not want to purchase another Yamaha motorcycle, part, fluid or service ever again. Perhaps this is why the Harley owners say you have to buy American.

..... Perhaps this is why the Harley owners say you have to buy American.
You had me until your last sentence. You were tugging at my heart strings and I forgave you for you not getting a straight bike to begin with. But, then you said something entirely stupid.

Lighten up Francis! :p Take a chill pill and trying calling Cypress again with a cooler head....you *may* make it a little farther with sugar than honey.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it was totalled, then no manufacturer responsibility for it exists whatsoever. That's not a Yamaha position, that would be the position of any manufacturer of any motor vehicle.

If it's titled, then it's (probably, depending on state) a salvage title, which, while proving ownership, is not the same as a "real" title.

If you bought it knowing it was a repaired total, then you accept the responsibility of anything it may come up needing. If you purchased it not knowing it was a repaired total, then you may have reason to bring action against the seller.

The thing is, Yamaha has no control over the rebuild process, and therefore is relieved by law of any responsibility for the bike's continued operation. If it was totaled, then it was destroyed and remanufactured. That's how it's seen by the law: it's not the same bike it was before the accident, and it's not Yamaha's bike any more.

I don't think you have a leg to stand on, but it's not Yamaha being the bad guy here, either.

If it was totalled, then no manufacturer responsibility for it exists whatsoever. That's not a Yamaha position, that would be the position of any manufacturer of any motor vehicle.

If it's titled, then it's (probably, depending on state) a salvage title, which, while proving ownership, is not the same as a "real" title.

If you bought it knowing it was a repaired total, then you accept the responsibility of anything it may come up needing. If you purchased it not knowing it was a repaired total, then you may have reason to bring action against the seller.

The thing is, Yamaha has no control over the rebuild process, and therefore is relieved by law of any responsibility for the bike's continued operation. If it was totaled, then it was destroyed and remanufactured. That's how it's seen by the law: it's not the same bike it was before the accident, and it's not Yamaha's bike any more.
That is 100% correct, wfooshee is absolutely right on this process!

Ok, so maybe the Harley comment was a little over the top. I would never buy a Harley. I was was completely calm and collected while talking to the guy on the phone. As I stated, I understand being totaled would effect the warranty. If it was pulling to the left or had an oil leaking or exhaust leak I would not expect Yamaha to cover that. Because that would be collision related damage. The TPS is entirely different. I can see how they might not be required by law to conduct the recall. But the part was faulty prior to the collision. They should replace their faulty part because its he right thing to do. Not because the law requires I. Im sure they would be more than willing to work on my nonexistent motorcycle if I was paying them top dollar at one of their dealers. Im sure they would be more than happy to sell me over priced Yamaha accessories to put on my nonexistent motorcycle.

Be happy you don't have certain models of BMW motorcycles. You'd be fighting battles like this constantly on a new bike with a clear title. Arg....

Can you not see the potential law suites in the making if they warranty worked on your bike?

I don't expect ANY manufacture of any moving vehicle would give you a different answer (including Harley).

Ok, so maybe the Harley comment was a little over the top. I would never buy a Harley. I was was completely calm and collected while talking to the guy on the phone. As I stated, I understand being totaled would effect the warranty. If it was pulling to the left or had an oil leaking or exhaust leak I would not expect Yamaha to cover that. Because that would be collision related damage. The TPS is entirely different. I can see how they might not be required by law to conduct the recall. But the part was faulty prior to the collision. They should replace their faulty part because its he right thing to do. Not because the law requires I. Im sure they would be more than willing to work on my nonexistent motorcycle if I was paying them top dollar at one of their dealers. Im sure they would be more than happy to sell me over priced Yamaha accessories to put on my nonexistent motorcycle.
Brother you should be happy it's about a $150 part, suck it up and fix it yourself.

You probably got a deal on a salvage bike anyway. You should be happy if that is the only problem you've got with the bike.

If you had a TICKER on your hands then you'd have something to cry about. If you don't know what that is it's Excessive wear on the exhaust valve guides that Yamaha fixed on everyone of there bikes in warranty or out,about a $3000 repair.All I'm saying to you is it's not a ridiculuos amount of money to replace a TPS.

Maybe you can work out a compromise and request the part be sold to you at cost. You're certainly not going to get labor under warranty. One of the tough parts about buying salvaged vehicles, but you got a sweet deal on the front-end.

I've never bothered with the TPS recall on my '04...it doesn't seem worth the trouble and I'll be damned if

some random Yammy service department will touch my bike

almost 150k miles and I'm sure I won't ever

there's only 1 independent shop 90mi away that will ever work on my Isabella

don't think ma Yammy will just send me the TPS part if I show them my letter

if so, I'd send it to you

That situation really blows. It sucks once the bike is totaled there isn’t a system in place to let them know it has been put back together and back on the road. Without that system, for all they know that bike could be sitting in a big pile someplace and you pulled the VIN off it. Plus there are a 1000+ other things on the corporate end they would have to keeping track of on a salvage which would be a complete headache. I can understand why they won’t help you.

