Spare Key

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lunch truck larry

Reaction score
Had a moment the other day , thought I lost my key ...AHHH....Probably looked like some guy having a seizure ,frantically searching all my pockets ,,Again and Again ,,,and possibly anywhere else I might have put that stupid key ..AHHH ,,,, What To DO ?? ...Who to call ..AHHH ,,,TOTAL PANIC !!! ..I normally just carry the ignition key ...After what seemed to be forever,,, I did find my key ..AND AT THAT MOMENT,,, I decided to "hide a key " ..Why don"t I have a spare key hidden somewhere on my bike ?... I have a hidden key to get into my house , I have one to get into my truck ,So why not on the bike ? ...So I was looking around old "Frank JR " for a good hiding spot for a spare key .. Do any of you guy's ,,Hide a key ??? ..Would you share your spot ?? I'll show you mine,, if you show me your's... Ok ..Ok .. My idea was to use one of the license plate bolts .Mine has the little baby reflector buttons that are threaded and It has a wing nut on the back . Just drilled a hole through the key and put it behind the plate ,like a washer .A little, Lock Tight on the threads , A little gorilla tape on the back of the plate and ,,," WALLA" Perfect hiding place !...Easy retrieval, ..(wing nut, no tools) ... Really an Inconspicuous spot ...And I will always check and see if my license plate is tight .

I only do anything on extended/overnight trips, but the previous owner had some kind of key consolidation thing, which you can put several keys onto and flip out the one you need - like a swiss army knife. I don't use it, but the stubby keys are compact, so I carry one in my wallet when I'm going to be a long way from home.

Sometimes I think that some of us, that have been here a while, forget that a "forum", by its nature, is to build a community and to do that you encourage dialogue, not ONLY the dispersing of information. The quickest way to END a group is to only have NEW info on it. If the post count gets so low, and the info so thin, no one will be coming by to check all the time. If that's the case, you could just put the info in a list and when someone new comes along refer them to the list. Like the old joke about the guys in prison who had heard ALL the jokes, so instead of telling the joke they would call out "#2" and everyone would laugh.

Perhaps if you see a topic that has been previously been hashed out posted by a new member YOU JUST DON"T READ THAT THREAD, instead of embarrassing them by pointing out that they should have done research instead of posting. If no one responds to a thread, it will die the quick death of dropping off the "list" quickly [which is what happens to most of my inane posts}. and there's always a chance that what the new guys want is to get in the conversation rather than just be informed. Just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I carry a duplicate set of any keys I need in my riding jacket. Seems to have been the best insurance against actually needing one (Murphy's Law)...

Yup, an inside jacket pocket. I never ride without a jacket, and I have two of them, so, duh, each jacket has a key. Simplest, safest, easiest way. And the key is always clean and easy to access. No clusterf*ck solutions involving tape, magnets, Locktite, "secret" containers, blah, blah, blah.......

Don't overthink this one, kids.

i had a spare laced into my boots...

i now have better boots and a spare resides in the side pocket of the tank bag with my registration and insurance card

A good place is taped to the underside of one of the cowling vent panels. Easy to get to if ever needed.

1st thing I did was create a routine- if the key is not in the ignition, it goes [fill in the blank]. Without exception, it never gets put on the seat, or in the helmet, or anyplace else. It's ALWAYS in only one of two places. Same with truck keys. People like my wife are constantly in a panic b/c they can't find keys b/c they simply haven't the self control to put them in the same place every time. Every morning she's scurrying around......

For trips I put a spare key in my seat luggage. Never used it.

I usually keep a spare key behind the liner in my helmet. Its always with me when I ride.

and then there is this;

Have you locked your keys in the car?

If your car has remote keyless entry? This may come in handy someday. Good reason to own a cell phone:

If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home. Call someone at home on their mobile phone from your cell phone.

Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end. Your car will unlock. Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be thousands of miles away, and it will still work.

Editor's Note: I didn’t believe this when I heard about it! I rang my daughter in Sydney from Perth when we went on holiday. She had the spare car key. We tried it out and it unlocked our car over a mobile phone!'

This information was recently broadcast on by Crime Stoppers . It is , however, seldom used as people just don't know about it.

Please pass this along to everyone.

This is the kind of information people don't mind receiving, so pass it on to your family and friends

Last edited by a moderator:
Always in a jacket pocket also.

Short, related story where I did the panic dance also. Several years ago on a group ride we're getting ready to leave from the motel on a rainy morning. I get geared up and put my key in the pants pocket of my Roadcrafter as I always do. Walk out to the bike, others are also getting on theirs, and I can't find the key. I know I just had it so it had to be close but no matter how many times I check all my pockets, nothing. Run back into the room, look all around and under everything and still nothing. Of course now all the others are sitting on their running bikes so it's getting worse. Finally I go back into the room and start stripping the gear off where it finally revealed itself. For those with Roadcrafters you know the pants pockets have two openings, one for the pocket and one to reach through to your jeans or whatever. I mistakenly missed the pocket and dropped the key down along my inner pants leg. And since it was raining on this day I had tucked my pants legs inside my boots so instead of the key falling through out onto the floor it found it's way into the side of my boot. Go figure. I don't know what made me think to pull my boots off and shake them out but it was a relief seeing that key fall out onto the floor.

I agree 100%. Beside what you said, there is always a reason for asking the same question again and again: technologies advance everyday. There may be a solution today that wasn't available yesterday. If we keep referring to the old posts, we stay stupid.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="philter" data-cid="1396858" data-time="1526871967"><p>

Sometimes I think that some of us, that have been here a while, forget that a "forum", by its nature, is to build a community and to do that you encourage dialogue, not ONLY the dispersing of information. The quickest way to END a group is to only have NEW info on it. If the post count gets so low, and the info so thin, no one will be coming by to check all the time. If that's the case, you could just put the info in a list and when someone new comes along refer them to the list. Like the old joke about the guys in prison who had heard ALL the jokes, so instead of telling the joke they would call out "#2" and everyone would laugh.<br />

<br />

Perhaps if you see a topic that has been previously been hashed out posted by a new member YOU JUST DON"T READ THAT THREAD, instead of embarrassing them by pointing out that they should have done research instead of posting. If no one responds to a thread, it will die the quick death of dropping off the "list" quickly [which is what happens to most of my inane posts}. and there's always a chance that what the new guys want is to get in the conversation rather than just be informed. Just my opinion. </p></blockquote>

Despite the minor irritation of answering the question again, the fact remains that " The only Dumb question is the Unasked question!"

Damn glad I read this old rehashed overdone thread again. That thing about the cell phone and the second key fob--if it works--is a GREAT thing. As soon as somebody comes home with another key I'm testing it out. Also kicking my own ass for the long evening I spent in a parking lot a few months ago that I spent looking at my key in the ignition of my truck through the window of a locked door.

By the way, although I have a spare key (with the head made smaller with a bench grinder) taped to a card I keep in my wallet, I also always make it a point to put the bike keys in the right front pocket of whatever pants I have on when I leave the bike. There are just too many damn pockets in every motorcycle riding suit to keep track of, but every one of them has a right front pants pocket. And I'm always wearing a pair of pants when I ride.

Hey, Lunch Truck Larry, thank you SO much for asking this important question. Again.

I keep a spare set for bike and house in the side air deflector fairing, easy to get to without tools, just a coin to undo the 1/4 turn bolt.