so that's what thats like

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eric- glad you're okay. Gets my pulse up reading about it, but close calls need to be posted. Cautionary tale and all.

WTF! All you old farts meed to stretch your legs on a ride??? Geeezzzz! LOL!
Yeah, and I bet you don't stretch your legs during a 700 mile ride.

Rookie!

EDIT: BTW no hiway pegs for me. But I do stretch my legs since I don't just ride to the beer store every other Thursday. I stretched my legs on my XS1100 as a 20 yo crossing the country...

...so get off my lawn.

Last edited by a moderator:
After my MCL pegs caused my case cover on the right to spring a leak, I took them off. My problem was, I wasn't just scraping the highway pegs, I was scraping the MOUNT. After a while, I started doing it on purpose, just because I could.

I took them off, and haven't really missed them. I can stretch without them and standing up is easy. I'm betting I could scrape the shit out of Canyon Cages.

Scraping canyon cages. For that I might ride to Albuquerque.
smile.png
(Watch this! Hold my beer!)

After my MCL pegs caused my case cover on the right to spring a leak, I took them off. My problem was, I wasn't just scraping the highway pegs, I was scraping the MOUNT. After a while, I started doing it on purpose, just because I could.
I took them off, and haven't really missed them. I can stretch without them and standing up is easy. I'm betting I could scrape the shit out of Canyon Cages.
I had MCL pegs on my '13 at first. One mountain trip was all I needed before removing and selling them. I was scraping the mounts also and not really pushing the bike that hard on the first trip. Went with canyon cages with the pegs mounted high. I have not been able to scrape them yet.
smile.png

After my MCL pegs caused my case cover on the right to spring a leak, I took them off. My problem was, I wasn't just scraping the highway pegs, I was scraping the MOUNT. After a while, I started doing it on purpose, just because I could.I took them off, and haven't really missed them. I can stretch without them and standing up is easy. I'm betting I could scrape the shit out of Canyon Cages.
I had MCL pegs on my '13 at first. One mountain trip was all I needed before removing and selling them. I was scraping the mounts also and not really pushing the bike that hard on the first trip. Went with canyon cages with the pegs mounted high. I have not been able to scrape them yet. :)
That's good to know. I know when they first came out, people were touching them down. I know they made some mods, but didn't know how well they worked. To hear you also ground the MCL mount but don't touch the CCs down is good to know.

I had MCL pegs on my '13 at first. One mountain trip was all I needed before removing and selling them. I was scraping the mounts also and not really pushing the bike that hard on the first trip. Went with canyon cages with the pegs mounted high. I have not been able to scrape them yet.
smile.png
That's good to know. I know when they first came out, people were touching them down. I know they made some mods, but didn't know how well they worked. To hear you also ground the MCL mount but don't touch the CCs down is good to know.
Same here, and I have not been able to scrape them. But I have aftermarket suspension, so the bike doesn't react the same as it did when stock. Plus I don't push hard enough to that it would touch on the street. I'm sure if I did a track day, I would scrape it then.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's subjective. Not highway, but lowering brackets on mine. I figured they'd scrape and I'd take them right off and have satisfied my curiousity. But a fair amount of 2 up and solo riding and zero scraping so far.

...so I think his crash was on him.
In a single vehicle crash, barring weird road conditions, etc., the crash is *always* on him.

And yes, don't ever use anything but what keeps you fully engaged in the ride for twisties. Highway pegs are for occasional-use leg comfort. "Complacent" is the right word. Glad you didn't die.

I got my first FJR in summer of '06 - snagged a 2006 on which someone had to forfeit their deposit. I spotted it at the dealer as they were rolling it back out on the showroom. I walked over, said "mine", then made the deal, trading in my F4i (for which I was there picking up some parts.) Now I'm back in another '06.

I remember within a year or so of the Gen-2 coming out, there was a whole rash of everyone crashing their FJRs left and right. Seems two things were really an issue then - and might still be...? 1) People forget that physics will bite you; a 660# sport bike is still a full 1/3 heavier than a "real" sport bike, and 2) stuff drags when you lean it over too far, and added stuff usually drags easier, especially when you lean it over at way-extra-legal speeds on the road. Crowned roads, imperfect roads, complacency, etc., only exacerbate those issues.

Let's all be careful out there and as summer is getting into full bloom, let's remember the FJR is a porky, physics-bound thing to toss around. :)

I attached a lean angle sensor which feeds a stepper motor on each highway peg. When the lean angle exceeds the set point, a signal is sent to the stepper motors to raise the highway pegs automatically. Easy Peasy.