Stay the f@)#(* away from me...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groo

The Endless Font of Useless Knowledge...
Reaction score
As I posted on the other thread, I'm a Va Tech grad who knew at least 1 of the people involved in the campus shooting earlier this week (Dr. Librescu).

As you might have heard, there was a shooting at JSC today. Unless my information is bad, the male victim that got shot/killed is a very close riding buddy of mine. He's the NASA boss of the Jacobs employee who is being identified as the killer.

This is turning out to be a really, really, really crappy week. If I was anyone else, I'd avoid me like the plague right now.

:(

Last edited by a moderator:
My condolences Groo. That sucks to have 2 people you know die in the same week.

If you wanna hide out in Chicago, there aren't many houses legally safer than ours. 1 cop, 2 big dogs that don't like uninvited guests and 4-5 guns! I'm a pretty good shot too, got some medals to prove it!

Dude, that sucks!...

Sorry to hear folks you know or are friends with are expiring. As TWN said, hang in there. This too shall pass.

I too will guard your back Groo.. any time, any where, any odds. To the end.

Keep in mind how fragile life is, celebrate the risks you take (when you left WFO5 on your ss1k/BBG ride, I, honestly, thought you were phookin crazy) but then again events like this show how quickly innocent, good, folks are taken.

Keep the faith Groo..

Yup, a lousy week. The daughter of one of the ladys at work was killed at VT and while none of us knew him, Dr. Librescu was a performer for us. Sad days.

Dave Beverly was a really great guy. He organized a ton of motorcycle activities at the Johnson Space Center, had an email distribution list of numerous folks to distribute notices for motorcycle charitable events, bikes for sale, upcoming rides and the like. It also was a way to ask for suggestions among the other knowledgeable riders in the area regarding where to get repairs done, all the NEPRT type discussions (tires, oil, etc.). He had organized a monthly breakfast for the "Spaceriders" list at a local diner, which was usually well attended. Here's a picture we took a few years ago (I still had the Virago) out by the Saturn rocket near the entrance to JSC). In the picture, Dave (who set up the photo shoot), is wearing a black shirt, and is near the back of the group, he has a white/grey beard, and is just to the right (looking at the picture) of a guy in a red shirt.

NASAJSCbikers.jpg

The man had been reducing the number of bikes he had recently. Both he and his wife are/were riders. I think his most recent purchase was one of the BMW sportbikes (very yellow, and looked awesome). I know he had a track day accident on his Ducati not too long ago. If I'm not mistaken he had sold an ST4 a while back, and possibly a honda sportbike, while keeping a Goldwing (his wife's) and an ST1300 (which he bought about the same time I got my FJR). We had many a discussion about that decision, which came down to not wanting to wait on the PDP...

I was supposed to eat dinner with him Thursday night, along with a small group of friends/riders at a dinner we held every month. I missed it because I was on my way back from a design review at Goddard.

What an absolutely abysmal way to end your life. Dave probably would have retired soon, which would have given the Beverly's more time to ride.

God speed Dave... hopefully heaven's roads are a treat to ride. And running wide isn't such a big deal when you've got wings...

Last edited by a moderator:
Groo,

you are welcome up in the Northwest any time. All week I have been thinking how a guy can survive the nazi death camps, live a full and productive life and be gunned down by a little piss ant with a chip on his shoulder. Just aint right. Time for some good mojo your way. jr

So sorry, like you say a crap and needless way to die.

If he and his wife were like me and my missis, and both as you say enjoyed a passion for bikes together, her world will have been destroyed. She will need support for some time.

Take care.