Spring PNW Tech Meet #14 - May 2nd

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like this pic...does the driveway justice!

DSCN7520_zpscsvrsu5r.jpg

--G

Thanks Bryan and Marissa. I enjoyed meeting you and all the rest of the names I recognized from the forum, picked up a bunch of tips and tricks and had a great time. Inspired me to take care of a couple of things that afternoon when I got home. Rear brake was soft and I found air bubbles when I bled the system. SpeedBleeder valves make that an easy task. Got started on mounting the Fenda Extender that has been sitting on my bench for several months and decided to go for a ride instead. I look forward to the Fall meet and may get up the nerve to tackle the driveway from the lower parking area. Maybe not. That is an "interesting" driveway and I was happy that Dave offered his prior knowledge to take mine up to the road. Noticed on the ride into work this morning that I have a pronounced mis-fire. Tank is about 1/4 full so there may be some contamination of some sort. I think a run out to the Grange in Issaquah for a couple of tanks of ethanol free fuel might help.

Brian and Marissa,

Wow, glad you have finished school. Congrats! Great get together. Love seeing al the veterans and the new faces with those beautiful RED FJRs.

Panman and N2OSX- thanks! The low carb thing is a pain in the ass, but I must be allergic to carbs because they make me swell up like a tick. BTW, the used leather is care of Marcus and is tight enough were it acts like to hold in my gut.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for having another tech day! This was my first one and had a great time. The ride in from Carnation was fun. A big thanks to Dave escapefjrtist for all the help and showing me around all the plastic on the bike! I really did learn a lot and am way more comfortable doing things on the scoot. I enjoyed talking with a lot of you and looking at the cool things that have been done on the bikes. My next attempt will be to get to the starter relay solenoid and get that replaced soon. From my understanding - I will need to take off almost all of the right side plastic to gain access to it. Don't be surprised if I post pictures of this for help to get all things off and then put back on in the correct order without extra stuff left over! Lol I was really surprised and happy that a lot of guys just showed up to visit and lend a hand to guys like me that don't know much about the bikes. It really does mean a lot and I'm grateful for such a cool group of riders.

Scott

Hi Y'all,

Since moving to Montana I have missed the tech meets and haven't been on the forum. I miss it, and all of you. I heard a rumor that some of you may be planning a ride in this direction and I sure do hope it is true. If my schedule coincides with yours I'd love to join up and tag along for a few miles, or maybe provide a shady spot for a rest or some such. There are many miles of open Montana highways in my immediate hereabouts.

Of a more technical nature my bike (2007 Beautiful Black Cherry FJR) is experiencing an electrical difficulty. Sometimes and recurring more often of late the two turn signals and the high beam indicator lights on the instrument panel light remain lit after start up and sometimes I have to turn off and restart several times before it corrects itself. Interestingly, while the problem is occurring, the other electricals are non-functioning: (horn, windshield, etc.) Anybody got an idea? Grounding maybe?

Hope I get to see y'all soon...

Dustin

Dzane - check your ground spiders. Sounds like you may have a spider bite in the making.

I did a bit of research on the spider bite and remembered that I had the original recall work done up at Skagit Powersports in Burlington. It seems like FJR owners are divided on whether to rip in and do the work ourselves or take it back to the dealer where the recall was done. I wish I had been able to make it to the recent Tech Day. My shop manual is in storage 140 miles from here so do you have some tips in addition to "check your ground spiders" you could offer?
smile.png
Really sorry I missed Tech Day. The one I attended back in 2011 was awesome. Thanks!

I did a bit of research on the spider bite and remembered that I had the original recall work done up at Skagit Powersports in Burlington. It seems like FJR owners are divided on whether to rip in and do the work ourselves or take it back to the dealer where the recall was done. I wish I had been able to make it to the recent Tech Day. My shop manual is in storage 140 miles from here so do you have some tips in addition to "check your ground spiders" you could offer?
smile.png
Really sorry I missed Tech Day. The one I attended back in 2011 was awesome. Thanks!
Search the forum here. There are a few threads that have pictures of where the issues are likely to be. Look for Brodie's ground harness, IIRC it shows the spots where they are likely to be.

Is there a spring Tech Day each year? If so, Is there a date I should block out for 2016?
There is, but it has not been set yet. It most likely will be end of April or early May. We usually wait to see how bad the mountains get snow before I set the date so the is a better chance those traveling long distance to attend. I'll post up the date end or Feb or early March once we see how the winter plays out.

As the FNG around here, I doubt I'll need anything by then, but I'd love to meet other FJR owners and learn a bit about the bike. :)

I'm really interested in 'eye of god' lighting installs that won't cost 1/6 of the acquisition price.