Stupid F***ING WOMAN!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzyRider

esolc oot m'I siht dear nac uoy fI
Reaction score
https://www.14wfie.com/global/story.asp?s=10302177

It's stories like these that get my blood boiling. And one more reason to keep the bike in gear, give yourself some distance to the next car, and watch your mirrors when you are sitting at a stop light. On quite a few occasions I've thought through the "I can split lanes with the cars in front of me if I have to" scenario. Maybe I scratch up the cars and my bike, but if I avoid a rear-end collision that's a small price to pay.

It wasn't her fault...you see, she simply had to paint her nails and didn't have time before she left the house.

Besides, they'll look absolutely fabulous at the trial.

Annnnddd, did you notice she killed a woman motorcyclist?!?!

To me, driving while distracted covers more than a woman painting her nails. There are plenty of stoopid people of all three genders performing amazing tricks without the use of a net: typing on their laptop, shaving, brushing teeth, setting curlers, reading a newspaper/magazine/book all while talking on the cell phone and eating fast food while merging onto the freeway. I drive for a living and it would frighten you to ride with me for a day and observe the driving habits of the sub-average motorist.

She's an RN no less, one would think she'd seen enough trauma caused by stupidity so as to disdain joining the killer club. Posted her name, addy and phone in the other forum, for those who wanna reach out and touch. No doubt she's looking forward to the call-unless her nails are drying, in that case, she'll get back to ya.....................

It's times like that when the public should be able to "take matters into their own hands". :angry:

I'm jus sayin.

I drive for a living and it would frighten you to ride with me for a day and observe the driving habits of the sub-average motorist.
I truly believe that maybe 10-20 percent of drivers take driving seriously. The rest consider it secondary to whatever activity they're doing at the time (cell phone blabbing, smacking kids, eating, jacking off... whatever)

Gotta be vigilant..... Whenever I stop any where, in a cage or riding, I watch my rear view mirrors. Have avoided being rear ended more times than I can count by doing this. No way I am going to let some moron take me out....... Situation Awareness will save your ar$e 99% of the time.

I'm with madmike2 on this one. Painting nails, dialing a cell phone, texting, reading the newspaper, etc., it's all the same and the cold hard fact is it's being done constantly......everywhere.

A crappy reminder to never assume the man/woman/idiot behind you is going to stop. Get into first gear and watch your six.

See it every day, both going and coming on the commute.

I especially enjoy the ones who like to read while impersonating vehicle operation.

The poor woman's lawyer said she, "is distressed" .... At least she's around to be distressed.

Sad story, many idiot drivers out there.

I truly believe that maybe 10-20 percent of drivers take driving seriously. The rest consider it secondary to whatever activity they're doing at the time (cell phone blabbing, smacking kids, eating, jacking off... whatever)
Yep, that first sentence estimate sounds about right, and you and mike pretty well sum up the problem.

Yeah, I'll agree with the 10-20 percent guesstimate. Most of the people I work with seem to be completely unaware of just how dangerous their vehicle is and just how much concentration is required to operate it safely. Now I'm not saying that you should have your license revoked for going 1 MPH over the speed limit - quite the opposite really. I think speed limits are artificially low but when I'm driving I'm not going to hold a conversation with anyone - whether in my car or on the cell phone. I spend all of my time focused on the road conditions and what traffic is doing. I just wish more people devoted that much effort and focus to driving.

I also see this every day on my daily commute to a local university.

Except my fellow courteous drivers average about 20 years old, and are constantly looking down at their phones while text messaging.

They often cross into my lane, run stop signs, run stop lights, and they never know it...And usually speeding on top of everything else...

Hopefully the responding officers noted in their case report the strong smell of lacquer paint/solvents and the residue left by the spilling of the open nail polish container...

You can bet your sweet ass that the woman is going to recant her statement about painting her nails when called in to court. The first clue is the statement of her lawyer. What bullshit!

I don't know the laws in that jurisdiction, but here that would be a pretty clear case of negligent driving, with a manslaughter topper. :angry:

Yeah, I'll agree with the 10-20 percent guesstimate. Most of the people I work with seem to be completely unaware of just how dangerous their vehicle is and just how much concentration is required to operate it safely.
Next time hit them with this factoid (from something I said some other time)

One commenter said "If I were King, the nail painter would be giving up all her organs this weekend. On with the show!" That might be a bit harsh but WTF do we need to do to get peoples attention. For work I need to take a drivers training course every few years. One fact that really struck me was 119 people are killed on US highways every fricken day. That's the same as a commercial airliner crashing and killing all on board every day. If an airliner crashed every day would you fly?? But people think driving is just like sitting in their living rooms watching TV. As sad as it is that that lady on the bike was killed there were 118 other folks who didn't come home to their familys that day too... and 119 the next day, and 119 the next day, and 119 the next day....

