Spring Preload Adjusting Bolts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shanny

Reaction score
I had my front shocks overhauled and now the spring adjusting bolts will not match up with each other. I have the left shock showing 2.5 lines and the right side showing 4 lines up. When I try to take the right side down to 2.5 to equal the left it stops after 1.5 rotations in. Before I had the shocks reworked I was able to adjust each side equally.

Has anyone had an issue like this after having your shocks reworked?

No. They F’ed something up in the one that won’t screw down. You can either take it bac’ and tell them to fix it, or take it apart yourself and see what they did. There should be nothing preventing you from cranking down the preload adjuster all the way.

As others have stated, you should have the ability to set them the same and have full range available. Last year I had my forks and seals serviced (Kawasaki) and when they were done the left rebound damping adjuster would only move 8 clicks (full range was 15). They reworked the fork and discovered a rod had fallen out of place during reassembly. Of course this is not a Yamaha or the preload, but just a reference that sometimes things go wrong. In my instance, I have a lot of faith in this dealers service department and their lead mechanic. Mistakes are made sometime by the best, the disappointment on my case, is however the same as yours, this should have been caught by the mechanic before you picked up the bike.