Tech day X

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, maybe pushing my luck here. My dad's in need of a tire change too. Is a new set of tires on a 1500 Goldwing feasible for this kind of event? And if so, is anyone up to the challenge?

He brings fewer technical skills to the table than me, fair warning.

I am bringing the tire changer so go ahead and bring the Wing and new tires. Worst case we will cut the tires in half and then mount them with duct tape.

We do have the shims and will just have you give us some money to replace the ones we use from the kit. You need the two O-Rings for the coolant pipe and it is wise to have the gasket for the cover for the timing chain on the side. We can get coolant and oil at the local Wally World in Owosso to save you from hauling it all the way to Owosso. If you can't make it Friday in time to let the bike cool down and do some of the initial teardown then it is best if you trailer the bike because we need a cold engine to take the As Found valve clearance readings.
We have always been able to reuse the valve cover gasket but I do have a new one if for some reason yours cannot be reused. Have you removed the PAIR system? If not this is an excellent opportunity to get some nice block off plates from WynPro.

WynPro Plates

Neither Ray or I have any work to do on our own bikes so we should have the time to Get-R-Done on Saturday.
Thanks Bill. I was hoping to hear back from you or Ray on this (Andy...not so much
no.gif
) since I know you guys got the skills.

I'll get the WynPro's and o-rings and study up on the procedure to try and be as much help as possible. Thanks!

I rode to work today. Since it was a little bit chilly and damp the heated grips felt nice.

After work I get ready to head home, gear up, thumb the starter, and "click, click, click". Yup, like a dummy I left the grip heaters on all day.

So, would I be able to get a hand wiring in a relay and fuseblock and general electrical type stuff at Tech Day X?

My goal was to have a new shock installed and the linkages greased. (And that is still a priority since my wife and I are heading to Wellsboro for the PennRun next month.)

But would it be possible to knock out both of these tasks on the 18th? In either case, I will have 12 little Timmy's upon arrival!

^^^ Should not be a problem. Just don't allow Bust to let the smoke out or he will be squealing like a little girl.

I rode to work today. Since it was a little bit chilly and damp the heated grips felt nice.After work I get ready to head home, gear up, thumb the starter, and "click, click, click". Yup, like a dummy I left the grip heaters on all day.

So, would I be able to get a hand wiring in a relay and fuseblock and general electrical type stuff at Tech Day X?

I can handle that. Might need to pick up some thicker gauge wire than what I have. But I'll have the soldering iron and should have enough heat shrink.

I rode to work today. Since it was a little bit chilly and damp the heated grips felt nice.After work I get ready to head home, gear up, thumb the starter, and "click, click, click". Yup, like a dummy I left the grip heaters on all day.

I can handle that. Might need to pick up some thicker gauge wire than what I have. But I'll have the soldering iron and should have enough heat shrink.
Thanks, I will grab some wire. What gauge would you recommend?

I do have an Eastern Beaver harness running to to back of the bike where the AP-1 fuseblock could go.

^^^ Should not be a problem. Just don't allow Bust to let the smoke out or he will be squealing like a little girl.
Okay, maybe, I think.

Allright, I have to admit, being kind of new around these parts I have no clue what that means.

Bustanut and electronics are a bad mix. Bust likes to attach too many electrons until the poor device can't take anymore and explodes. As any decent electronics tech will tell you once you let the smoke out of a chip the device does not want to play anymore. When Bust does this he tends to scare himself silly and runs around squealing like a little girl. I have personally witnessed this and it wasn't pretty. It was damn funny however. Bust does have some plausible deniability however since Andy had a hand in this fiasco.

With Bust and Andy involved that poor horn never stood a chance. You have been warned.

Alas, I have heard tales of Andy and a bookcase. It's actually almost legendary around these parts. However the exact sequence of events surrounding that episode is also still a mystery to me. Is this in any way related to that event?

Btw, Now you have me scouring my workshop looking for something random electronic thingy that Bust can work his magic on.

Tech days can be so educational especially if there's video documentation. Can't wait!

Last edited by a moderator:
With Bust's ticker in the shape its in, he probably shouldn't be near anything electrical anyway.

Thanks, I will grab some wire. What gauge would you recommend?
I have some 14 gauge black wire, and 22 gauge red and 22 gauge black. Fuzeblock recommends 12 gauge for the battery and ground connections. The 22 gauge is probably sufficient for circuits 5 amps or less. Heated grips usually draw 2-3 amps. Heated clothing will need something more substantial. I typically stick to the 12V is red, and ground is black convention.

Question becomes what all do you plan on hooking up to the Fuzeblock?

Heated grips, heated seat, cell phone charger, GPS, and LED lights.

Lights are already wired up but running off the battery posts as are the heated grips.

I'll have to check, but I think a relay is part of the harness already running to the back of the bike where I'd like the Fuseblock.

I'd also like to move the LED dimmer to under the seat and tap the high beam for full on. I have a couple of different PosiTaps for that

Ugh..... I'll not be able to make this adventure....

You guys had quite the garage full on the last one when the woman and I were moving through towards Toronto...

Glad your feeling better to fuck around with all this shit again Bust.... Can't keep the old fart down I guess...

If anyone needs a fuseblock - I have one of these laying around in the garage if they are interested....
Consider it my Pay it forward for the last Tech Day.... it'll be shipped to Bust's House

fuse_panel_centech.jpg

We do have the shims and will just have you give us some money to replace the ones we use from the kit. You need the two O-Rings for the coolant pipe and it is wise to have the gasket for the cover for the timing chain on the side. We can get coolant and oil at the local Wally World in Owosso to save you from hauling it all the way to Owosso. If you can't make it Friday in time to let the bike cool down and do some of the initial teardown then it is best if you trailer the bike because we need a cold engine to take the As Found valve clearance readings.
We have always been able to reuse the valve cover gasket but I do have a new one if for some reason yours cannot be reused. Have you removed the PAIR system? If not this is an excellent opportunity to get some nice block off plates from WynPro.

WynPro Plates

Neither Ray or I have any work to do on our own bikes so we should have the time to Get-R-Done on Saturday.
Bill I'm assuming you're talking about the #29 on this schematic:

But can't find the o-rings you're talking about. Help!

Heated grips, heated seat, cell phone charger, GPS, and LED lights.Lights are already wired up but running off the battery posts as are the heated grips.

I'll have to check, but I think a relay is part of the harness already running to the back of the bike where I'd like the Fuseblock.

I'd also like to move the LED dimmer to under the seat and tap the high beam for full on. I have a couple of different PosiTaps for that
GPS and phone charger will be fine with the 22 gauge.

I'd say grab some red 14 gauge and we should be fine.

We can use the PosiTaps if you really want to, but I solder and heatshrink all of my connections.

Heated grips, heated seat, cell phone charger, GPS, and LED lights.Lights are already wired up but running off the battery posts as are the heated grips.

GPS and phone charger will be fine with the 22 gauge.

I'd say grab some red 14 gauge and we should be fine.

We can use the PosiTaps if you really want to, but I solder and heatshrink all of my connections.
Good...can you help with my Centech AP1 install?