swappin'.....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flint

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to trade my 11,000 mile non ABS 2003 bike for a 330 mile 2005 ABS bike for my bike and $5068.00 difference. So whut cha all think bout dis deal? Don't seem to bad to me? I keep all my on bike goodies and just swap em over my self. If my aftermarket screen will fit and the TOGS and the shelf and the Throttlemeister go on it then I will be in bidness. I'm not sure yet if I need to move the Superbrace to this bike? Isn't the 2005 suspension improved over the 2003 model? If this all works out I am thinking of adding the Hole Shot system to my bike and keeping my topcase if it will go on the 2005 model and just having it repainted to match?

What do you folks think about the swap? Newer scoot less miles with warranty versus older higher milage non ABS bike?

Flint

i would jump on that deal if the bike is clean and sound. the screen will fit and i would definately keep the tog's and the brace. the suspension is only slightly beefed up as of 04 but that still doesn't change the benifit of stiffening up front end twist and flex. just be sure the brace is designed for abs.

i would just want to know why the other guy wants to do this. if he just really likes to lock up the real wheel, then maybe it's not too good to be true.

derek

Remember I'm an '05 ABS owner.....

Brakes up front are 320mm vs. 298mm and nice to have. People who don't dislike ABS love it. Front spring rate is supposedly 10% stiffer, but still can stand the aftermarket Wilbers.

One thing the the '03 has over the '05 is roll-on power. No dyno runs, but the highly calibrated Warchild ass believes strongly they detuned things a bit in '04 and '05 that's noticable in top gear.

Doesn't sound horrible on the exchange value assuming you get YES coverage transferred.

I don't care how highly calibrated it is, Warchild's ass should NEVER be brought up in polite discussion.

:blink: :blink:

Not to mention the ass-dyno is THE most inaccurate measuring device in the known universe.

:detect:

Dodging the WC ass detecto-matic warp speed modulation detection analysis and curly hair growth device comment. The bike was traded in at a dealer from a dude who creamed a deer on his 2004 and then bought the 2005 as a replacement but had to find out he had just lost the heart for it. He traded it in on a Grizzley 4x4 for boon dock ridin'. I can live with a few less ponies and maybe can get them back with a pipe and a fuel tuning device? I'll be out the door for a tad over 12 with a literally new bike and I keep me goodies. The brace is of course the non ABS type so I spose I'll have to sell it and move on with either a new one or ride it as is? I don't know where the brace had to be modified to work with the ABS bikes so I won't be adding it to the new bike? TOGS and shelf and radar dectector should all just move over and we have agreed that I get to keep my Throttlemeister by moving it over to the new bike too. Anyone know what the install time is in a reputed shop for an Audiovox cruise control?

May want ta add that unit sometime down the road?

Thanks bros,

Flint

Anyone know what the install time is in a reputed shop for an Audiovox cruise control? May want ta add that unit sometime down the road?

Thanks bros,

Flint
Hey,

Depending on your comfort level/skill/desire, the install time for an Audiovox cruise can range from about 3 hours, with a helper, to an entire weekend.

It will go smoothest if you do lots of reading and looking at pictures before ever starting, as well as doing as much of the pre-fabbing as possible with vacuum canisters and such.

It's about a four-hour job for me, but I don't know that my garage qualifies as a "reputed" shop. I doubt any of them would accept the responsibility.

I won't be going back now that I've had it. YMMV.

Good Luck,

Shane

Flip a coin on this one, keep the '03 or buy up to the '05?. Is this a good deal? Answer: it's a wash. I'm sure the '03 is a perfectly good sickle and as long as it doesn't turn into a you-know-what, no reason it wouldn't keep you happy for a long time with $5,000 staying in your pocket.

As for the '05, newer and less mileage and better looking in my biased, '05 owning opinion.

I've had some BMW's with the ABS and much as I hate to admit it I like the idea. :angry: I take wifey along on rides and such and with us two pork bellys and the weight of the bike the ABS may just save a little bacon if ya will? My age is a bit of a factor too, since I am a little over a year from bein' 60 and old enough to retire if I should choose to. I haven't really looked at doing that very hard yet but want the dux lined up if it should come to pass. Wife is 5 years younger and she will lose her health care from my job if I give it up so I may just hang with it for a bit? The point is to have a bike that will take care of me in my golden (choak, puke) years along with the GoldWing? Just in case my enchiphalitic brain, and a lovely recurring flash back should make for a tasty level of incompetance in the riding department I'll just kick it in the flanks and tell it to take me home. :D

Flint

I'm not so sure about the value. If the bike were to sell ata reasonable price, say 11,500 and you are going to give him 5,000, your saying your bike is only worth 6,500. I think I've seen 03's sell for around 8,000. I'd trade and give him 3,500, not 5,000. But thats just my logic.

Glenn

I am with Glenn. I am not convinced this is such a great deal. I guess it all depends on how much $$$ you want to throw away for convienance.

First of all, you do not have high miles on your 03. 11,000 miles is nothing. For heaven's sake, go ride the dern'd thing!

You mentioned out the door for a tad over 12. Too much IMHO. Shopping around, you should be able to get a low mile 05 ABS in the $10,000 - $10,500 range. Check out the below Cycletrader ads:

05 ABS for 10k

05 ABS for $9400 This one is a steal, even with 16k miles.

05 ABS for $9900

Nicely farkled 05 ABS for $10,250

So get something like above and sell your 03 yourself and you will be way ahead.

Down side a sellin' one for me is that I live in way northern Wyoming. Not many folks want to come here for a look see at a used anything much less a motasickle. The cash difference of a grand or so and then I have to either arrange shipping for my new scoot from the other side of the country or drive there to get it wouldn't save me all that much? This new bike has an actual 303 miles on it and that is way below anything I could ever find on a used bike? It is literally brand new for 12,000.00 and within a 3 1/2 hour drive from here.

Thanks to all for the input on this new to me bike. Linda and I went over and did the swap this afternoon and it is in the trailer in the driveway in a heck of a snowstorm at the moment. Tomorrow I will have to unload it and show it where it's new home will be. Glad the trailer is covered so it don't get wet.

At any rate I have recently become the proud papa of a 2005 YAMAHA FJR in the ever lovely Galaxy blue. Long may it wave.

Ciao,

Flint

seems a pretty tough price diference to me since you can pick up a 05 with 2k miles for 10k easily. Taking your location into consideration, I know NOTHING :D

Well, when all is said and done...........

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

All that matters is that you are happy!

So where is it exactly that you are located in "way northern Wyoming". I spent a few years in southwestern Wyoming. The paradise they call, "Rock Springs". I am still in therapy.

Sounds like a snowmobile would have been an apropriate choice :D

Congrats on the new bike, I think the ABS is a big plus and I think you will enjoy the benefits of the system.

We are located in the north east corner in Gillette. Just 122 miles from Sturgis and 107 from Deadwood.

I took most of the gossip as fact in the if it's gonna tick it will do it at around 15,000 column? The old one wasn't doin' it yet and neither is the new one as yet? :rolleyes:

The trip home it started to snow pretty good and I actually had to kick off the cruise and slow er down for the last 30 miles or so. Nothing like bringing home a new bike in the snow. At least I wasn't riding it.

Thanks again for any and all input,

Denny

Gillette, huh? I had the pleasure of staying there a few years ago after blowing out of Sturgis late in the day.

Have you ever ridden into Yellowstone from the northeast on U.S. 212? Beartooth Highway or something like that? Supposedly awesome road that's on my list of things to do :D .

Latest posts