Tankslapper Protective Film-Question for those who have it.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcsp

Reaction score
I would get the whole kit, the lower fairing will get a beating from the front tire throwing up crap, easy to install, use water with a couple drops of dish soap in a spray bottle, clean fairing surface spray fairing and spray film as you peal the backing off (spray lots of water on both, spray till the water is running down the fairing & film, apply film spray the top of film, position it then use a squeegee to push out water & bubbles, start from the center and work your way out. let sit for 24 hours after before you ride it.

I put a set on my 04 soon after getting it and other than the saddlebag pieces, they stayed in place for a long time. Just recently ordered a new tank set as mine were finally starting to tear on the edges (after close to 10 years under my tank bag). The pieces that cover the lower painted portion below the seat really so a lot of wear. Would hate to think what my paint would look like after all this time without these. I was very happy with the decision to add them.

A little money saving tip.

Go to any arts & crafts store like JOANNE FABRICS ect......

They sell clear vinyl on huge rolls in different mil thickness.

Have them cut as much as you want and you can trim it with scissors to fit, for a few bucks instead of $135.00.

I used this to cover the tank when I used a magnetic tank bag.

I can't believe they get $135.00 for pieces of clear vinyl.

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased the same 3M kit from Bravo protection (local Mpls shop's name) but they also sell under https://www.clearbra-kits.com/. I put on about 75% of it, the important first, side cases, tank, most of the front and I'm hoping to finish the rest soon. It goes on pretty easy, other than I cut the main front in 2 pieces to make it easier to install. It's easier than cars as the sections are small and you can pull, stretch as needed(yes you need to stretch it), with out too much worry. Start with a simple small sections first till you get the hang of it. You need two good spray bottles and if you don't have kids, you'll have to find a neighbor that does so you can get the few drops of baby shampoo for the main install lube. There's lots of videos on Youtube to help understand the in's and outs.

The funny thing is that Bravo had listed before (and they since changed), was the "full kit" without the optional 2-side panels for $125.00 (mine was the 13' and don't need it I guess, unless you paint it) and when I picked them up he wanted to charge me $150.00, because this a long roll of material and he stated he couldn't make money on it. I ended paying $130.00 as I had confirmed the price with his partner before I ordered it, and they could go back. So anything less than a $150.00 probably a good deal!!

Have fun, and take your time!!

I've had the tank piece on several bikes and recommend it. This is the original, non-adhesive material. I've done their version of headlight protectors as well; if I could get them off their dead a**es to respond to emails, I'd add those to the FJR and a couple others right now.

I put a set on my 04 soon after getting it and other than the saddlebag pieces, they stayed in place for a long time. Just recently ordered a new tank set as mine were finally starting to tear on the edges (after close to 10 years under my tank bag). The pieces that cover the lower painted portion below the seat really so a lot of wear. Would hate to think what my paint would look like after all this time without these. I was very happy with the decision to add them.
Had the Tankslapper side panel pieces & 3M headlight film on my '03 since new, still on the bike when traded.

Side panel film showed some wear but polishes out.

I've had the tank piece on several bikes and recommend it. This is the original, non-adhesive material. I've done their version of headlight protectors as well; if I could get them off their dead a**es to respond to emails, I'd add those to the FJR and a couple others right now.
I've been having good e-mail communication with Tankslapper, not complaints here.

I purchased the same 3M kit from Bravo protection (local Mpls shop's name) but they also sell under https://www.clearbra-kits.com/. I put on about 75% of it, the important first, side cases, tank, most of the front and I'm hoping to finish the rest soon. It goes on pretty easy, other than I cut the main front in 2 pieces to make it easier to install. It's easier than cars as the sections are small and you can pull, stretch as needed(yes you need to stretch it), with out too much worry. Start with a simple small sections first till you get the hang of it. You need two good spray bottles and if you don't have kids, you'll have to find a neighbor that does so you can get the few drops of baby shampoo for the main install lube. There's lots of videos on Youtube to help understand the in's and outs.
The funny thing is that Bravo had listed before (and they since changed), was the "full kit" without the optional 2-side panels for $125.00 (mine was the 13' and don't need it I guess, unless you paint it) and when I picked them up he wanted to charge me $150.00, because this a long roll of material and he stated he couldn't make money on it. I ended paying $130.00 as I had confirmed the price with his partner before I ordered it, and they could go back. So anything less than a $150.00 probably a good deal!!

