Springtime at Last

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

escapefjrtist

Searching for Dry Roads
Reaction score
On those rare days when the sun is (kinda) shining :blink: and moisture has stopped falling from the clouds, it's time to enjoy the weather and FJR friends. Panman, Hudson, Taff and I put together a last minute ride on the back roads to Anacortes and the north end of Whidbey.

Since we started out early, the skies hadn't completely cleared and had the typical morning haze.

Only major stop was Mt Erie, and the fantastic views afforded from the top. Pan, Taff and Hudson taking a look around the be-as-it-may parking situation...

DSCN1281.jpg

For the life of me, I don't know why Hudson is smiling so big and Panman has a grin...me thinks something is going on between those two. :unsure:

DSCN1282.jpg

Looking NE-ish from the overlook at the northern Cascades.

DSCN1285.jpg

View looking SE. Lots of very nice homes with great views...

DSCN1289.jpg

View looking SW. Although the hazy skies aren't cooperating, you can just make out the northern end of the Olympic Range.

DSCN1292.jpg

Finally more of a southern view overlooking the Strait. You can just make out several lakes hidden in the forest and more of the Olympics.

DSCN1290.jpg

The crew... Pan, Escape, Taff and Hudson.

DSCN1288.jpg

Excellent day with no performance awards and dry roads. What more can one ask for... :yahoo:

--G

Looks like a great ride. Sorry I missed it. I was up at 6 AM on the GasGas pre-riding the poker run to make sure all the arrows were still up. Watched a great sunrise as I was riding. What a nice day!

Nice pics, but next time, CALL ME.
I spent part of the day riding with two friends, but OMG they're such clueless newbies......and we never got out of traffic or rode more than 40mph.
Too funny, last minute ride 2WT, but aye aye...we'll put out the call next time.

We didn't hit any traffic until the trip south back into Seattle metro and weren't under 40 except for the detour up Mt. Erie. Lots of fun and a great bunch to ride with.

--G

Oh Man, thanks for the visual of memory lane!

In the summer of 1972 I lived for 90 days in an igloo made with a screen shield of 6 mil Visqueen, stapled to a kind of covered wagon structure that I created from a few rough hewn adler saplings, above a raised plywood deck. This habitat was about 20 miles east of Stanwood off of 316 NW! We had a view of Puget sound and Camano Island. It was grand!

I was one of the original students of Pilchuck glass school see; https://www.pilchuck.com/!

The views from what we used to call "inspiration ridge" were awesome, just like the ones you just sent!

Kewel, kewel, kewel! I'm a fan of the Pacific North Wet, especially when it's starting to dry out for the summer!

cheers,

I saw the weather as being possibly questionable to the north, so I headed south instead. Found some really cool backroads I had never been on between Morton & Centralia. I should start carrying a camera. I just never know I'm going on a longer ride till I decide, hmmm I think I'm going this way..... I didn't have any maps or GPS on Sunday. :ermm:

To bad we didn't go Monday as it was as beautiful as it gets here!

I took a sick day as I had to go up visit the building department office for my building project. I learned that I had to change something on my topo survey and need to go up to Mt Vernon to see my surveyor guy. As I was on the bike I had to take the longest way I could think of course!

When I left Everett I went out thru Lowell and took the river Rd to Snohomish, then the old Snohomish/Monroe Hiway out to Monroe. I feel bad that I didn't bring the camera as the Cascades against the blue sky were beautiful, I guess that is why its called Sky Valley! I then went from Monroe out to Lake Rossinger then to Granit Falls, the Burn Rd to Arlington and up 9 to Mt Vernon.

EscapeArtist, your camera makes me look fat. Said the guy who ate a monster breakfast with Taff and a monster lunch at L&L.

Geez, I gotta lose some weight.

And yes, Panman and I have a bromance...

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a nice ride. I've never been to that area, but will have to put it on my list.

I was busy driving my TRUCK home from Tonasket WA with a ladder strapped on. I've seen guys carry surfboards on motorcycles back in my Florida days, but a 24 foot extension ladder might be a stretch for my FJR? :eek: I did see a couple blue FJR's on highway 97, which really made me want to go ride! But no time for play. :(

Nice pics, but next time, CALL ME.
I spent part of the day riding with two friends, but OMG they're such clueless newbies......and we never got out of traffic or rode more than 40mph.
Ahh, Tiger, Taff would have kept you at 30 mph! :rolleyes: :unsure:

Unless he was wearing his pretty bright yellow gloves!!!!

Panman, I think I might have saw you , on a black ( may have been blue I was looking into the sun) bike and had a top box? That is one of the loops I do a lot except I hit Carpenter Rd ( get rid of the friggin' gravel already) by the Lake .

Last edited by a moderator:
So. Is it safe now (weather-wise) to venture north and begin dominating the damn Dam Tour competition?Skeered of rain, but itching to go.
Never safe in the NW, just bring some Depends OM and you'll be fine!

HappyPuppy, I ride a 07 Black Cherry (The Dark Red one). I lived out there for fifteen years up by the Blue Boy, the Doc was still training horse's there now it's a dam gay golf course!