Speeding - ticket?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
funny, the cops here in San Jose who have the BMW's and the State patrol who have the ST's give an opposite reaction. it's like they're mad the bean counters didn't give em police spec FJR's so no one should be having more fun than them... :p

I'm convinced if we put em all on FJR's they'd be a lot more mellow :p

funny, the cops here in San Jose who have the BMW's and the State patrol who have the ST's give an opposite reaction. it's like they're mad the bean counters didn't give em police spec FJR's so no one should be having more fun than them... :p
I'm convinced if we put em all on FJR's they'd be a lot more mellow :p
Ha...Have you been to Arizona? Those guys are fucking angry. I donno what the deal is. I think it is the heat or something.

Just got my warning today! West of Brenham on 290, just goofing off. He was in the median, lights lit up, I pointed to myself like "Moi?" so I did a High Quality FJR Stop (if you know what I mean and I think you do). He pulled up, got out and came over, and told me I "was stopped for speed but it will only be a warning". BEFORE any other comments! Then he told me to get on the berm side of the bike so I was protected by it and his cruiser. Checked my license and we proceded to start BSing about bikes and local riding roads! Let me go with just the warning, no problem. See my other post in Off Topic about some of the other things we discussed.

I'm almost convinced that my Power Ranger Suit ('Blue 'Stitch w/BMW boots), being a greybeard, and riding a bagger helped a lot in him giving me only a warning. Plus I was off the bike with helmet off, standing quietly, almost before he came to a stop behind me.

Texan, all I can say is, you picked the right LEO to catch you speeding....I wish I get that lucky if I ever exceed the speed limit. :unsure: :rolleyes:

The police officer got out of his car as the kid who was stopped for speeding rolled down his window.

'I've been waiting for you all day,' the officer said.

The kid replied, 'Yeah, well I got here as fast as I could.'

Last edited by a moderator:
I did something like that when I was riding a 1998 GL1500 Wing.
Cop: Did you know I clocked you going 84 in an 80.

Me: No sir. Was it just after I crested the hill?

Cop: Yes.

Me: I'm sorry. I had the electronic cruise control set and it must have spead up some before it figured out it was going down hill.

Cop: A Wing? Okay, but be more careful next time.

Me: Yes sir!
4 miles an hour ? picky-picky

In California, I have found that riding with the bags on is a great way to avoid unnecessary attention. I've been out with some buddies on sport bikes when the CHP's have pulled us over, but waved me away. They must figure that the FJR is more for touring and less for raising a little hell. My friends were pissed that I didn't get a ticket like them. :yahoo: Like Odot says, ride smart.
+ 1 on the bags....

Glad yours turned out well.

Cali CHP on his Beemer, me on my Beemer, and this punk kid pulls me over and has nothing but attitude. I've been riding longer then he's been alive. I didn't even have time to use the charm or anything. He was loaded to ticket me as soon as he hopped off his bike. Maybe his folks had just told him when he was born, they really wanted a boy. I was polite, answered his questions, etc. The guy was a total jerk.

No speeding, he pulled me over for riding on the yellow line of the car pool lane. The ticket and he claims, I entered or exited over the double yellow. I never left the car pool lane I did go on the yellow for a second but, never went completely over it. The traffic school teacher said I should have fought it, he thought it was bogus. I thought it better to just do the school.

Last year had a Mississippi state cop pull me off, after looking the bike over he said goodbye Goldwing, hello FJR. We had a nice chat beside the road. You meet the nicest people on motorcycles.

If your ridin your FJR and get pulled over for speeding, it does not help any. At least here in Arkansas.

That ain't no s@&% here in Missouri/Arkansas. I got my first C&I (careless and imprudent) which was explained to me as a bunch of tickets combined into one. We were riding two up, road wide open on both sides and doing nothing stupid (except for riding fast) Mr. Johnny law was pissed! Gave me the ticket for 98 in a 65. A cheesy ticket lawyer and about 580 dollars later my record is still clean. I told my wife I really wanted to tell him the bike is just over idle at 100.

I'm going to stop by the police office and try to meet the officer who owns the FJR and let me off with a warning. I owe him one and I have a full shop and already have experience fully removing the whole FJR fairing.

But I wonder if you are on a Saturday morning ride with an off-duty cop on an FJR, how he will handle the 40mph speed limits on the Texas back road twisties that proliferate our lovely hill country. 40mph on an FJR? nahhhh.

I'm going to stop by the police office and try to meet the officer who owns the FJR and let me off with a warning. I owe him one and I have a full shop and already have experience fully removing the whole FJR fairing.
But I wonder if you are on a Saturday morning ride with an off-duty cop on an FJR, how he will handle the 40mph speed limits on the Texas back road twisties that proliferate our lovely hill country. 40mph on an FJR? nahhhh.
I think you need a new best riding buddy. ;)
Good luck. Ride safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
What can I say...a bit of advantage of PGR is lotsa LEO and Blue Knights are members and I interact with them alot as well as active duty detail LEO's and some just volunteers working a funeral or PGR event.

I've had 'em see my PGR flag that permanently flys from the top of my trunk mounted to a small rack and let me go with a please be careful admonishment. I've pushed the limit on the way to a mission in the morning splitting lanes or jumping into the flow lane from the grind to a hault lane and the state copper is at the choke point ready to point out a law breaker and pull them over. I twice in 3 years caught that situation and was let off with a stern warning when they saw my PGR vest and I explained I was on the way to a military funeral and the widow was meeting me across the river in 20 minutes. I sheepishly apologize and explain my predictament. I guess I'm fortunate, but do ride conservative and never owned a crotch rocket per se, so never actually got a ticket while on a bike <knock on head...wood>

Tomorrow heading for Cajun Country down south of me for a friends Dad's military funeral - both are Navy Vets. About a 1 hour ride and, yep, big sacrifice as we'll stop at a local eatery for a great late lunch, I'm sure. Ever been to Houma, LA - church actually in Bayou Blue (Linda Ronstadt's been there, I hear).

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

Latest posts