Split: Off-topic about tires and Gen 3 stuff

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redfish Hunter

Gone Fishing
Reaction score
We do not want to get into a thread drift here so I am trying to ease it back to the width discussion...

I cannot honestly address the differences in ride quality or harshness between the PR4GT and the PR3 or even the PR2. We have run a couple sets each of PR2s and PR3s on Dad's '07 but never a set of PR4s. Dad does not like the look of the PR4 on my '15, not so much from a cosmetic standpoint as he does not trust the profile. He likes the flat, wide profile of his PR3 and feels he has more tire surface on the road at extreme lean angles. I cannot say for sure, but I also like the wider, flatter look of the PR3.

I have only had the OEM Bridgestones, which I hated and then the PR4GTs on my '15 ES. I have not run the PR3 on it yet. I cannot compare ride quality between the two bikes because of the suspension differences. Dad's bike now has a Gen3 rear shock which vastly improved... everything. His '07 now rides much smoother than my '15 ES. I can say that riding a '14 A and my '15 ES back to back, the A models ride smoother.

So, I cannot answer the question. I do know that Michelin advertises the PR4GT as having a stiffer/stronger carcass which should translate to a stiffer ride. I know RJAMT has a set of PR4s, not the GT version on his ES and he may have some insight. His tires have the exact same narrow/round look as my GT version. I hate that narrow look.

My next set will be PR4GT front with PR3 rear. I may even go to the 190 width. As I get older, I like 'em a little wider across the rear...

I can say that riding a '14 A and my '15 ES back to back, the A models ride smoother.
That's an interesting observation. Not one that I share from riding the different '14 Demo FJRs. I found the ES to always be smoother.
Same here when I compare my '14ES to my '13A....and the difference seems more noticeable then it did a year ago....but the most importance part of suspension is tires and I have never compared them when they had the same tires.

I can say that riding a '14 A and my '15 ES back to back, the A models ride smoother.
That's an interesting observation. Not one that I share from riding the different '14 Demo FJRs. I found the ES to always be smoother.
Same here when I compare my '14ES to my '13A....and the difference seems more noticeable then it did a year ago....but the most importance part of suspension is tires and I have never compared them when they had the same tires.
Again, trying not to thread drift here...

Is it possible that my perception of "smoothness" is a result of tires rather than suspension? I know that my '15 ES had a different spec BT-023 than hppants' '14A. Even the tread patterns were different.

When I hppants and I swapped bikes I followed him for about 3 miles on a stretch of I-10 I had just ridden and there was no doubt his bike rode smoother/softer. That could have been tires or tire pressure.

Pop and I both run about 41 psi in the rear but he keeps his front around 39 psi. Am I sensitive enough to feel a 2 psi difference? I am thinking it has to do with the tire carcass and shape. I rode Pop's bike just a couple nights ago and was chuckling over how much softer it rides than my bike. Certainly better than with its original Gen2 shock.

When I first tried the Michelin PR2 on my ST1300 they rode so much softer than the Bridgestone BT-021 and BT-020 they replaced that I kept doubting my air pressure gauge.

One of my HD riding friends zeroed in on the width difference the first time he saw mine and Dad's FJRs together. He asked me why we were running two different size tires on the same bike. To repeat, Pop does not like the way my PR4GT or the OEM Bridgestone looks leaned over. He says his wider PR3 puts more surface on the road. The fact that he can see that tells all of you just how slowly I ride.

We do not want to get into a thread drift here

Again, trying not to thread drift here...

FYI, if you utter those words or think about having to qualify....it's probably off-topic. And it doesn't justify going off-topic. Please stick to the topic please and start other threads (or better yet...find a thread if it's being talked about elsewhere) if you want to talk about something not on topic. Thanks.
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry boss. Sometimes it is difficult to answer a direct question or respond to a comment when it leads off... elsewhere. Short of sending a PM, I am unsure how to re-direct or swap to a different thread.

I was trying to keep it on topic...
sadsmiley.gif

Short of sending a PM,
That's also an excellent option--especially if it's more conversational between two people.

I am unsure how to re-direct or swap to a different thread.
Exactly the same way you did here, by starting a new thread--assuming your diversion hasn't been covered before. Copy and paste the text you'd like to respond to and put it in a quote with the easy-to-use icon on the toolbar. Easy peacy and keeps threat titles on topic.

Noting you're definitely not a problem child on the subject of NEPRT proliferation.....however PR2, 3, and 4GT's have been covered many times and s probably an existing thread to use instead.

Is it possible that my perception of "smoothness" is a result of tires rather than suspension? I know that my '15 ES had a different spec BT-023 than hppants' '14A. Even the tread patterns were different.
I certainly think it could be given your comments about the PR4. I change my own tires so I get to get up close and personal with the sidewalls of every tire I mount and the difference in sidewall rigidity between tires is remarkable. The PR2 sidewalls are so soft that sometimes the flex makes it harder to mount the tire whereas some other tires have such hard sidewalls that it is difficult to push the tire into the wheel well while mounting. I think the sidewalls on the PR3s are similar to the PR2s but I have never mounted a PR4.

Currently, I have a PR2 on my ES and a BT023 on my '13A, definitely not an apples to apples comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
...Is it possible that my perception of "smoothness" is a result of tires rather than suspension? I know that my '15 ES had a different spec BT-023 than hppants' '14A. Even the tread patterns were different. ...
In my opinion, the ES suspension (in the UK that's AE suspension also fitted to my AS that would be an AE in the USA) is significantly harsher than the standard suspension on either of my previous Gen 2 bikes. I've mentioned it a few times, also that I've alleviated this harshness by running my tyre pressures at the (now Yamaha recommended) 36psi, which definitely feels less harsh than if I use the general concensus opinion of 39-41.
So my experience shows both suspension and tyre pressure, and by deduction tyre wall stiffness, have an effect on harshness (or smoothness if you prefer).

IF you ride that slowly, then why is available lean angle even a concern?

IF you ride that slowly, then why is available lean angle even a concern?
It is not a concern. I actually had a set of training wheels installed to keep me from falling over. So far I have never touched one to the pavement. I get passed by Harleys and Prius drivers all the time. The Prius guys are really rude too. It is not my fault I cannot go fast though. My bike only has 5 gears. Everyone knows you cannot go very fast with only 5 gears.

When I hppants and I swapped bikes I followed him for about 3 miles on a stretch of I-10 I had just ridden and there was no doubt his bike rode smoother/softer. That could have been tires or tire pressure.
Do you know what the suspension settings on the "A" were? If all settings are backed all the way out (softest, least damping), it can be quite smooth/soft. But lack of damping will certainly show up when cornering, especially if the road is somewhat bumpy.

Dan