Tankslapper Protective Film-Question for those who have it.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just completed putting all the 3M and Tankslapper pieces on my 14ES.

It took quite some time and some of the pieces were a bit painful to install, but it turned out pretty well. I didn't have that much of an issue with the headlight pieces like Bungie mentioned he had. They turned out fine.

xcsp - Did you ever get any quotes from your local shops yet for install?

I'm wondering how much they charge. Next time I would contemplate having it done, even though I have done my 03' and now the 14ES.

Last edited by a moderator:
It took quite some time and some of the pieces were a bit painful to install, but it turned out pretty well. I didn't have that much of an issue with the hadlight pieces like Bungie, they turned out fine.
None of the other pieces caused me any undo grief except for the headlights.

Did you split the 'deer antlers' for the front of the fairing before installation?

It took quite some time and some of the pieces were a bit painful to install, but it turned out pretty well. I didn't have that much of an issue with the headlight pieces like Bungie mentioned he had. They turned out fine.
None of the other pieces caused me any undo grief except for the headlights.

Did you split the 'deer antlers' for the front of the fairing before installation?
Yes, I followed your instruction and split them. It made it much easier!!

Thanks again for that tip.
rolleyes.gif

I had a quote from one place for $85/hour and they figured 3(+/-) hours. Checked with another local shop, $75/hour and 1.5-2 hours for install time for the complete kit. Lucas from Tankslapper says a pro should be able to install in 2 hours for the full kit. If I lived near him I'd have him install it!

I installed the side case pieces (top & top-rear/front leading edge), turn signal, windshield cover plates and frame pieces by the foot pegs last weekend, wasn't too bad, figured this should cut the install time by the "professionals" to an hour.

Bike is currently at the shop for the installation of the remainder of the kit.

The shop mentioned the 3M film from the Tankslapper kit is not as optically clear and has some "orange peel" to it compared to the 3M film they normally use-I thought the pieces I installed looked fine, couple people couldn't even tell I had it on the side cases!

I had a quote from one place for $85/hour and they figured 3(+/-) hours. Checked with another local shop, $75/hour and 1.5-2 hours for install time for the complete kit. Lucas from Tankslapper says a pro should be able to install in 2 hours for the full kit. If I lived near him I'd have him install it!
I installed the side case pieces (top & top-rear/front leading edge), turn signal, windshield cover plates and frame pieces by the foot pegs last weekend, wasn't too bad, figured this should cut the install time by the "professionals" to an hour.

Bike is currently at the shop for the installation of the remainder of the kit.

The shop mentioned the 3M film from the Tankslapper kit is not as optically clear and has some "orange peel" to it compared to the 3M film they normally use-I thought the pieces I installed looked fine, couple people couldn't even tell I had it on the side cases!
Sounds good.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes them to complete the task.

Picked up the bike this afternoon from the shop, did a nice job, had them trim out the front fender where it goes out to the sides to protect the fork tubes, total cost of the install was $150.

The installer commented that the pre-cut film for the left "silver" side panel below the seat needed to be trimmed by the opening for the "grab handle", not sure if anyone else has encountered that?

Yes. I had the same problem with the left side panel below the seat. I had to trim it also.

I called them up and let them know about the issue.

They said they had not heard of this and would need to look into it.

Looks like I was not the only one.

I need a bit of help please.

I am almost finished with the install of the 3M total kit from Tankslapper. The 3M is a challenge to work with.

When I try to lay out the two pieces on each saddlebag, I can't for the life of me make it work. It looks like the two pieces butt together on a straight edge - maybe? But the contours of the shell do not seem match the way the pieces are cut. As a reference, the larger piece has a little finger on it - where is that intended to go? The smaller piece has a notch in it - where does that wind up?

Thanks

FJR%201300%2013-14.jpg

Copacetic, I'll see if I can get a picture of my saddlebag with the film on it.

The piece with the "finger" goes on the top of the bag lid with the finger towards the front. I put these pieces on first, then installed the other piece which covers the front leading edge (face) of the bag with the "notch" being at the "point" of the bag on the front of the bag-towards the front of the bike.

Here are a couple pics, first one my finger is pointing to the "finger" or point on the film, hard to see clear film!

The next couple I used masking tape to outline the edge of the film, hope that helps.