Soon to be owner seeking help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on the FJR. I went from 225 to the FJR. Take your time and you should be ok. And your lucky you get to ride . Traded my 09 for a 2014 and still can't get out up here yet. Snow coming on Friday .

Pictures or it didn't happen!
tonguesmiley.gif

So in Florida and Washington state, who pays when a motorcyclist is at fault for a collision? Who pays if two motorcyclists run into each other?
The person at fault . . . right out of their pocket.

Which is why we have insurance. Pardon me. My wife is an insurance agent, and that's why we have insurance.

So in Florida and Washington state, who pays when a motorcyclist is at fault for a collision? Who pays if two motorcyclists run into each other?
The person at fault . . . right out of their pocket.

Which is why we have insurance. Pardon me. My wife is an insurance agent, and that's why we have insurance.
Yeah, but if the person doesn't have the cash people get shafted.

Your only recourse is to sue or have their wages garnished (if they have a job) and if they don't have the money you're screwed anyway.

Suing is the easy part, the hard part is collecting if you win, and it can take a lot of time, and your money to find a person if they are avoiding payment.

That's what's good about insurance, it can cover you if the other party doesn't have the cash, and here in California a lot of drivers are uninsured so YOUR insurance company picks up the tab (if you have "uninsured motorist coverage")

I couldn't imagine not having insurance, all it takes is ONE mistake by you and you could lose your house, get sued, ect.......

yeah, I know you can STILL get sued but at least you have some coverage to possibly settle the claim against you.

Also can you imagine how tied up the courts would be if everyone didn't have insurance? if you were suing someone who was at fault your case could take years!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the new ride. Also, interesting quotes from people and their insurance. For reference, I will put it out there that I have a clean record, $500 deductable, and pay about $500/yr for mine and get full coverage including uninsured motorist.

Picked up my 2003 FJR on Monday. Had a beautiful 3 hour ride home from the dealership. It was a good time to get to know the bike. All the advise from the group was a good help. Respect the power. WOOO the Power!!!
I have a throttle lock but it's not working right. Anyone know how to tighten a throttle lock?
Also the dreaded ticking of the valves. Yeah I'm a little upset about that. What should I do?

Finally got to see the bike today and put the sold sign on it. Sounded great, felt great, NO TICKING SOUNDS IN THE ENGINE. I totally understand the power and felt it when I shifted into 1st at a stand still. That is defiantly something to respect.
When did you start hearing the ticking??

If you bought from a dealer, you can try calling the dealer and see if they would help you in ANY way, maybe splitting the cost of repair but since it's a used bike and you're not the original owner that's gonna be tough.

You can call Yamaha and see what they say but again you not being the original owner isn't going to help.

Also the dreaded ticking of the valves. Yeah I'm a little upset about that. What should I do?
Define ticking. FJRs are not the quietest engines with respect to top end valve train noise. Search for a ticker sound bite to see what a bike with worn out valve guides sounds like. Many threads on the subject, although they'll be older.

Good luck.

--G

Picked up my 2003 FJR on Monday. Had a beautiful 3 hour ride home from the dealership. It was a good time to get to know the bike.Also the dreaded ticking of the valves. Yeah I'm a little upset about that. What should I do?
TopherGuns,

There is some valve clatter even in a good FJR engine. The "ticking" problem is different. Scrounge up a set of decent-or-better earbuds, turn down the volume, and connect them to the computer. Most computers have a good sound system, but rotten speakers which won't do the job, here. Listen to these three sound files with earbuds, and tell us if this is the sound that you hear from the bike.

https://fjrforum.com/misc/ticksound/

Dealers probably won't want to deal with this problem, but Yamaha corporate may have some help for you, there. Do not tell anybody that you may have a plan, if they won't help. Act like you expect serious help from them. Worst case, a complete used engine, a used head, or a totaled-out FJR may fix your bike for much less than the full cost of repairing a "ticker" in an engine shop. A totaled bike would come with lots of extra parts (to be sold on eBay) which may make the donor bike into a low-cost solution.

Best wishes,

Infrared

Picked up my 2003 FJR on Monday. Had a beautiful 3 hour ride home from the dealership. It was a good time to get to know the bike.Also the dreaded ticking of the valves. Yeah I'm a little upset about that. What should I do?
TopherGuns,

There is some valve clatter even in a good FJR engine. The "ticking" problem is different. Scrounge up a set of decent-or-better earbuds, turn down the volume, and connect them to the computer. Most computers have a good sound system, but rotten speakers which won't do the job, here. Listen to these three sound files with earbuds, and tell us if this is the sound that you hear from the bike.

https://fjrforum.com/misc/ticksound/

Dealers probably won't want to deal with this problem, but Yamaha corporate may have some help for you, there. Do not tell anybody that you may have a plan, if they won't help. Act like you expect serious help from them. Worst case, a complete used engine, a used head, or a totaled-out FJR may fix your bike for much less than the full cost of repairing a "ticker" in an engine shop. A totaled bike would come with lots of extra parts (to be sold on eBay) which may make the donor bike into a low-cost solution.

Best wishes,

Infrared
Yea, that is the Tick i hear.

How much damage will it cause to just keep going as is?

Yea, that is the Tick i hear.

How much damage will it cause to just keep going as is?
In the big picture, no damage except continuing valve guide wear. People have ridden their ticker with no problems even after oil started to show up at the exhaust pipe tips. I'm sure the catalytic converter and O2 sensor don't like that though. If you don't see oil at the pipe tips you probably have 10s of thousands of miles kilometers before you elect to have it fixed.

The only reason you would like to talk to a dealer about it right now is due to the age of the bike. Even at 11 years there may be some recourse but it will become less likely at 15 years.

Tickers will not suddenly die, you can ride them with confidence that they will run fine and always get you 'there and back again'.

Before you have a good cry strong drink over the possibility you have a ticker, consider trying this to confirm/deny the diagnosis.

Sorry to hear that it may be a ticker but in the end, it is just a nuisance and not an issue.