Spiegler brake lines

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerseyEd

Reaction score
This is for members that have been asking which brake lines to buy. I purchased all brake and clutch lines. When I was installing the the last line I noticed that I received 5 bolts not 7. Called the company today and was told they don't always supply all the bolts????????? I was told to look for the old bolts and use them, they can't mail me 2 bolts. I am sure if I had a bigger problem I would have received the same answer. Had a house showing and swept up all the old parts. Back to Yamaha for special order bolts. [ the place was a mess at the same time I did shocks,tires, drive, repacking,center stand,etc.]

Sort of off topic, but related. I just installed the HEI brake lines on my non-ABS. I got the two line system for the front and a single for the back. All three of the lines were longer than stock. I got the right number of bolts and more copper washers than I needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jersey, do you need a few 'factory' banjo bolts? I solved my bolt problem today and have a few extra factory bolts that can be mailed. You will still need new crush washers but the bolts are fine.

Jersey, do you need a few 'factory' banjo bolts? I solved my bolt problem today and have a few extra factory bolts that can be mailed. You will still need new crush washers but the bolts are fine.
Thanks Rideoc , I found two bolts and they did sent me enough washers. On my lines they tell you use aluminum washers only. I though copper was the normal washer. Safe riding.

When I found my shipment was short a few bolts, I called Gary McCoy, and he shipped me the ones I was short almost the same day.

That's ok....when I was sent my Galfers....the were too short....& that was after I had told them I had 11/4" risers.....go figure... :huh: ...

I may be coming to this late but you are supposed to reuse the bolts in the ABS unit because they can't be seen without the panel removed anyway. So they're not included in the kit. They should have supplied all the bolts for the calipers, master cylinders and two-way splitter.

+1 On the excellent service from Gary and the guys at Unitversity Motors.

Cheers,

Jim

I may be coming to this late but you are supposed to reuse the bolts in the ABS unit because they can't be seen without the panel removed anyway. So they're not included in the kit. They should have supplied all the bolts for the calipers, master cylinders and two-way splitter.
+1 On the excellent service from Gary and the guys at Unitversity Motors.

Cheers,

Jim
Exactly, so for mine, which also included the clutch line (2), I needed 8, and got like 4 or 5 (the 2 for the splitter and I guess the reservoirs/rear brake). Gary shipped me the difference, and they look great installed.

I want to get brake lines for my '05FJR too and I have MCL risers on the bars. Who do I call and What do I need to order? :unsure:

I want to get brake lines for my '05FJR too and I have MCL risers on the bars. Who do I call and What do I need to order? :unsure:
I got the HEI lines from Vancosports. See the vendor section for their web site. They are 'on sale' for $100 and include two front lines and one back. They do not accomodate ABS, so you need to look elsewhere if you have ABS. The cool thing about the HEI kit is that you get to pick the color of the fittings on the end of the lines and the color of the plastic protective coating. I just went with boring clear plastic and black ends, but you can be more creative.

The only problem I had, if you can call it a problem, is that the lines are pretty long and I had to figure a way to route them so they wouldn't get caught up on anything while turning or during suspension travel.

Last edited by a moderator:
As others mentioned above, you need to call Gary McCoy at University Motors. You can't go wrong with him. Generally, most popular brake lines are Speigler (used on a big group buy in the past) or Galfer. I got the Speiglers on the group guy and you can also choose colors of lines, fittings, and bolts independently on those also.