This "accident" is just another illustration of the lack of attention paid to driving by most cagers -- a sad fact that we have to live with. We can wish and we can rail, but we're not likely to change it, but a couple things come to mind.

Anyone who knows me knows I absolutely believe that skiing and motorcycling are very nearly the same thing. There are a few differences, but there are far more similarities. One of the latter is that you MUST pay attention to EVERYTHING -- from the surface of the very line you will take on the road or snow to everything around you, whether it's coming at you or you're going toward it. And you must be able to do that almost instantaneously, which I think comes from awareness and practice. If you love and try to get good at either, the exercise of being in the moment to give what you are doing that much attention becomes innate, and it's one of the greatest pleasures of either to experience that focus.

You know and FEEL it when you've nailed a bump run, and the same is true with a nearly perfect motorcycle ride (when you NEVER unintentionally went over the painted line, always hit the spot you charted for the line of the bike, etc.). The beauty of either is that it actually becomes easy to pay that much attention and be in the moment doing either -- IMO because it's become pleasurable. I don't think most cagers ever get that, and I know that even though I try to take the same pride in my line and ability to handle my car within the lines as I do on a bike, it doesn't have the same seductive thrill as skis or bikes. I try to practice the same skills in my car as I do on my bike, and I've learned some things due to that practice (e.g., that my car understeers, and if I want to nail that high speed narrow lane sweeper, I need to begin turning the wheel a little earlier than I might with another car, etc.).

Some people should never ride motorcycles. They simply will not give that much effort to being good at it. I've talked to my Dad about that, and about the ability to look over one's shoulder and immediately make a decision -- as opposed to looking, looking again, indecisiveness, etc. My Dad taught me to ride at 13 and to ski at 2; at 84, he's still a remarkably good driver -- hard to believe, but true (my mother, by contrast, was once a good driver and skier, but has really lost it in terms of awareness). My Dad drove engines most of his 33 years on the fire dept., and flew P-47 Thunderbolt fighters in WWII (until he volunteered for what was rumored to be jets and instead ended up flying a glider full of troops behind German lines). His response was that the very same was true about flying -- if you can't look over your shoulder, and instantly fit what you see into the picture you are already aware exists there, you shouldn't be flying that plane. So, I'm saying that if your level of awareness is compromised enough that you don't have a general spacial framework of what exists around you, so that when something is in that space, for example, then you aren't doing the job you need to be doing on the road, whether you're in a car or on a bike.

So, two things: an inattentive or impaired motorcyclist will likely be proving Darwin's thesis very soon. I think it's as a result that we're seeing an uptick in motorcycle accidents as more people get bikes without the training, respect or skills that riding demands. Second, some auto insurance underwriters in some states will give you a discount for being a licensed motorcyclist (AAA did give me that discount while in NV, but not in CA -- different underwriters). They don't do that without statistical backup, and even though the underwriters in some states won't pass the lowered risk savings on, it corroborates what many already know: as a group, motorcyclists are better cage drivers than non riders -- BECAUSE more of us pay attention and try to be good at it than do non-riders.

So, it would be nice to get more cage drivers to pay better attention, to work on greater awareness, to work on their skills, but it isn't likely to happen in any significant way. If they did, it's not just us motorcyclists that would benefit, but other cagers, as well (including the ones who kill or injure themselves or their loved ones with their lousy driving). But for whatever it's worth, insurers seem to spend almost no time or money on that, apparently preferring to buy LIDAR, RADAR and photo enforcement devices for law enforcement. I'll concede that those may have an indirect positive effect by pushing people into traffic school classes. But I don't think those are all that effective at addressing the problems that really make a difference, especially when they're online. I wish that instead, the focus was better placed upon awareness and driving skills in practice. Somehow, we need insurers (those with the money for this) to get it through some people's heads that painting one's nails while driving is insane and contrary to the important thing they have decided to do instead -- the same as when I break for lunch skiing and consider having a beer . . . but never do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being in gear isn't always going to cut it. Like if you are first and there is cross traffic. Sometimes I like to angle in to a stop so I can have more of an opportunity to dart off to the side rather than trying to outrun someone from a dead stop.

When there is room I like to split (filter) past at least a few cars so I am not in the back. I know that is not an option everywhere.