Superbike School...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drew231506

0 Posts Per Day
Reaction score
So which do you think I should do first? I can use the FJR and learn how to use MY bike better. On the other hand I can use use their bike, and be on a true sportbike (which ive never really been on and sounds like fun). Whacha think?? Any comments on the school would be appreciated too.

I can use the FJR and learn how to use MY bike better.
That is how I would go. While the other may be fun ( WHOLE LOTTA FUN), you already knowing your machine and getting better aquanted would be the more prudent course to take.

And don't forget you owe me a windshield screw :)

Point made?

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's see...

risk bustn up your own $10K bike,

or bustn up a rental which is likely dialed in for the job.

Do ya really need that one answered for ya?

My FJR sat on the sidelines when I did my class. The things you learn in class help you no matter what bike you are on and where you are riding. It was the best money I have spent besides buying the bike.

Go into it with an open mind and you will learn a lot and have a great time. Looking forward to when I can afford the level 2 class. Might even save up to take the two day RACE class just for some additional fun.

Dana

Take the FJR, if that's the bike you want to ride better if you want to learn how to ride a sport bike then rent one. I just got back from doing the Class school at Laguna Seca and I rode my 06 FJR, that's the bike I wanted to improve my riding on. I have done track days and schools on 3 different kinds of bikes and there is a big differance between a 400# bike and a 600# bike, not to mention shaft drive and ABS. And about risking your 10K bike, the street is much more dangerous than the track. Buy the way the biggest thriil I have had on a bike was holding it wide open through turn 1 at laguna Seca, my GPS showed 137 mph, the liter sport bikes where about 10 mph faster.

ooooeeeeee I am going to school at Grattan, Michigan on May 4th and was very concerned as they don't offer the rentals but after reading this thread I feel a lot more confident about about doing the intro class on my 06. thx to all ....

Being on a track, would your insurance company pay for a spill/damages? If not, then that should weigh on your decision.

If it's your first school, I'd say use the 600, IMHO you'll learn more faster if you're not worried about tearing up your stuff.

The skills you'll work on and learn will translate to the feej and it will be a lot of fun doing it on a more capable 'track' bike.

Definitely use their bike. You won't have to change out your coolant, or wire tie all your components that way.

Another note, after racing for half the day, we came upon a 3 bike pile up. Leaving the track (Watkins Glen) there is a sharp left turn, everyone was still in race mode, and went into too fast. It might not hurt to drive, not ride home, and allow yourself to unwind.

Just my 2 cents worth.

ENJOY THE CLASS! :clapping:

-Jimbo

Another vote to run their bike.

As mentioned above the skills are transferable and you'll be able to push their bike much harder than the FJR will ever go. I have a track bike and I have an FJR, there is NO comparision. As long as you're paying for the experiance why short change yourself?

Beware of the dark side! :dribble:

I would ride their bike. While the FJR is a great bike, unless you have it tuned for the track it could be quite a handful. Suspension matters a ton. Also, like was previously noted it would also depend on whether they would require you to pass safety tech (which could mean safety wiring your bike, mirrors off, glass taped, radiator fluid changed to water, etc.). This takes quite a bit to make it ready.

Ride their bike. The riding skills you learn can be use on ANY motorcycle. If you do make a mistake, you wouldn't want to make it a $13,000 mistake. Your FJR will be waiting for you to finish school. B)

Drew,

I did Level 1 on their bike, and don't regret it at all. Their bikes are 'race prepped' and excellent learning tools. I'm taking the 2 Day Camp at Pocono in May, and using their bike again. The reasons other than those stated (i.e. crashing your FJR) are as follows.

- Their bike is raced prepped as mentioned and a killer bike at that. I believe they've got new models this year

- The suspension of their bike is already set up properly, whereas yours might not be

- You do not have to worry about taping lights, removing mirrors, having proper tires, etc... for you FJR

- Crashing your bike, not just from a "it will scratch my paint", but from a psychological perspective, you'll be more free to push it.

- Considering that the ZX6 weighs considerably less than the FJR, you won't be fighting the weight of the bike.

- Using their bike, takes one more thing out of the equation for the instructors to focus on teaching you and dealing with your riding issues, and not your bikes issues.

Trust me, it is worth the extra dollars to use their bike. You might also want to check your insurance policy, as some have 'no track clauses' in them as well. Get all this stuff sorted before you get there, because in my 17 years of riding, CSS ranks as one of the 'most fun' days on two wheels.

dgfella

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a track day at Firebird in Arizona aboard the company's R-6. A good decision. You post a $750 crash damage bond (credit card) and that's all you will lose if you trash the bike. They are set up well, track-ready and, best yet, are wearing gummy rubber so you don't have to screw around putting on - then taking off - soft track compounds on your own machine. Besides, 95 hp on a sub-400 lb. pure sport bike on the track is a formula for fun, fun, fun!