Soon to be owner seeking help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be careful, you can get in over your head pretty quickly. Big difference in horsepower and weight you didn't experience on the "starter" bike.

Congratulations !!!

You are going to have sore cheeks from grinning so much.

Do yourself a favor, look at the maintenance items in the manual. Even if the maintenance was done recently, just go ahead and look at the parts on the bike in the list to see where they are, how they come apart, and how they work. It is good to know where everything is... find the battery :) look and see how easy the plastic comes off..etc...

Great machine, you are going to love it.

Don't let the rest of the folks here scare you. Don't whack the throttle open when leaned over, if the ties are cold or wet, etc. Basically don't be an idiot. It's a heavy bike and it has a flat and predictable torque delivery.

If there's anything to be cautious of are the front brakes; they work very well for a 'touring' bike. Combined with soft forks and 600+ lbs, be conscious that you stop the bike smoothly and straight-up, i.e. not leaned over with the front bouncing back up. Once it starts to tip over it's difficult to save.

There's a reason they have a graduated license program in Europe.

You start out small and gradually get licenced to ride a larger cc bike....it saves lives.

I think it should be implicated here, way too many young guys get killed on 1000cc sport bikes here in the states.

I know that's not what the poster is buying but the FJR is 10 times the bike that 250cc bike is, and it's not just power, it's weight and how the bike handles much different from his 250cc.

That being said I wish him the best and hope he enjoys the FJR!

Well my insurance company loves me now. From a 250CC to a 1300CC means $400/ year to $200/month FML!

I found the owners manual and service manual for the 2003 FJR on line and im just about finished reading every page.

Picking up the bike next Monday and looking foward to it.

You picked the best year. I love my 2003 and you will too. These bikes are very tough so if it's been maintained you should be fine.

Make sure you keep the idle set to at least 1100 revs. Mine likes me to keep the revs above 2000 when starting out and in the friction zone. I have done the basic maintenance like engine oil/ filter, rear end fluid, spark plugs and clutch/brake fluids. Very easy to work on and easy to handle when riding.

Enjoy :)

My first streetbike was the infamous GPz 750 turbo. Ride it carefully and you will be fine. I own a 2003 myself. Mine was built and sold in 2002. IIRC FJR's were sold in Europe from 2001 on. I claim Silver was delivered to America accidentally and has cams made for cruising the autobahn. Silver currently has 113,000 miles on it and I have only had to change the cam chain tensioner. That is the other issue that the Gen 1's have by the way, a weak cam tesioner spring. New ones have a green (or blue?) dot to show they are the upgraded version.
Is there a difference in the cam profiles on the 2003 FJRs? We all know they are the fastest due to gearing and weight but never heard of them coming with different cams.

Is there a difference in the cam profiles on the 2003 FJRs? We all know they are the fastest due to gearing and weight but never heard of them coming with different cams.
The performance difference (introductory HP?) is all in the ECU.

Well my insurance company loves me now. From a 250CC to a 1300CC means $400/ year to $200/month FML!
I found the owners manual and service manual for the 2003 FJR on line and im just about finished reading every page.

They're raping you!

Do you have a lot of points?

I pay $240 a YEAR Full Coverage with a $500.00 deductible with NATIONWIDE. Clean record.

I'd shop around if I were you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember he is in Canada. Almost all things in Canada are more pricy than in the U.S. Try buying a good craft brewed beer in Canada for less than $5.00/pint. The price of beer is an international price standard!

They're raping you!

Do you have a lot of points?

I pay $240 a YEAR Full Coverage with a $500.00 deductible with NATIONWIDE. Clean record.

I'd shop around if I were you.
Canada man, Canada......
He's not getting 250 a year unless he's riding a 15 yr old 50cc scooter

Here in CA I have Allstate liability at 250,000/500,000 and 500 deductible. My yrly premium is $502. It was $401 on the 07 FJR. Normally I would not carry that high liability but my umbrella policy requires that minimum.

Dude, you need to move to Florida. State law says that if you're over 21 and you wear a helmet, you don't have to carry any insurance. I ride free, free, free. No payments, no nothin'. Not that I would recommend anyone go without insurance: to each his own. Just sayin'

Gary

darksider #44

Washington State does not require motorcycle insurance . . . at all!

Oh, wait. That might encourage more people to move here.

Um . . . Washington State requires that you pay eight million dollars a week for motorcycle insurance.

So in Florida and Washington state, who pays when a motorcyclist is at fault for a collision? Who pays if two motorcyclists run into each other?

I had 4 bikes covered for the last 2 years @ $100.00 per year & it covered all 4 bikes minimum coverage needed in New Mexico.

Bikes covered were, 04 FJR, 02 DL1000, 01 XR650R and 1979 KZ1300. Sold the KZ1300 so I may be able to buy a six pack with $$ saved.