Allow me to reiterate, I understand the warranty issue. My point is only that since the TPS was considered faulty riot to the collision and is a part that would not have been effected in a collision, the TPS should be covered.

Also, let's say I was to take my motorcycle, yes the one with the salvaged title, to the Yamaha dealership. Would they take my money and install a new TPS on my nonexistent motorcycle? Now let's say, for arguments sake, thatvthe brand new TPS they just installed were faulty. Would they be precluded from removing and replacing that TPS based up upon the fact that my motorcycle has a salvaged title? Is my motorcycle forever a bastard child of the Yamaha family, forever excommunicated in shame? By the same token they could refuse to replace the TPS if I did something crazy like put a car tire on the rear wheel and use the vehicle in a manner other than its intended design. Or they could just as easily refuse to replace the TPS for a second owner based upon the fact that by purchasing a used motorcycle one accepts that the vehicle may have mechanical issues. And as far as the Harley comment goes, I realize I would not be better off with a Harlely.

They should replace their faulty part because its he right thing to do.
Not if it's on a bike that has been totalled. Status of the part prior to the wreck doesn't matter. The bike's been totalled, they have no responsibility for it.

Look at it this way: If they supplied the part and installed it, and some other issue arose later and the bike shut down while you were leaned in a turn at an intersection, causing you to dump it and slide under the front end of a semi with locked-up brakes, do you seriously think Yamaha and the dealer would have no exposure from that??!?!??!! Wouldn't matter if the failure had nothing to do with the TPS. The bike they worked on when they shouldn't have failed critically, causing you serious injury or worse.

Im sure they would be more than willing to work on my nonexistent motorcycle if I was paying them top dollar at one of their dealers.
Maybe not. They'll be happy to sell you parts, but I wouldn't be surprised if they actually didn't want anything to do with servicing a salvage-title machine, basically for the reason I just listed.

Instead of arguing with them over the phone, see if you can find an attorney to take the case for you. OTOH, I don't know how good the attorney would be if he was cheaper than just buying the part!

Shazaam! Learn something new everyday! Wfooshee is completely correct, no manufacturer warranties salvage vehicles. The are many examples of denied warranty claims from many mfgs on the Internet.

It sucks once the bike is totaled there isn’t a system in place to let them know it has been put back together and back on the road.
There is a system in place. That's part of my point. Once a vehicle is totaled by the insurance company you can't just smack some bondo on it and throw it back on the road. There are lots of hoops to jump through to get it retitled and registered. Not all crashed vehicles can be retitled and reregisteted. My motorcycle os not currently a totaled motorcycle. It is a repaired motorcycle with a salvaged title and a factory defective TPS.

don't think ma Yammy will just send me the TPS part if I show them my letter

if so, I'd send it to you
Patriot, I appreciate the offer. I love the retro stripe on your bike btw. Looks great. I just joined the Patriot Guard online yesterday.

Is my motorcycle forever a bastard child of the Yamaha family, forever excommunicated in shame?
In a sense remove the "in shame", and you got it. Can you find a dealership to work on the bike? That's a good question. I bet many would turn you away for any work if they check the VIN status.

salvaged title
Pay attention: I'll type slowly. Those two words are why it's not Yamaha's problem, responsibility, or situation in any way, shape, or form.

and a factory defective TPS.
So buy one and install it. You assumed the risk for condition when you purchased the salvaged bike.

I'm not repeating this mantra because I think you're wrong, don't deserve better, wouldn't it be nice, etc. I'm repeating it because it's the gospel truth.

Maybe you expected a more sympathetic position from the collective than you're seeing. Don't mistake that for us not caring about the situation. To a man, we've all said that it really bites that you can't get help from them on this, but also to a man, we've said, "Gee, it's too bad you bought a salvage bike. Maybe the deal you got will be worth it in the long run."

Buy the part and install it, or if you're not mechanically inclined, get an independant shop to do it. Or if the bike's running OK, leave it be and ride. The part wasn't universally bad, it had a higher-than-normal incidence of the failure. Maybe yours is fine. So decide if you want to replace it and do so or not. Then go out and get all the other needed bits that didn't come with the bike, like sliders, GPS, intercomm for your passenger, heated grips, taller windscreen, top case, and get out and ride. It's a great bike, and Yamaha is not the bad guy here, treating you badly by hiding behind some obscure law. They're behaving exactly as they should, and exactly as all of us here seem to expect them to behave.

And post up some pics, or it didn't happen! :D

There is a system in place.
Maybe you should get your time machine out and go back and unbuy the bike or get a letter from Yamaha to cover it. OR chalk it up to a an experience that the whole world doesn't quite revolve around how you think salvage bikes should work.....and suck up the $125 for a replacement part if you think that will fix things. ;)