Stereo bluetooth for riding?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good updates.

Question: I'm also wanting to be able to commo with other riders such as my team leader and the sweep in group situations.

Any options here with the senna?

Good updates.Question: I'm also wanting to be able to commo with other riders such as my team leader and the sweep in group situations.

As I understand it. As long as they have units compatible with yours, you can communicate with them as long as they are in range.

I'm sure a lot more info will be coming.

Al
cold.gif

Good updates.Question: I'm also wanting to be able to commo with other riders such as my team leader and the sweep in group situations.

You don't define the number of "riders" so just be aware that the Sena is BT and BT is not a party line. For multiple riders you need to add a radio, so the headset is BT with the radio and the other riders have the same frequency or channel available on another radio. Look into the Sena SR10.

Last edited by a moderator:

You don't define the number of "riders" so just be aware that the Sena is BT and BT is not a party line. For multiple riders you need to add a radio, so the headset is BT with the radio and the other riders have the same frequency or channel available on another radio. Look into the Sena SR10.
Confirmed. I believe the limit is 4 people "paired" with Sena units. To do more would require addition of a third-party device like a proper radio.

I just bought my setup and haven't used it other than testing in the living room between helmets. I'm VERY impressed with the units so far, found the Bluetooth integration to be very simple and effective, and can imagine it helping me manage various audio sources in this year's IBR.....all without wires attached to my helmet.

yeah, I had one of those BT dongles connected to my earbuds. Sounded good, just a pain to operate with gloves on. The simplicity of the Sena jog dial is what I like best about it.
Yeah - the buttons look pretty small.

I have a Zumo 550, so i assume I could still control the volume from there for mp3 playback. I like the idea of an FM radio so you can get the local news, music etc.

I just got rid of my XM radio receiver for the ZUMO as it wasn;t getting used much anymore and it didn't work with bluetooth (the zumo only sends out the navigation and mp3 audio via BT).
I run a zumo 665 with a scala g4 and it works great

Good updates. Question: I'm also wanting to be able to commo with other riders such as my team leader and the sweep in group situations.

If the others aren't using Sena'a but all have cell phones paired with their communication system(s), use the Sena paired with your phone to call them. Just program their numbers into your phone at the start of the ride and use the voice dial feature on the Sena. Not as quick as direct connect, but it works.

I just picked up my Sena SMH-10 units yesterday and have been working on installing them into our helmets. No riding time with them yet just the usual playing around in the house. I'm hugely impressed so far. Easy to install and set up, so far. Seeem like this will be the ticket for my wife and I. Paired up easily with our cell phones and Ipod touch units. Good sound quality and volume so far as i can tell. Literature indicates you can have up to 4 units intercam each other and range of almost 1000 yards. Easy to work even with gloves on. Big jog button controller on the side of the unit should make it a breeze even when riding. Can't wait for the weather to get warmer so we can reallly try them out in the outside world.

Another satisfied Sena customer. Received the SMH10 dual pack for Christmas and other than installing / experimenting in the living room, haven't had a chance to use.

Finally got a ride in yesterday. Easily paired with the iPhone, music sound quality is excellent and the phone feature works flawless. I was especially impressed with the phone sound quality and lack of wind noise. I'm currently wearing a MultiTec...not the quietest helmet out there, and there was zero wind noise from the mic. Bluetooth feature works better than my cage units. Haven't had the opportunity to check out the intercom feature yet, but reports are good. As mentioned above, controls are easy to use and intuitive, no issues using with winter gloves.

Need to study the manual a little more so there's less page flipping...I'm ready for summer!

--G

Anyone play with the firmware update yet? I installed it but my helmet has been sitting in my office for awhile now... it's about 21 degrees out so going for a ride to check it out hasn't happened yet.

I have read this whole post and have not read anything about the U-Clear system. My Dad just bought a UClear and now i'm thinking about buying one. As I understand each brand will ONLY communicate to the same brand i.e. Sena to Sena, or U-Clear to U-Clear, etc. Or can some communicate between different brands?

The U-Clear seems to be nice since there is no boom/wire mike. The mike is built into the speaker and picks up voice over the jaw bone. We got his installed and tried it and it seemed to work fine and sounds good. He has not been able to road test it yet.

I just received a new uClear HBC 220 system and can help answer some questions. I only have a couple days of experience with it, and am not ready for a final report yet. The system is very nice from the moment you start to unbox it. It comes with two BT tranceiver units, two sets of very heavy duty nice headphones, a number of mounting clip options and a single USB charging unit. I am using the Snow version which is identical to the Moto except for some mounting options.

Music and voice fidelity is far better than my wired Autocom due to the quality of the speakers. There is actually bass response and good range on these speakers. Noise cancelling mics are integrated at the bottom of both speakers. This system does not use a boom mic, so there is nothing mounted in front of your mouth. That is a big advantage in a full-face helmet where there is little room for a mic in front of your mouth, or in a modular where the mic is always getting bounced by lifting the helmet. The mics pick up the sound of your voice through the jaw and work well with no wind noise being transmitted. Positioning of the mics is very important, and it took me several tries and some experimentation to get it right.

