stock seat mods by Spencer,s

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to give this a shot! I read the website and it seems like the mod will take care of my problems with the seat at a low cost. I will get back with a review once I get the seat back.

Rob

Well, I finally got the chance to put 1,200 miles on my Spencer modded seat and I can tell you it is definitely worth the few bucks it cost. I rode 250 miles a day for four days and my ass got a little sore only on the 4th day because it did get up to 87 degrees. I think a sheep skin cover might help with the heat. My cost was $67.50 for the mod (I sent in 2 seats and Spencer gave me an unexpected but much appreciated 10% discount for 2 seats) and about $47.00 for UPS shipping round trip. So about $115.00 total cost. That's about 1/5 the cost of an aftermarket seat and I retained the stock look to the seat. Money well spent in my opinion! Ride on, jevers P.S. Oh and most importantly is the EXCELLENT customer service and very speedy turn-around.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had my seat done by Spencer a few weeks ago and have not had a chance to put any long days on the bike yet. 300 miles is my longest day so far and that was 150 miles each way, with a couple hour break in the middle for lunch. I can definitely tell a difference though - much less vibration makes it to my butt regardless of RPM.

I will be making a trip to Augusta, GA on March 27th - coming back to Virginia after lunch on the 28th. I plan on riding no less than 1000-1200 miles on that weekend.

I've considered doing this before the winter months hit but forgot. I'v already gone over 10k on the stock seat, including a week long trip from NJ to TN and back. Initally the stock seat hurt the "blades" of my arse, but that went away soon. I really don't like the stock seat covering, i found it to sticky for my riding. That was resolved with a sheepskin. Hopefully next winter i'll remember and send the seat out to for this.

No real interestspending major buks on a seat

I've considered doing this before the winter months hit but forgot. I'v already gone over 10k on the stock seat, including a week long trip from NJ to TN and back. Initally the stock seat hurt the "blades" of my arse, but that went away soon. I really don't like the stock seat covering, i found it to sticky for my riding. That was resolved with a sheepskin. Hopefully next winter i'll remember and send the seat out to for this.No real interestspending major buks on a seat
Just FYI - it only took a week from the time I dropped the seat off until I got it back to my house.

If you can live with the stock seat that's one thing, but if not you may still have time before the riding weather gets really good.

However, if you are a year-round rider, it may never be a good time.

After reading many post on numerous forums and checking out the websites for Spenser and aftermarket seats I concluded that it would be worth the money to try the Spenser mod. This was recommended by a number of people. They said if you do not like it and decide to get other seats you can seel the Spensers on the forum. I shipped both seats last Saturday and with a weekend (no delievery) will get them back around the 30th or 31st. From here in OK it is 4 day shipping each way. The shipping cost was almost as much as the seats are going to cost, $80 round trip but that does include insurance to cover the cost of the seats if they turn up missing. The work on the 2 seats with LD on the rider seat is $100.

I was in contact by e-mail several times with questions to Frank before I shipped and he was very helpful and infomative about what alternatives I had. I will report what my findings are as to satisfaction once I get the seats back and can put some real miles on them.

Spencer’s is a real deal.

Frank reworked my seats and lowered the rider an inch.

The lowering was great, but not for the obvious reasons. Now I sit “deeper” in the seat, which makes the bike even better balanced for me. A real nice surprise I didn’t expect.