Staying cool while riding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about a vest that circulates ice water from a cooler mounted on the bike? It'll keep your beer cold too.
I met a guy last yr that had just that and he built most of it. He bought a vest off ebay with the tubes in it - can't seem to find an example right now but will edit and put it in if I do - but the rest he built. He had a BMW LT and had one saddlebag dedicated to it with a cooler in there, and "I think" windshield wiper pump with electrical on/off on the handlebars, plastic tubing, and QD's to hook it up. He said it worked great and that the vest was the biggest expense ~$100 iirc. It also used up ice/icewater when hot so not sure how good it would be for LD.

Intriguing idea and being the type that likes to build shit, er, stuff myself I was thinking - what about using one of those 12V coolers that heat/cool - you know the type? You could even just pull the element out of one of those (unless someone here knows where to shop for those things) and put it in something better shaped for your specific purpose. That way you could still load with ice but it would take longer to melt down

Just another crazy idea that I think about sometimes.........

edit: Here it is - and yes someone has got a motorcycle application for $438 and shirt only for $139

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Cool-Water-Shirt-BCW-Cool-Shirt-/170693322313?pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item27be1d6649&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Cooling-System-Cool-Water-Shirt-Cool-Shirt-/170653544495?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27bbbe702f&vxp=mtr

Great idea but don't know if it's practical enough......
Here ya go.....

https://www.veskimo.com/
I'd dig it if they made a set for my shins. Good chance they will spontaneously combust some hot summer day...

I've got the Bilt vest, and I used it for the first time last week. The temps were in the low 90's, and the vest kept me cool for right at 3 hours. I rode for a few hours before I put the vest on, so I could see just what kind of difference it made. It definitely made made the trip more pleasant.

Ya need to check out the write up i did on cooling vests last year. I spent mucho hours researching this stuff so you wouldn't have to. My Veskimo with it's 9 qt cooler is the bomb. It's simple. Fill it with ice and ride. Takes like 30 seconds. However, that's not including the time it takes to deal with the crowds. Seems like everybody wants to know how well it works: it draws a lot of attention. Just follow the links in the write up.

On page two, I posted a site that documents how to make your own cool vest and remote pump. At the bottom of the page, I describe the one I finally chose (the Veskimo).

Hope that helps.

CLICKY HERE

Gary

Last edited by a moderator:
How about a vest that circulates ice water from a cooler mounted on the bike? It'll keep your beer cold too.
Intriguing idea and being the type that likes to build stuff myself I was thinking - what about using one of those 12V coolers that heat/cool - you know the type?
They don't generate nearly enough BTU's of cooling to get the job done. Sorry about that.Contact Kurt Jeckel at Veskimo. He's a genius when it comes to heating and cooling coefficients and what it takes do make something practical. He's done a great deal of research on all of this, and knows quite a bit about every major cooling vest configuration out there. I asked him the same question, about 12v. cooler/heater units. He was very helpful with all my questions for the write up I did last year in the forum on cooling vests.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Humidity over 60%, temps approaching 90, and I have 4 wheels on the ground and cool around surrounding me.

Riding 2 wheels is supposed to be fun.

This may sound like a stupid question, but if you soak the vest and you are wearing a jacket (even with vents) where is the H2O going to go? In you jacket? your shirt? I'd like something to use from commuting home when it's 100+, but I don't want to be soaked myself.

I've been using a Hyperkewl the last few months also. If anyone's gets slimy, I believe it simply means it's been over-saturated. My vest soaks up water and is ready for a light wringing way quicker than my neck wrap thing. Does anyone know if the long sleeved version actually has the hydration crystals in the arms? Yesterday it was low 90's; used the vest, neck wrap, vented jacket and then I stuffed 4 freezer packs into the inside and outside pockets. Kinda heavy, but my short ride was pretty comfy.