So who's into a S.E. Ohio day trip?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey...does anyone have video? It would be nice to have some nice SE Ohio video after this trip. :yahoo:
I have a GoPro Motion 5 that I've never used 'cause I've been too lazy to figger out how to mount the thing on the bike. I'll bring it, though.

Also, lots of photographs as well...we need a good ride report after this one. Something to help the winter go by faster. :clapping:
Remember that I call the missus the Pillion Paparazzi. She'll take plenty of pictures.

If there is still room I would really like to join the group. Have yet to meet any of the fine folks on this forum and this is turning into quite a gathering. First round is on the newbie. I will check with the hotel to see if they still have room.

If there is still room I would really like to join the group. Have yet to meet any of the fine folks on this forum and this is turning into quite a gathering. First round is on the newbie. I will check with the hotel to see if they still have room.
Dave, I'm sure that there is room. Maybe you should contact Mark aka "wheatonFJR" he is riding down Friday from your neck of the woods. By the way, I have updated my original post to show the most current info. See you there :drinks:

Last edited by a moderator:
Very much looking forward to the trip! I sent Mark a PM to see if I could tag along for the first leg of the journey as we are only a few blocks apart.

Dave and Mark, What route are you guy's taking to get here? As you pass into Ohio I might be able to ride down with you in the afternoon.........Dave..................Way to many Dave's on this Forum!

Very much looking forward to the trip! I sent Mark a PM to see if I could tag along for the first leg of the journey as we are only a few blocks apart.
Hi Dave,

I am taking a "non-interstate-once I get to Merrillville, IN" route to Caldwell, OH on Friday. It will be on state roads and such and I will wind up in the Hocking Hills region on Rt 56 west of Athens...so the "fun roads" will be route 56, stop in Athens for a six of beer and maybe dinner depending on time, then heading on nice curvy rt 78 east to Caldwell. It will be about 500 miles of "back roads" so it will take most of the daylight hours. I go at +10 or +15 on these roads with an "occasional" burst for fun maybe. I don't have a gps, just tank bag maps.

If this is something you might be interested, feel free to come along with me. If it will frustrate you, take the freeway, but definitely come to SE Ohio...these roads are gonna be AWESOME!! :yahoo:

I will be taking the freeway back most likely, after having some fun in the hocking hills region west of Athens.

I am not a former sport bike rider, I am just a touring rider that likes to have fun on twisty roads...which usually means travelling aways to get there.

So...C'MON DDDDDOOOOWWWNNN! :clapping:

Note: I am roomsplitting with El Toro Joe on Friday night, but have if you wish to roomsplit on Sat night to save money, I have a non-smoking - 2 bed room available. Let me know...

Wheaton,

Sounds great. I was hoping you were planning on taking a deviated path to the destination. :clapping: The six pack is on me for the tour guide! I have a GPS mounted but it is primarily to make sure I can always find my way home. I have yet to figure out how to add way points to the unit. :unsure: I promise not to slow you down however. I booked a room already for Fri-Sat but if your OK with a room share on Sat I can cancel 1 day. Give me a call when you have time to work out the details. Thanks again.

Wheaton,
Sounds great. I was hoping you were planning on taking a deviated path to the destination. :clapping: The six pack is on me for the tour guide! I have a GPS mounted but it is primarily to make sure I can always find my way home. I have yet to figure out how to add way points to the unit. :unsure: I promise not to slow you down however. I booked a room already for Fri-Sat but if your OK with a room share on Sat I can cancel 1 day. Give me a call when you have time to work out the details. Thanks again.
Go ahead and cancel that Sat night...we can split rooms that night and save some dough. It should be nice kicking back after an awesome day in SE Ohio. :)

edit: after I make up my turn sheets for Friday and Saturday, I will give you a call and can give them to you if you want that. If you want a gps file for Saturdays ride, you will need to get that from Tom/tstaff.

Hotel arrangements updated. Now I have to figure out how to turn my top case trunk into a cooler? :D
FYI that top case is only rated for something like 10-11 lbs of crap. Also, it will shake the hell out of your beer; fun if you handing beers out to new people you meet :unsure:

but hey, after a long ride I will take it any way I can get it :yahoo:

Hotel arrangements updated. Now I have to figure out how to turn my top case trunk into a cooler? :D
FYI that top case is only rated for something like 10-11 lbs of crap. Also, it will shake the hell out of your beer; fun if you handing beers out to new people you meet :unsure:

So Kevin, do you put 11 pounds max in yer top case? :rolleyes:

I'm sure the beer will make it from Athens to Caldwell just fine Friday night. :)

BTW, Kevin, you staying overnight in Caldwell on Friday night?

Hmmm, I always thought beer got lighter the more you shook it up? :glare: If I exceed the 11 lb limit I will be sure to drink the overage.

Just made my reservation. I will be riding in early Saturday am to Caldwell. Have a room for Saturday night, but not Friday night. Look forward to meeting every one and riding some fine roads.

Just made my reservation. I will be riding in early Saturday am to Caldwell. Have a room for Saturday night, but not Friday night. Look forward to meeting every one and riding some fine roads.
Dude...your gonna ride 4 hrs to be in Caldwell and ready to ride by 8:45 a.m.? Do yourself a favor and get a room Friday night and be ready for some serious riding Saturday morning...just my 2 cents.

So Kevin, do you put 11 pounds max in yer top case? :rolleyes:

I'm sure the beer will make it from Athens to Caldwell just fine Friday night. :)

BTW, Kevin, you staying overnight in Caldwell on Friday night?
Strictly speaking, i put the keg on the back seat :rolleyes: Actually, i try to stay pretty close to it since some have found that their subframe cracked and they attributed it to overloading. Not to mention the defect in the case itself which I still have not recieved the bracket for.

Yes I aim to stay in Caldwell. Havent made any room arrangements yet. I am pondering that :unsure:

Dude...your gonna ride 4 hrs to be in Caldwell and ready to ride by 8:45 a.m.? Do yourself a favor and get a room Friday night and be ready for some serious riding Saturday morning...just my 2 cents.
That would probably be smarter, but not harder. ^_^

Actually I have a previous commitment Friday night. I'll try to be there for breakfast. :2handed:

wow...kudos to you for the effort! :clapping:

Well, I'm hoping Griff shows up. I got my cam chain tensioner changed out after EOM and I want him to hear my engine now! B)

There's a few ulterior motives as well.

1. I did part of a Poker Run From Hell with the MTF people in June. I was riding east out of Columbus on I-70 and crossed a river I believe may be the Muskigum near Zanesville ( i believe) and was sure I had entered West Virginia. East Ohio is much more hilly than I ever imagined. Most of my travel through Ohio has been in the Cleveland, Lake Erie region and I have never traveled much through southeast Ohio.

2. Roadrunner did a recent Shamrock tour through the area and it looks real pretty to me.

New place, looks pretty. Let's suit up and ride that mutha! :yahoo: