Starcom 1 Advance or Autocom

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John_Dumke

Reaction score
I am looking forward to picking up my new / used 06 later this month. I have a relatively long ride home with the wife as passenger and am considering a communications system. I read about every post there is and have narrowed it down to the Starcom 1 Advance or the Autocom Systems.

The hard part is never having used a comm system, it is hard to say how I will use it. Obviously I will use it to communicate with my passenger, and very likely using my Ipod (as I am a huge music fan - 27,000+ songs on 2 Terabytes), but not sure about whether I would use a cell phone, or a radar detector, although my driving record says I should. The Kenwood radio looks like a good idea, if I want to add bike to bike capability.

Based upon what I have read so far: The Starcom looks like the value play at $279 with a 10% discount, and speakers included for both driver and passenger. (yes I know that good in ear phones are a must for music, but the wife doesn't like in ear buds and might just use the intercom.

How about the Autocom. Does the mid range Active Plus $299, come with most of the crap that I need? Or do I have to spend another $200 on speakers and microphones and maybe even more on an Ipod hook up. Is the Active Plus good enough or do I need the Pro version. Can I get this cheaper?

Thanks for any input, because after having read all of the threads I think the Starcom is the direction I should go in. But not having used the technology before leaves me feeling very uncertain and moderately confused.

I am looking forward to picking up my new / used 06 later this month. I have a relatively long ride home with the wife as passenger and am considering a communications system. I read about every post there is and have narrowed it down to the Starcom 1 Advance or the Autocom Systems.
The hard part is never having used a comm system, it is hard to say how I will use it. Obviously I will use it to communicate with my passenger, and very likely using my Ipod (as I am a huge music fan - 27,000+ songs on 2 Terabytes), but not sure about whether I would use a cell phone, or a radar detector, although my driving record says I should. The Kenwood radio looks like a good idea, if I want to add bike to bike capability.

Based upon what I have read so far: The Starcom looks like the value play at $279 with a 10% discount, and speakers included for both driver and passenger. (yes I know that good in ear phones are a must for music, but the wife doesn't like in ear buds and might just use the intercom.

How about the Autocom. Does the mid range Active Plus $299, come with most of the crap that I need? Or do I have to spend another $200 on speakers and microphones and maybe even more on an Ipod hook up. Is the Active Plus good enough or do I need the Pro version. Can I get this cheaper?

Thanks for any input, because after having read all of the threads I think the Starcom is the direction I should go in. But not having used the technology before leaves me feeling very uncertain and moderately confused.
Should you have any questions about the Starcom1, be sure and call and I will be happy to answer any lingering questions you may have about the product. Units are in stock in California and will ship the same day as your order. Shipping to Socal is two days via UPS Ground.

Should you have any questions about the Starcom1, be sure and call and I will be happy to answer any lingering questions you may have about the product. Units are in stock in California and will ship the same day as your order. Shipping to Socal is two days via UPS Ground.

John Dumke, call Jeff at Sport Bike Effects for Starcom Q&A. He will answer your questions, and a forum discount applies.

Jeff at Sport Bike Effects is a friend and a great guy to do business with.

You can also call Keith in Oklahoma to find out more about Autocom. He knows his stuff and won't steer you wrong. Another good guy to deal with. 918 446-2245

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an Autocomm and have been very happy with it. No issues whatsoever, works as advertised. Installation into helmet was easy, too. Everything was included except the GMRS radio cable, which I bought after.

That being said, I have also bought stuff from Jeff and had great service. Also, I have heard the Starcomm is quite a bit cheaper. So, either way you can't lose.

-BD

Is one louder than the other? somewhere I read, "brand X isn't loud enough when you're wearing earplugs and are at highway speed". Or something like that

Is one louder than the other? somewhere I read, "brand X isn't loud enough when you're wearing earplugs and are at highway speed". Or something like that
I know the starcom volume can be turned up until it hurts.

I assume the Autocom does too.

I don't think these 2 brands fit your quote.

But,.... setup has a great deal to do with it.

A good sealing full-face has much less roar than a flip-up helmet, not to mention an open face.

Also wind turbulance do to the relationship between your head and the windsheild is a factor.

Another factor is mic placement. If it is too far away, it will be less effective.

Mine is between my chin and lower lip, almost touching me. It works well.

I've heard my passenger sniffle at 130 with the music on.

I have a Starcom that I use for driver to passenger communications, radar detector, and Sirius radio right now and have had very good luck with it. The one thing I did do was swap out the tinny sounding speakers for a pair of stripped down koss headphone speakers and that made a world of difference. The Sirius Xact radio that I use doesnt have a volume control so I put a small inline volume control just as it leaves the radio. Its kind of a pain in the ass to get the Starcom adjusted correctly initially to eliminate wind noise but once it is set, you don't have to deal with it anymore. I think that goes for both the Starcom and the Autocom. I have mine set up so that we talk over the music as opposed to the music briefly dropping out. The one area you may end up spending added cash on is cabling (isolation cable etc...) but, as others have already said, Jeff at SBE can hold your hand as you journey down the scary road of motorcycle communications....

Well after about 8 hours or reading stuff on the forum and every post I could find on the web. I have put in my order with Jeff at Sportbikeeffects for a Starcom 1 Advance.

I went with the Starcom because after everything I have read, it sounds like the unit was the best value for the money, and I don't have a problem spending money for quality. The Baehr, while it may be the best, is just outrageously expensive. $700 - $1,000. The Autocom, appears to have a slightly larger installed base, possibly greater support. But for every person that didn't like the Starcom and bought an Autocom, there was another person that got rid of their Autocom and bought a Starcom. In reading posts over the last 2-3 years, it was also difficult to tell if newer units solved previous grips. (ie - older Autocoms didn't have separate volume controls, rider/pillion - no longer an issue?).