Have fun, and take your time!!
Tankslapper's expanded kit seems to offer alot more pieces than what I had seen at the clear bras site you posted.

Bought the mixed kit when I got the bike in '08. The 3M pieces on the fairing have held up well. Little trickier installation but worth it. The other stick on clear vinyl has mixed results. The side case pieces came off rather quickly. The tank pieces stayed on, but eventually yellowed and became brittle. Replaced some of them with a generic sheet cut to size.

Ordered a custom kit -some pieces from their "all 3M total protection kit" and the expanded kit as I didn't want or need some pieces they had offered. All 3M material so once in place it should stay put.

I am lucky that my bro-in-law does paint protection/vinyl lettering/tinting at his shop. He has a plotter that will cut pieces as needed for the make, model of any car or bike. He could have cut me the whole kit, but I just did the front fairing, mirrors, headlights, and the pieces that cover the windscreen screws. He gave me some scrap pieces that I used to make my own pattern for the tops of the bags. He also gave me some application spray that was almost gel like. It would stay wetter longer.
blushing.gif
It was spot on as far as fitment. Another tip he showed me is if you have a hard time with an edge that doesn't want to lay down, is to put a paper towel over the plastic squeegee to absorb the water as it is pushed out from under it. The best part is that it was free for me, and he can cut the pieces from scrap!
bleh.gif

I bought this stuff when I first got my 2004. The stuff wouldn't stay on when it got wet. You guys not ride in the rain? I gave up on it along time ago!

Well this post is ancillary to the ongoing discussion. As I said before, I have bought Tankslapper for several motorcycles. But I'm on my third attempt to get a response to an email. I'm trying to purchase headlight protectors for four motorcycles, and the Tankslapper for the FJR. Very hard for me to explain.

Well this post is ancillary to the ongoing discussion. As I said before, I have bought Tankslapper for several motorcycles. But I'm on my third attempt to get a response to an email. I'm trying to purchase headlight protectors for four motorcycles, and the Tankslapper for the FJR. Very hard for me to explain.
I'm surprised that they wouldn't have responded. I have had excellent results in getting replies to several messages to them.

Have you checked your "Junk" e-mail folder??

You did initially use the "contact" page below?

https://thetankslapper.biz/osc/contact_us.php?osCsid=cbbfd966874fc22c10cf50871980949f

I bought the Tank Slapper kit when I first bought my 08! Didn't bother to put it on, seemed too finicky? Now my bike has blemishes everywhere? I guess I ride it too much? Oh well!

I bought this stuff when I first got my 2004. The stuff wouldn't stay on when it got wet. You guys not ride in the rain? I gave up on it along time ago!
uh yeah, hours and hours of riding in the rain and not one problem with the tankslapper film (2nd set) that has been on my '05 for five years now.

if its not sticking then its not installed right.

The first set did its job and sacrificed itself rather than the paint.

I've had the 3M kit on my Gen 1 for 100,000 miles. Not one has come off.

I bought the set for my '13 and despite washings and riding for hours in near freezing temps and rain, all are still stuck on.

You sure you didn't buy the cheaper film? Jim bought it for his VFR and had one of the tank panels come off on the ride down to SE Ohio last year. The other came off on the ride down this year. Ya, you got it, he bought the cheaper 'easier' film.

The 3M film can be a real BITCH to install ( I bought and installed the full kit for the '13). The only pieces I didn't install were the headlight covers. No way I could get those on nicely despite fuxoring around with them for hours.

For the Gen 3 owners, the front fairing piece is one piece and looks like a bullwinkels antlers. I cut them in half at the bottom and put it on in two pieces.

The 3M film can be a real BITCH to install ( I bought and installed the full kit for the '13). The only pieces I didn't install were the headlight covers. No way I could get those on nicely despite fuxoring around with them for hours.
Out of curiosity, I'm going to check with a few local shops & see what it would cost to have some or all of the kit installed.

Funny, I put the 3M headlight film on an '06 Triumph 675. Very steeply rounded contours. Consternation and swearing of course, but I got them 98% stuck down. Even when I sold the bike last spring, there were a couple of little tiny puckers at the bottom. Between that and SWMBO's Fiesta, I expect I can get them onto the FJR.

Update after my post:

Spoke with Lucas after getting most of the pieces that I needed into the (old) shopping cart. I remember now why I've purchased from them in the past. Like a lot of suppliers to the motorcycle community, this is a smallish outfit, who does what they do because they want to. Knowledgeable, helpful, and accommodating. Looking forward to yet another install.