Spot Mounting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mehaffydr

Reaction score
I have the SPOT satellite tracking device and am having trouble deciding on mounting location. This is where it is for now but I am not sure if I am totally satisfied with this location. It is attached with velcro but I was not sure if that was secure enough with the vibrations in the trunk so I added the Zip ties for security. I used it this past weekend and it seams to be working fine no interference from the zip ties.

spot003.jpg

spot001.jpg

I went RAM ball and added to the clutter of my handlebar area. It's currently on the right side where I drilled and tapped the boss for what would be a right-hand mirror. However, I'm reorganizing the two holes and will be mounting SPOT and a camera mount to the left side and V1 to the right side.

I went RAM ball and added to the clutter of my handlebar area. It's currently on the right side where I drilled and tapped the boss for what would be a right-hand mirror. However, I'm reorganizing the two holes and will be mounting SPOT and a camera mount to the left side and V1 to the right side.
I posted my pic where's your's ????

I posted my pic where's your's ????
Haven't photographed specifically my current configuration because it's temporary. However, a picture with most of it show is here. Plate is a piece of aluminum I cut with Dual Lock between it and the unit.

New one.....not finished yet as I'm awaiting on $900 worth of RAM parts including a SPOT cradle and camera mount.

Last edited by a moderator:
wouldn't you want it in your pocket or clipped to belt ?????

If you crash & get thrown from bike,,,, banged up to much to make it back to where bike ends up, you cant send for help ( if you have the subscription).

wouldn't you want it in your pocket or clipped to belt ?????If you crash & get thrown from bike,,,, banged up to much to make it back to where bike ends up, you cant send for help ( if you have the subscription).
I think your question is a bit off-topic as the author is talking about where and how to mount to the bike not if we should or not. If my post doesn't answer I suggest a new thread...or this one for that conversation.

Even the base subscription include the Help and 911 features.

The inconvenience of stowing the unit in a pocket and suboptimal angle for transmitting a position far exceed any benefit of keeping it on my person for me. Also, the transmitting success for regular positions via "SPOTcasting" is far more important a feature to me than the Help or 911 elements.

Finally, if you have a yard sale event belt placement would likely strip it from my body as well, and there's no guarantee one would be able to press the 911 button even if it is in your pocket. If one is focusing on the 911 part of the service they should probably look at an EPIRB or PLB that is strapped to one's body more like an avalanche beacon.

I didn't know Ram had a cradle for it I will be checking that out right away.

As far as the unit I dont think I would get good signal if it is on my belt and in the event of a crash I thought mabey the trunk might be easy to spot even if seperated from bike.

wouldn't you want it in your pocket or clipped to belt ?????If you crash & get thrown from bike,,,, banged up to much to make it back to where bike ends up, you cant send for help ( if you have the subscription).

This is why I intend on installing a trunk monkey when I get a SPOT system. In the event of an accident, the monkey will deploy and press the emergency button for me.

If I'm using the tracking its because I'll be doing a rally or some other sort of LD ride. If I'm stopped for more than 15-20 minutes, friends and family will know something is up.

It could be attached somehow to the tankbag but I dont want it inside because the tracking feture will not work. It needs a clear view of the sky so it cant be where you lean over it either.

Thanks
Negative. I threw my SPOT in the tank bag to test it out and it worked just fine.
Partial negative to the negative.

Although SPOT may have worked.....it may not work for everybody and may not work as consistently. With a perfect view they calculate 99% transmission success. Obstructions will reduce the percentage some value to be sure.

And as the manual states:

SPOT relies upon GPS and low earth orbit satellites to fix yourlocation and send your messages. To work, the SPOT logo (which is directly above the

transmitter) needs to have an unobstructed view of the sky, either outdoors or in a glassenclosed

area such as in a vehicle.

I tried mounting mine a few ways, here's a review. Keep in mind nearly all my riding is done amidst the Georgia pines, and the Smokey Mtns.

1) Belt (actually, jacket pocket, but..) -- this was quite possibly the worst mounting location imaginable. First, the thing is big, and heavier than you want in a pocket for hours on end. Second, the success rate for the SPOTcast was about 10%. That makes it useless.

2) I had a spare RAM plate (the circular ones with the holes), and managed to figure out that the screw holes for the battery cover lined up well with the RAM plate holes. So, a couple of spare screws and I had a custom ( ;) )RAM mount. I first tried it on my Givi mount with a RAM u-bolt style mount. That positioned the unit off to the side of the big Givi (V46 at the time). On the slab, SPOTcast success rate was about 75-80%. In the mountains, more like 50%.

3) Then, I moved it up to the bars (same mount as #2), using the left side mirror hole with a threaded RAM ball. This worked well. But (always a but), a big orange box in my line of sight was kind of distracting. This got abandoned after I decided to mount a camera there. The other side has my V1, plus the Zumo in the middle -- all out of practical real estate (for me). SPOTcast success rate was excellent, 90% slab, maybe 80/85 in the mtns.

4) I then decided that it needed to be facing up, secure and not really take up any space. So, it diverges here....

4T) Touring: I carry a PakSafe tailbag when on overnight trips, tours. A little velcro, and the SPOT lives in the top compartment of the Paksafe. Same success rates as #3.

4S) Short runs: If I don't have the tailbag, the SPOT lives in my topcase. This is a new mounting idea on the 08, since I put an E52 on it. Plenty of room, the SPOT lives velcroed to the flat spot on the bottom. So far, testing has shown only a slight dip in success rates, 85% on the slab and 75% mountains.

The RAM idea I had was good, but just don't need it anymore. It's a very secure way to mount the thing, however, using the screws. No need for zipties, dual lock, etc.

Mine is hard to see in this picture, but I took the belt clip off and put a piece of Velcro on the back. I put another piece on the brake reservoir and put it on there. I used 2 small bungee cords to hold it on. The Velcro makes it a little padded.

IMGP2954.jpg

Mine is hard to see in this picture, but I took the belt clip off and put a piece of Velcro on the back. I put another piece on the brake reservoir and put it on there. I used 2 small bungee cords to hold it on. The Velcro makes it a little padded.
IMGP2954.jpg
+ 1 Covered the back of the SPOT unit with velcro tape allowing for the battery compartment to still be accessed and likewise on the brake reservoir. Then throw one small bungee chord to fully secure it yet allow for quick release and removal when necessary. It's plenty secure and quick off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Velcrow it to the inside lid of your givi. It should work through the plasic. The internal antenna is already incased by the plastic caseing of the unit itself. Give it a shot, it will probably work. I throw my garman/rhino in a hard case on the back of my quad. I ride all day and it manages to get a signal and create tracks. I would think the SPOT should work as well.

Velcrow it to the inside lid of your givi. It should work through the plasic. The internal antenna is already incased by the plastic caseing of the unit itself. Give it a shot, it will probably work. I throw my garman/rhino in a hard case on the back of my quad. I ride all day and it manages to get a signal and create tracks. I would think the SPOT should work as well.
I am going to try that this weekend and I will let you guys know how it works.

I am going to try that this weekend and I will let you guys know how it works.

Well...... any results yet?