Summer jacket recommendations?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beacher

Reaction score
But before y'all haul my ashes over the fire, I did a quick search, using 3 different phrases, and wasted 45 minutes reading! Please, go easy on the old man! The jacket that I'm using now is a Dainese, but at 75•, it's too hot, even with the liner out. Went riding today without, but, being allergic to losing skin to asphalt rash, I was not all that comfy, either. Stopped in at my local bike gear store, and they had a Motoboss, "on sale" ($109), but that seems to be the going rate most places. Any other recommendations would be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to some bike shops and try some on. I have a Joee Rocket and a Olympia. Oly,ipia is a little warm but better protection...Rocket has more mesh so its cooler...

But before y'all haul my ashes over the fire, I did a quick search, using 3 different phrases, and wasted 45 minutes reading! Please, go easy on the old man! The jacket that I'm using now is a Dainese, but at 75•, it's too hot, even with the liner out. Went riding today without, but, being allergic to losing skin to asphalt rash, I was not all that comfy, either. Stopped in at my local bike gear store, and they had a Motoboss, "on sale" ($109), but that seems to be the going rate most places. Any other recommendations would be appreciated!
I've been riding with a Joe Rocket Phoenix II for 4 years now, when my leather and perforated leather pants/jacket suits are too warm for the weather. Also being allergic to road rash, I finally ordered what I believe to be the one true warm weather solution: a Cycleport Kevlar mesh jacket and pants. Expensive (a LOT more so than my Joe Rocket mesh), but a LOT better protection and much less expensive than skin grafts. Unfortunately, it looks like I won't have it in time for the trip to CFR in BC in 2 weeks (right now, it's 6 weeks for Cycleport to make it to your specs and ship, and I ordered only 2 weeks ago).

https://www.motoport.com/_catalog/Kevlar_Products

If you want cheaper, there are several nylon mesh jackets available new for between $100 and $200. The nylon won't hold up against asphalt like kevlar and the armor isn't as good as Cycleport's, but the most important issue in these is trying to make sure that the armored parts of the jacket (esp., shoulder & elbows) fit well enough to stay in place (rather than roll or slide out of place) in a get-off. Heck, I'll probably be selling mine and the unused Joe Rocket mesh pants once I get back from Canada to my new Cycleport suit.

Happy Friday. :)

I've using the Joe Rocket. It's mesh, has some built in padding. Very functional. Maybe not the best protection, but hey I like the fit, the comfort and what protection it does offer I'm hoping will be sufficient.

tJust dumped my Motoboss of two years for a Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 textile/mesh jacket. Here in coastal Texas it starts at 75 degrees in the morning, and goes to 95 with about 85% humidity, in other words hot and humid. My complaint withe the Boss was the back pad was foam and it sucked the moisture out of your back and was VERY uncomfortable, felt like the sun was hitch-hiking on my back. I rode with the backing removed which defeats the safety purpose. The Rocket jacket, breathes very well and the backing has a few holes for venting and is made of sturdier material, not foam. I like it!!!

Beacher,

Look for a Rev'it store in your area and try on the Turbine! I just upgraded all my gear to Rev'it! One of the most comfortable decisions I have ever made!

https://www.beachmoto.com/revit/jackets/turbine.php

Best Regards,

Shane

I've got a Icon Hooligan Stealth, mainly because it's the only off the rack jacket that has sleeves long enough to cover my ape arms....

+1 or much more to the Motoport/Cycleport Kevlar mesh. It is as cool as a Joe Rocket mesh, but way more protective. Kevlar! Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Yes. I don't see another good choice.

I really like my FirstGear Rush jacket.

Back armor isn't great but I have an Alpinestars Bionic Back Protector CE Level 2.

Elbow and shoulder armor is great in the Rush.

I'm partial to FirstGear because they're one of the few that produces "Tall" sizes which I ned for my 6'4" frame.

NewEnough.com has a GREAT deal on the FirstGear Rush Jacket right now.

I personally really like my Alpinestars T-Stunt Air-flow jacket. It's an older version but it flows air like a mesh but IMO better protection than many mesh jackets. Some mesh jackets look like you'd wear them in West Hollywierd to a village People concert, and they appear to have minimal protection to me.

It has a liner, and when the liner is out, it's full air flow all around.

Good luck.

+2 on the tour master intake, i ride with that one in 32-95. It's built for warm weather, but has a rain liner and a an insulated liner as well. I just wish it came in Hi-Vis