The only reason I saw to get the more expensive Autocom was a better "perceived" quality, maybe because the connectors were more robust. I also was unsure of my final cost on the Autocom. Would it be $299 + two sets of speakers? totaling around $450, when the Starcom is 279 - forum discount. That is what is sounded like to me, but maybe I am mistaken.

All in all, the uncertain question of better connectors or quality was not enough to get me to pay twice (?) as much for the Autocom. Especially when electronics change so rapidly, and in about 3-5 years, even if this stuff is still working, a new product (bluetooth, etc), will blow doors on the current stuff.

The biggest difference seems is how both units handled pilot to passenger comm. Starcom -full dulex, Autocom - VOX (or PTT). Which is better? Sounds like it depends on how good your setup is and mostly personal preference.

Nothing against the Autocom or Baehr, lots of very happy customers. In fact that was the problem, most customers are happy, so finding which one was "better" yielded completely inconclusive results. Other than Chatterbox is not good.

It just sounded like the Starcom would meet my needs for less money, especially since I am not really sure how I will be using this new farkle, because I am new to communications world.

+1 starcom/Jeff combo, just add one thing during setup.... Patience! A quality install and proer setup and adjust you wil be more than happy, also don't be afraid to experiment/setup We tried some funky stuff with my wife's boom mic due to open face helmet

config. contrary to instructions that worked suprisingly well.. any quest. Jeff will try to help!!

Bump. Jeff let us know what you think of the whole set-up after you use it a few times. I got the AutoCom but I was THIS close to choosing the Starcom instead (I was swayed by a buddy happy with his AutoCom). It can take a couple of trips to find and work all the bugs out.

Bump. Jeff let us know what you think of the whole set-up after you use it a few times. I got the AutoCom but I was THIS close to choosing the Starcom instead (I was swayed by a buddy happy with his AutoCom). It can take a couple of trips to find and work all the bugs out.
Let me chime in here, as a Starcom dealer. I doubt that you will be unhappy with the Autocom as most are, and as most Starcom users are. I will say this. The Starcom is smaller and easier to hide, has more features and is less money if you compare apples to apples. Sorry, I just had to get that out. Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Well after about 8 hours or reading stuff on the forum and every post I could find on the web. I have put in my order with Jeff at Sportbikeeffects for a Starcom 1 Advance.
I went with the Starcom because after everything I have read, it sounds like the unit was the best value for the money, and I don't have a problem spending money for quality. The Baehr, while it may be the best, is just outrageously expensive. $700 - $1,000. The Autocom, appears to have a slightly larger installed base, possibly greater support. But for every person that didn't like the Starcom and bought an Autocom, there was another person that got rid of their Autocom and bought a Starcom. In reading posts over the last 2-3 years, it was also difficult to tell if newer units solved previous grips. (ie - older Autocoms didn't have separate volume controls, rider/pillion - no longer an issue?).

The only reason I saw to get the more expensive Autocom was a better "perceived" quality, maybe because the connectors were more robust. I also was unsure of my final cost on the Autocom. Would it be $299 + two sets of speakers? totaling around $450, when the Starcom is 279 - forum discount. That is what is sounded like to me, but maybe I am mistaken.

All in all, the uncertain question of better connectors or quality was not enough to get me to pay twice (?) as much for the Autocom. Especially when electronics change so rapidly, and in about 3-5 years, even if this stuff is still working, a new product (bluetooth, etc), will blow doors on the current stuff.

The biggest difference seems is how both units handled pilot to passenger comm. Starcom -full dulex, Autocom - VOX (or PTT). Which is better? Sounds like it depends on how good your setup is and mostly personal preference.

Nothing against the Autocom or Baehr, lots of very happy customers. In fact that was the problem, most customers are happy, so finding which one was "better" yielded completely inconclusive results. Other than Chatterbox is not good.

It just sounded like the Starcom would meet my needs for less money, especially since I am not really sure how I will be using this new farkle, because I am new to communications world.
I have an older Autocom Pro-M1 and have spent 5 years trying to get it working well. Boy do I have patience.... :angry:

Have given up on the helmet speakers, which I could never get positioned properly to hear much without pain after 1 hour. Maybe it's because I have big ears (Why are you called Noddy? Because I have Big Ears :yahoo: ) and can't fit ears and speakers into a helmet.

Finally got earplug mounted units, but they came with yet more wires and connectors, so now my helmet has more copper than fibreglass in it....

I have decided to persevere with it as I have now spent a small fortune on all of it. But did come very close to flogging it all on fleabay and buying a Starcom with BT headset....

Totally satisfied with my Autocom Super Pro AVI. Worked perfect from moment of install and has exceeded my expectations. Can have normal voice conversation with pillion at any speed and the VOX works perfectly. Run my Ipod through it and the muting of the Ipod when you speak also works as advertised. I am now trying to find a reasonably priced way to hook up my Cingular 3125 (made by HTC) to the system without going to Bluetooth which is about a $250 add on.

I don't know anything about the autocom, but my Starcom has served me well for 32k miles with no problems. Their customer service is great too. I needed a cable quickly from them because I screwed one up...they sent it to me for free! Not sure why, but they said it was their treat. Maybe they read my favorable posts ;)

FYI - The Autocom system is a full duplex system and will continue to work this way with whatever speed you feel comfortable riding.

"I am now trying to find a reasonably priced way to hook up my Cingular 3125 (made by HTC) to the system without going to Bluetooth which is about a $250 add on."

They've got a new bluetooth unit coming out end of April that is one piece and at approximately $125. They also have a Motorola adapter that I'm trying to get them to let me try with conditions that it be returnable if it doesn't work. Last effort will be to take the HTC supplied hands free and get an electronics shop to match the wiring.