summer gear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peewee

Reaction score
Hey guys

I am on the lookout for summer gear, (don't laugh) here in Ireland.

I find it uncomfortable riding in the summer and prefer cooler spring/winter riding once it's not raining.

So I thought the best people to ask would be anyone in the warmer states of the U.S.

Recently at a bike shoe here I looked at gear by Macna (Spada) seemed light and had mesh.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Loving the site by the way.
specool.gif

P

Check out this thread on our forum.

CLICKY

This is where we dug into the topic of cooling vests. I ended up buying a Veskimo after all my research, but there are a bunch of technologies explored on the thread with lots of great links. Here in humid, miserable Florida, it turns summer into AAHHHHHHH.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
My recently purchased mesh jacket is a Renegade by Olympia Motorsport. The design and fit are very good. Options have water resistant lining. Bought from Revzella.com.

What brands do you have access to in Ireland? I would imagine that brands such as Olympia or Motoport may not be available to you unless you are willing to import it directly from across the pond.

Check out this thread on our forum.
CLICKY

This is where we dug into the topic of cooling vests. I ended up buying a Veskimo after all my research, but there are a bunch of technologies explored on the thread with lots of great links. Here in humid, miserable Florida, it turns summer into AAHHHHHHH.

Gary

darksider #44
Yep. A name brand mesh jacket combined with a cooling vest =
smile.png
smile.png

Don't know about shipping to Europe, but when these peeps put on a closeout, you won't beat the price:

www.motorcycegear.com

(formally Newenough.com)

I've bought a lot of stuff from them - excellent customer service.

All I would say is some brands cost more for a reason. And get something not black for summer use. The best venting jacket will still get hot in the sun.

How hot is hot?

Up to a point it is beneficial to have mesh or well ventilated clothing. Above some point in the low 90 degree range the ventilating air becomes a handicap, and you are better off sealing yourself from the outside air and doing something else to rid your self of excess heat.

Generally, that is the point when I quit riding, but if you live in the tropics or desert, or plan to ride through it, I guess that you learn to adapt to it (with cooling vests, etc.) the way that I have learned to adapt to the cold (with electrically heated gear).

What brands do you have access to in Ireland? I would imagine that brands such as Olympia or Motoport may not be available to you unless you are willing to import it directly from across the pond.
You are probably right about that oki, i've not seen those brands.We have the usual suspects like Spada,Spidi, RST,Alpinestars,Dainese etc.

For the ultimate in protection ETJ ^^^^ has you covered. I have a Air Mesh Kevlar jacket / pants for summer plus a stretch kevlar jacket I picked up really cheap. The stretch kevlar works fine in temps up to about 90F.

Good luck with the search!

--G
Thanks for that guys. I hope to get to L.A. in September if I can't get that gear hear or if I don't get what I want here, assuming we get a summer here.