Initial impressions are that the intercom range is good. I was able to get up to 1/2 mile out of the intercom function, using them at Blue Knob ski area on mountainous terrain and trees. These units have "Multi-Hop Technology", and can be joined or networked for 10 or more riders, and they will relay between the units in the group for a greatly extended range. The intercom is easily synced in seconds to as many units as you have in your group. We joined four units with no problem, but found if the lead helmet dropped out of the group, the others lost intercom until we rejoined. Once joined, you can mute the intercom function by holding the volume down button for 2-seconds. This is a critical function because there is no PTT, and the chatter will drive you nuts when other people on the intercom network are talking with others, or talking directly to you. The mic is so sensitive that you will get feedback echo of your own voice from another headset if you are talking to that person directly up close.

Once a phone is synced, music streaming is easy. two touches of the main control button starts or stops the music, and double taps of the up or down volume buttons skip or go-back. Fidelity is as good or better than any wired headset and IMO rivals in-ear headset quality.

I would like a PTT option, but other than that, you will be hearing more about uClear.. Let me know if you have questions.

Was thinking about springing for a bluetooth headset. The Sena SMH10 seems to get the most favorable reviews. I believe that I could get it to function pretty much the way I want it to but I downloaded the owners manual and read one spec that gave me some pause:

The SMH10 has an internal, non-removable, rechargeable battery. Do not attempt to
remove the battery from the device as you may damage the device. The battery
can be charged and discharged hundreds of times, but it will eventually wear
out. Recharge the battery only with SENA approved chargers designated for this
device. Use of an unapproved charger may present a risk of fire, explosion, leakage,
or other hazard.
Always try to keep the battery between 15 C and 25 C (59 F and 77 F). Extreme
temperatures reduce the capacity and lifetime of the battery. A device with a hot or
cold battery may not work temporarily. Battery performance is particularly limited
in temperatures well below freezing.

I ride outside of those temps quite often. Has anyone noticed any issues with this unit in the "extreme" temps as warned? How about weather? I read that it is only water resistant, not waterproof.

The other question mark for me is that if I am on a multiday trip that involved overnight camping rather than hoteling, I would not have a power source to recharge the headset overnight. I guess that I could recharge it during the day while using it, which means running a cord to the headset. But isn't that sort of contrary to the entire point of a bluetooth wireless headset? Alternately, I could recharge it off the bike's battery overnight. Does anyone have much experience doing that? How much does it sap the battery? I don't imagine that it would use too much power, so the bike should still start in the AM. Right?

I ride outside of those temps quite often. Has anyone noticed any issues with this unit in the "extreme" temps as warned? How about weather? I read that it is only water resistant, not waterproof.

The other question mark for me is that if I am on a multiday trip that involved overnight camping rather than hoteling, I would not have a power source to recharge the headset overnight. I guess that I could recharge it during the day while using it, which means running a cord to the headset. But isn't that sort of contrary to the entire point of a bluetooth wireless headset? Alternately, I could recharge it off the bike's battery overnight. Does anyone have much experience doing that? How much does it sap the battery? I don't imagine that it would use too much power, so the bike should still start in the AM. Right?
I have been using Sena for 2 seasons for myself and my wife. It works great in all temps, last year we spent about 2 weeks in Italy when temps reached 38 C = 100 F, had no problems whatsoever. Also got few heavy showers but everything worked great. It lasts easily a full driving day and a half with one charging, but I also forgot to charge it couple of times overnight and then had to wire to the bike while riding, not much drama either. The bass of the speakers is far too weak for my liking, so I will use the in-ear monitors in the coming season, will have to change the clamp for that purpose.

No problems with my Sena down to about 36F for 3+hours and up to 102F for also around 3+ hours. Never any problem in rain at all and I've ridden through some frog strangling downpours. I have a powerlet added onto my bike that I use to charge my iphone while riding and the Sena when I am camping. When I am camping I also occasionally throw the Sena on the charger at gas stops and that keeps it going for days and days. Constant little charges like that are probably not good for the battery but I haven't noticed any problems so far.

Thanks guys. I guess it's about time to join the bluetooth revolution.
Bout time you spent some of that moldy money. Hey, you can only sleep on so many $100 bills before the mattress gets too firm
smile.png

laugh.png
This coming from the guy that just bought the Big K16 Beemer!!

Believe me, a mattress that is too hard due to too much money being stuffed in it is NOT my problem.
wink.png

laugh.png
This coming from the guy that just bought the Big K16 Beemer!!

Believe me, a mattress that is too hard due to too much money being stuffed in it is NOT my problem.
wink.png
I hear ya, I'm just play'n w cha.

Plus my BMW dealer only has $1K of mine (so far)...

Remember, my ordered bike came in as Dk Gray and I canceled it for a Montego Blue one after going up to see it as it was un-crated. They weren't very happy w me but oh well. My order is now pending the DRL (motorad safety revision#xxx) and it's supposed to now be a late '13 or definite '14. I got my Feej so no biggie, I'm happy.

So just 10 of my $100 bills out of my mattress ;) and I already got the "free" cough*cough leather jacket and a few tshirts. Guess I'll call that interest on them having my DP all this time.

Hey Fred. Most of my riding last year with Sena was 80-115 F. Usually got 10-12 hours with constant music. No issues in rain although the rubber boot that blocks the USB port can tear if not too careful. Had Sena send me two new boots. I thought their service was top notch and forum discount from Alex was nice too.

Last two months of night riding--endured many hours in the 20's and 30's. so far so good.